2012 Drum Corps International World Class Championships

Has the prediction thread started yet?....lol

No but I'm betting BK gets picked 12th or 13th a bunch... And Boston... People always seem to pick them out of finals... Lol

No but I'm betting BK gets picked 12th or 13th a bunch... And Boston... People always seem to pick them out of finals... Lol

If BK finally changes their uniform (they are the corps that has gone longest without an update) I will predict them 7th :-)

2012 was one of the more non competitive drum corps seasons in recent memory. Very little change in placement throughout the season & the outcome of every show was fairly easy to predict. There was never any suspense or question how the judges would score each corps.

God forbid if the Blue Devils show style catches on and is copied by other corps. What I just don't understand is, it is human nature to want to be liked & accepted by others. Why doesn't the BD staff ever decide that they are going to be the crowd favorite & design a show that fans love? I still listen to 1976, 77, 78, 79, 80 & 81 Blue Devils? Does anyone actually listen to BD's 2012 show? Frankly, it makes my ears bleed & my head hurt.

DCI is at a crossroads & must make scoring changes to reward crowd appeal & reaction. Like I have said before, they should create a new caption worth 1 or 2 points & let the crowd vote via their cell phones for their favorites. We live in a different world now, a world full of technology, connectivity, reality, & social networking. The drum corps activity has embraced technology like synths & amplification, & it is time that the fans get to play a small part in the outcome of shows. DCI could also use a decibel meter to gauge crowd response.

Speaking of reality, I wonder if DCI or a corps has ever pitched the idea of a reality TV show about drum corps?

2012...ho hum...

• Like 2

I think Michael Cesario was right when he said BK's show was designed to win in 2015. By then you will see most of the corps with these types of shows.

I think it's a good thing.

You will never see Boston with that type of show!!!...If so, I'll eat crow!

haha..true Wes.

I returned to my hotel from Lucas Oil Stadium about an hour ago. It was quite a show.

I would have loved to have seen the gold go to Crown, and it can and will be argued that Crown should not be the runners' up, but I also can see why Blue Devils won. Both shows had title potential. My preference is for what Crown did, and I will have to be honest, BD's tribute to "Dada" was not my taste, but BD did what they attempted to do, and they nailed their show and that's what competition is all about--doing what has to be done to win.

However, the Crown/BD rivalry is not all that happened. Phantom's show really came together as the season ended, Cadets were visibly disappointed and I can understand why since they topped both Phantom and Crown at different times this season, but they shouldn't have been. Their show was one of the feel good shows of the evening and one of the most entertaining shows of the year. They can also march well and the color guard always moves. Both Santa Clara and Madison have their stride back. I'd watch SCV next year and to those in the Spring were predicting Madison would probably not make finals and their best years were yesteryears, you may need to do some rethinking. My favorites, Boston Crusaders gained ground this evening and it w s great to see Crossmen back where they belong. I really enjoyed Bluecoats and their staff and the parents I met in Indy seem really nice people, but that has nothing to do with tonight's show, just an aside. Spirit didn't have the best show this evening, but it was still respectable and "Luck Be A Lady" reminded me of the style of Spirit in 79 and 80, that lush sound you just can't seem to get enough of, and my guess is that we'll have more next year. Not quite BK's and Cavies year but they ended it well.

Now one other note: I saw one of the most moving moments in drum corps not at finals, but at the parade. For most corps it's a fun way to end the season, for Blue Stars it must have seemed like the longest mile. Their disappointment was real, but they are such a class act and did a great job. You already have quite a few fans, but I think you gained more today.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

You will never see Boston with that type of show!!!...If so, I'll eat crow!

oh, I see what you did there." crow" is an Avian analogy you inserted to be current and topical. Wes will be impressed

Right Wes ?

• Like 1

2012 was one of the more non competitive drum corps seasons in recent memory. Very little change in placement throughout the season & the outcome of every show was fairly easy to predict. There was never any suspense or question how the judges would score each corps.

You are so utterly and completely full of crap, flam man. There was more in-season movement this year than in a long, long time. There was a ton of caption flipping all year, and the last week in particular. Ask Cadets, Phantom, SCV, Boston, Madison, Cavaliers, Blue Knights, Crossmen, Blue Stars, Colts, and Glassmen if they think this year was stagnant. Ask any percussion section what they thought...

Your disgust at the ultimate winner is very easy to spot. It's ok to not like the winner, but to make up falsehoods to defend your stance is pretty weak, IMO.

• Like 6