HOPING FOR A TIE TONIGHT

On a related note, I wonder how Phantom members and staff felt about their tie in 1996. It was PR's first championship, and BD's eighth.

After how many times they had finished second by close margins, I think they were just happy to finally be on top, even if they shared it. A tie for first is still better than second.

Still hoping for a Crown win, but a tie would still be okay in my book.

Edited by fsubone

Why should number of championships have any bearing? It's a different group of kids!

It can definitely matter to the staff and organization. Many are with their organization for many years.

It can also matter to members to some extent. Some BD 1996 members might have already had rings with BD 1994. As for Phantom, NONE of their members had won a championship (not with Phantom, anyway). It's all about individuals' perceptions.

... are you asking if the Phantom members and staff would've rather finished 2nd?

No. I'm wondering if the tie for first was satisfying enough, or was it frustrating to not be the outright, unrivaled champion.

It can definitely matter to the staff and organization. Many are with their organization for many years.

It can also matter to members to some extent. Some BD 1996 members might have already had rings with BD 1994. As for Phantom, NONE of their members had won a championship (not with Phantom, anyway). It's all about individuals' perceptions.

Part of it could come down to how the corps views winning and end-of-season results. Some corps don't care if they win at the end of the season or not, but some make the trophy their goal for the year. So yes, I'm sure there were kids with Phantom that didn't like the tie, same as I'm sure there were kids in BD who didn't like the tie. But I'm sure the vast majority were elated to know they were the top of DCI for that brief moment. And yes, I've talked to people who were in corps that tied for championships, and weren't happy about having to "share" their trophy and ring. It's stupid, but some people can be poor winners.

Part of it could come down to how the corps views winning and end-of-season results. Some corps don't care if they win at the end of the season or not, but some make the trophy their goal for the year. So yes, I'm sure there were kids with Phantom that didn't like the tie, same as I'm sure there were kids in BD who didn't like the tie. But I'm sure the vast majority were elated to know they were the top of DCI for that brief moment. And yes, I've talked to people who were in corps that tied for championships, and weren't happy about having to "share" their trophy and ring. It's stupid, but some people can be poor winners.

Thanks for your response. I'm sure you are right about there being a variety of opinions from the members.

I was also wondering about staff members, many of whom had been with their organizations for many years. I previously mentioned BD 1996 being their eighth title because for the staff, it was one championship of many. For PR 1996's staff, that championship was their one and only, not to mention hard fought and elusive over the years, considering they had been a contender and very close runner-up for decades.

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I want Crown to win. This win would be SOOO well deserved! :thumbup::worthy:

No win i "deserved" unless its earned on the field...that night, not weighted by any other night, any other year, any event, anything.......nobody Deserves to win because of anything but their performance that night, no matter who it is, as long as its the best...period.

Geoffrey

• Like 5

Thanks for your response. I'm sure you are right about there being a variety of opinions from the members.

I was also wondering about staff members, many of whom had been with their organizations for many years. I previously mentioned BD 1996 being their eighth title because for the staff, it was one championship of many. For PR 1996's staff, that championship was their one and only, not to mention hard fought and elusive over the years, considering they had been a contender and very close runner-up for decades.

Very true. I do often wonder how winning and coming close in viewed from the staff perspective. I think for most of the BD staff, that wasn't their eighth title, probably second, third, or fourth. But with Phantom, it was their first time, so it must have been huge for them. Especially because Phantom was the perennial, "bridesmaid" of DCI, coming in second so many times, for never winning. I think it would just come down to the philosophy of the corps. Was Phantom going out that year just to win a trophy, was BD? I wasn't there, so I don't know, but if the philosophy and goal of the corps that year was to win a title, and everything else was a failure, then the staff might not have been happy about it. If they had these lofty goals of smoking everyone all season, and then they get caught up to at Finals, I'm sure it would be disappointing to some of them. But I would hope that everyone would just be happy they won, not angry because they had to "share it".

If there was a tie, I would of rather it happened last night with Crossmen and Blue Stars.

That would have been great. Get a 13 corps Finals going instead of just the 12. Get an extra performance for free, since they don't have the Open Class champion do an exhibition anymore, do they?