HOPING FOR A TIE TONIGHT

Ok, in all honesty, I am really hoping for a tie tonight between Carolina Crown and Blue Devils.

Both corps are pushing Drum Corps and Marching Music into new boundaries but in very different ways. BD deserves to win on the all encompassing production design they have put together and Crown deserves to win for sheer difficulty and pushing the limits of what a brass line can accomplish in this medium.

I'd hate to see one corps win over the other and as a result, discouraging further pursuit of the innovation of the runner-up simply because they didn't win. I think both corps deserve to be rewarded for the standards of excellence they are each achieving and establishing out there on those 100 yards of real estate.

This is of course given that they put on the best shows of their lives tonight, and if they do, then I can't think of a better year for there to be a shared Championship!

Edited by marchingartist
  • Like 6

It's not going to happen.

• Like 1

1st place ties aren't allowed anymore in DCI.

/EDIT

Nevermind, I have been proven wrong, haha.

Edited by kaseyW

1st place ties aren't allowed anymore in DCI.

They're allowed again.

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=222ba8af-d8e6-44cd-9952-77c2575edf73

This rule change was not expected, but when introduced by the Cadets’ George Hopkins, passed unanimously.

Since 2001, a rule has been in place that any ties for first place would be resolved at all shows based on the placement of the corps within individual captions (ordinals). The membership voted to eliminate this rule. Now, if there is a tie for first place at any DCI contest, both corps will be awarded first place.

Monterastelli explained the new rule noting, “The judges make their decision when they give the corps their scores. Under the old rule, it would be artificially decided – after the scores are presented – that only one of those corps that tied should be awarded first place. We accept that the judges did their job and made the final decision regarding the score.”

Read more: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=222ba8af-d8e6-44cd-9952-77c2575edf73#ixzz23H8A1b00

One might think that a tie would be satisfying to both top contenders, but a tie would just open up a whole other point of contention.

On a related note, I wonder how Phantom members and staff felt about their tie in 1996. It was PR's first championship, and BD's eighth.

Oh...well, thanks for clarifying that.

One might think that a tie would be satisfying to both top contenders, but a tie would just open up a whole other point of contention.

On a related note, I wonder how Phantom members and staff felt about their tie in 1996. It was PR's first championship, and BD's eighth.

Why should number of championships have any bearing? It's a different group of kids!

• Like 3

If there was a tie, I would of rather it happened last night with Crossmen and Blue Stars.

• Like 3