Blue Devils show I understand..

OK, I'm now a confirmed dada-ist. Got my membership card and I can explain in detail every part of Blue Devils show. Understanding it of course, is why I like it, as I'm sure many Planeteers will back me up on that point.

But I just can't like Phantom's show. Forget the incredible music, the precision marching, that really doesn't matter in the long term. What really matters, and what I would like someone to explain to me, is... (drum roll please,preferably the one done by BD with the impossibly difficult acellerondo)

...In the very end of Phantom's show, the horn line guy finally gets the girl, and they come right down the middle of the 50, I suppose they will get married or something, then suddenly, the lovely young princess continues running and leaves him high and dry, and the DRUM MAJOR, who hasn't indicated any interest whatsover up till now, gets the girl!

What's up with that? Could somebody 'splain?

I'd really like to be able to like this show.

Edited by wvu80

OK, I'm now a confirmed dada-ist. Got my membership card and I can explain in detail every part of Blue Devils show. Understanding it of course, is why I like it, as I'm sure many Planeteers will back me up on that point.

But I just can't like Phantom's show. Forget the incredible music, the precision marching, that really doesn't matter in the long term. What really matters, and what I would like someone to explain to me, is... (drum roll please,preferably the one done by BD with the impossibly difficult acellerondo)

...In the very end of Phantom's show, the horn line guy finally gets the girl, and they come right down the middle of the 50, I suppose they will get married or something, then suddenly, the lovely young princess continues running and leaves him high and dry, and the DRUM MAJOR, who hasn't indicated any interest whatsover up till now, gets the girl!

What's up with that? Could somebody 'splain?

Just the way the world works. Getting dumped on the wedding night. How cliche!

The drum major didn't get the girl, the prince did. Watch again., And last year Romeo and Juliet both died, only ending with one on the podium. What you described doesn't always happen.

My advice: Don't try to find a story to follow. Just enjoy the artistry, particularly in the color guard. Then, when the corps starts Nessun Dorma, enjoy what you hear, because it's fantastic. You might even close your eyes on the lead up to the big hit.

Don't try and over-think it.

• Like 4

Check out Cadets 2010 drum feature, they do the same effect! It's cool!

Or Phantom 2005, BD 2000, SCV 2009, etc. There are tons of corps that have put big accels into their drum features. (BD 2000 wins for me)

• Like 1

Check out Cadets 2010 drum feature, they do the same (drum roll accelerondo) effect! It's cool!

I'm a drummer. Trust me, it's not just cool (which it is) it's impossible, impossible to clean with 8 or 9 snares. It's hard enough when you try to clean just your own drum roll starting slow like that!

BD and Cadets are the best. :thumbup:

My advice: Don't try to find a story to follow. Just enjoy the artistry, particularly in the color guard. Then, when the corps starts Nessun Dorma, enjoy what you hear, because it's fantastic. You might even close your eyes on the lead up to the big hit.

Don't try and over-think it.

In the dictionary next to the word "corpsgasm" it says : See Nessun Dorma as performed by 2012 Phantom Regiment

Edited by skajerk
  • Like 1