Blue Devils show I understand..

Elp,heh...Brain salad surgery...

The show was like a dream. That's probably one of the best ways to describe it IMO. Musical reprisals interrupted with flying hoola hoops and strangely interlaced narrations and utterings combined with hot brass/percussive licks....like listening to some of the bizarre lyrics from Yes,or the video from Herbie Hancock's 'Rockit'...gonna take awhile to straighten the cranium out.....regardless,I can't put this on while driving my Firehawk with the tops off, windows down and volume up. I'd be looked at like I were a few gallons short of a full tank!

Edited by Sportster

I checked Wikipedia and there is NOTHING about the opera which includes a color guard member ditching a horn player for a drum major. Phantom's ending was really not believable.

I mean, it's the DRUMMERS who get all the hot guard divas, right? Now that I could believe. :cool:

I'm sorry but where the heck in the show does this happen? I thought the show finishes with the horn player and the guard member on the podium? Or are the cameras not showing the part you're mentioning?

• Like 1

I dont think FZ intended lumpy gravy to be dada. Its more along the ideas of John Cage and randomness.

those Cagean ideas were born in dada - many straight from the manifesto. Duchamp and Cage were chess buddies.

This is one reason I state that is the " lost book". You can find dADa influence accross the board in just about every modern art form and movement today. But most of the books have one paragraph dedicated to DAda before surrealism. It is like it was killed with the holocaust.

Edited by Kevin Powell

Cher Blue Devils:

Tournez le Français Narration le heck off. K? Remerciements

• Like 2

Was this a finals change? cuz I thoght it was the same prince Calaf with her on the podium.

This show is a great introduction into the lost book of the of the art history bible.

You've got a lot of overdue books there, mister.

The drum major left the podium and went off to the side to conduct once the closer started. That left the podium open for the princess and the horn player. The princess does run away from the horn player to go to the podium, but he just follows her and they embrace on the podium to finish. The drum major is off to the side.

This is the best thing I have ever seen on any stage or theater ever! This is the kind of stuff that always went on in my head and now i know I'm not alone. I always knew there was more than just plain old drum corps.. company fronts, old music etc. (which is great too) If you don't like it fine. don't ruin it for those of us that do! No one is forcing you to watch it.

Finally someone does something that I really like! Bravo.

My advice: Don't try to find a story to follow. Just enjoy the artistry, particularly in the color guard. Then, when the corps starts "Nessun Dorma", enjoy what you hear, because it's fantastic. You might even close your eyes on the lead up to the big hit.

Don't try and over-think it.

Actually, I'm all for that approach to drum corps, unlike RockyGranite with the concept of "JABOM/M" ("Just a Bunch of Music and Marching") that he introduced to DCP this year. However, once a corps decides to use their show to tell a story, they should at least make it intelligible and consistent. Spirit, for instance, focused our attention on one guard member when the voiceover talked about the importance of taking that "one shot", but focused on an entirely different guard member when the voice-sample announced that he was going "all in" on his big opportunity (as he made a rifle toss that wasn't all that high), only to put the first guard member back into the spotlight for the final image of the evening.