2013 Predictions

some people will go because they hate what they're seeing and want to explain it on dcp later

You actually believe that there are people that will take the time, energy, and expense to go great distances to sit through a several hours long Drum Corps show so that they can come back to DCP later to explain what they hated in the shows ? Thats their motivation to go to shows ? DCP ? And these fans presumbably do this often ?

You are just pulling our leg here Lance, right ? You don't seriously believe this.

Or do you ?

Edited by BRASSO

And pigs will fly.

I like your thinking.

• Like 2

If you put the top corps on first no one would stay till the end, just look at how many people don't show up till the top 12 go on. The only type of randomization that would work is spacing corps out from throughout the event, beginning, middle and end. However, I must say I much prefer how the lineup is already done because it gives credit to scoring well.

So could this be the reason why Drum Corps is dying then? Because people only care about the current top groups. . You yourself proved my point that the top corps won't want order to be mixed up. When fans of top corps don't want it, why would they?

Why not have every NON regional show be random order. . . and then the regional be based off of average of your scores. The current system does not offer a fair scoring chance for all corps. Personally it seems like the lower corps that are touring are wasting money right now, but DCI doesn't think that because they are advertising for them. So of course they will say "oh judging is changing, blah blah blah" but in reality nothing is changing.

EDIT: I have no idea how I am getting flamed on a prediction thread? I guess my 12 should be Crown, Cavaliers, Phantom, Cadets, Scouts, Vanguard, Coats, Surf, Troop, Bones, BAC, BK with BD missing at 13th?? Anyway, I guess I'll go back and sugar coat some things and add a put up and a put down so I dont hurt anymore feelings..

1.BD- Up: Their talent pool is not going to shrink because of their shows. If that was true, it would have been happening by now.

Down:Another weird show that people are gonna not like.

2.PR- Up: Staff concistency will be key here, with the addition of Gwaltney tweaking some things making their percussion a non-issue.

Down: Well not really a down, but they don't care about their score, just as long as they get you on your feet. So look for more things done tastefully and not just hard for the sake of being hard. But everyonce in a while, thats their doom on the sheets.

3.Crown- Up:Talented people are hungry to win, and to win with Crown.

Down: Like this year, they are going to over-compensate for what was said the previous year and have a superbly cleaned but watered down show

4.Bloo- Up:Extremely talented group as of late, and possibly the most under-appreciated corps this season.

Down: You never know if their designs are gonna be awesome until you actually see it.

5.SCV- Up:They pretty much got their stuff together this year... so look forwarded to a very strong group next season.

Down: The only down for them is how up the 4 ahead of them are.

6.Cadets- Up:I just cant really see anyone else punching through the top 6 barrier with the calliber already up there.

Down: I am afraid, next year may not be very fan friendly, as I think judging by his facebook account, Hop is just fed up with everything.

7.Cavies- Up: They always have that late season surge.

Down:I still think its gonna be a make or break it year for this group, argue if you want, but its my gut feeling. If they place here or lower next year, look for them to stay in the mid-pack for a couple more years.

8.BAC- Up:Edge over Madison just because of this year. Better every year!

Down: I personally lose interest in their shows as of late.

9.Madison- Up: DRUM CORPS!!!

Down: They have the equation right to put together an amazing flat out "drum corps" show, which just isnt the same equation to win anymore, and they won't care, because they do what they do with swagger.

10.Spirit- Up: They got a bunch of momentum!

Down: Still have some growing up to do before they can go higher in what I believe with be the most competitive year ever, and for a long time to come.

11.Stars- Up: Edge over BK cuz im a homer, but they have the credentials to bounce back. And the corps is back in the right hands. Gonna be a good year.

Down: Their talent pool is going to shrink significantly after two years of decline.

12.BK- Up: They seem to be preping for the drum corps of tomorrow.

Down: Just kinda dissapointed with them after how much I loved them in 2011. And that finals run just leaves a visual bad taste in my mouth.

13.Xmen- Up: Great staff, exciting future.

Down: No offense, I think they were thrown a "bone"(hahahahahahahahahahaha so proud of myself for that one) this year. They have the model to stay highley competitve for years to come, dont count them out.

Is that better?

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 3

BD and Crown will take Gold and Silver, respectively; however, the stories will be a bit different next year (yet still the same)

BD will produce a show that is VERY MUCH like Crown's this year with lots of melodic music playing while marching at a very fast pace; however, overall show design will be better than Crown's this year.

Crown, hot on the heels of BD, will relent and do an artsy show, very much in line with what BD did this year.

Many DCPers and the crowd will still love Crown.

Many DCPers and the crowd will still hate BD.

• Like 2

thoughts for 2012and 2013

BD-Just the best by far, dont see that changing

Crown-Great show ,very hard, a distant second, Higher ,faster ,louder does not seem to work.

Phantom ,great year with all the staff changing. 2013 the unknown .Phantom is still Phantom

Cadets-xmas show better than I thought. Down year in 2013 after rough winter

SCV -Good but not great, some design problems, 2013 corps on the rise.

Bluecoats-Stuck on the middle of the pack, 2013 stuck in the middle of the pack.

Boston -How did they finish 7th? good job. 2013 more of the same.

Cavies-Trouble design , 2013 more of the same after tallent pool lessens.

Madison - Great staff finished 10,10,9 in the new madison era. not the top5 we hoped.

Blue Knights - weird but good. More of the same will get them out of 12 in 2013.

Spirit-I read a post saying Dutch Boy lite. and I agree. need Spirit identity.

Crossmen -really turned it on at end . Should have beaten Spirit in finals. 2013 if that Texas tallent stays home watch out.

Blue Stars-2 bad seasons in a row could be trouble

Glassmen -2 bad seasons in a row could be trouble

Academy-Better design needed. Brass needs fix.Guard fix.

Pc -great year, good corps. 2013 brings more.

Colts-Some trouble brewing here.

Troopers-Some trouble brewing here.

Surf-Go back to being Surf but stay fun. Mid tempo tunes from the 70's not a good choice.

Mandrins-Better show in 2012. 2013 ?

Cascades-need to recruit

Pioneer-The reverse identity problem. theirs is killing them.

No facts here. Just opinions,

Or another way of looking at it, Boston has risen in placement position at Finals 3 out out of the last 4 seasons. Not too shabby. The question is whether or not the Boston Crusaders can build on this recent success and move up even higher. I don't know, and have no idea. But as long as they continue to put an entertaining show out on the field with understandable music and with not a lot of gibberish talking, voice overs, thunerderous goo from the pit area, and so forth, I'll be a fan of theres no matter where they place.

Now, if we can then get the cowboys and cowgirls from that Corps out in Wyoming to set aside themes from " The Theatre " or New York City Broadway's " West Side Story " and so forth, and find themselves some unique Americana western motif themes, then I 'll be an even happier camper. They've been to the NY Theatre for a bit now and its time now perhaps to follow a new theme that even old Horace Greeley might agree with when he said long ago to a young person that asked him for his sage advice on a career path to follow. Greeley told him.... " Go West, young Man ". Thats my unsolicited advice to The Troopers now if they wanted my 2 cents worth value on what to do next re. a theme for 2013.

Over the pass 4 of 5 years i have seen an increase of talent level of these kids on the rise in all area's. I have also notice the overall show design in the top 9, get better each year as well. I think if this continues and the changes in the (judging system), you will see a more competitive competition and placements out of the top 8 and as well as in the top12. As we have seen in the past two years show design's that have not worked BS and Cav's has played a major factor in placements of top ranking corps (just saying). Two Corps that are pushing these changes are Boston and Madison with more competitive shows. Looking forward if this trend continues: Top 8 anyone can beat anyone on any given night. Have a great day.

Edited by emc2

So could this be the reason why Drum Corps is dying then? Because people only care about the current top groups. . You yourself proved my point that the top corps won't want order to be mixed up. When fans of top corps don't want it, why would they?

Why not have every NON regional show be random order. . . and then the regional be based off of average of your scores. The current system does not offer a fair scoring chance for all corps. Personally it seems like the lower corps that are touring are wasting money right now, but DCI doesn't think that because they are advertising for them. So of course they will say "oh judging is changing, blah blah blah" but in reality nothing is changing.

It would also force the judges to actually judge instead giving them a hint ahead of time of how the order is supposed to be.

I like the idea of randomization...a lot.

• Like 1

It would also force the judges to actually judge instead giving them a hint ahead of time of how the order is supposed to be.

I like the idea of randomization...a lot.

Although no process is without flaws and a hybrid approach (randomization within slots/blocks, vice versa, etc) is perhaps most workable, I'm inclined to agree.

• Like 1