2013 Predictions

You want us to believe the Crossmen's "product" :laughing: moved up over 2 and a half points in 5 days WITHOUT help? Can you point out any other corps that had this kind of improvement?

Sorry. NEVER!

I started attending championships in 1996, so the first one to come to mind is Phantom Regiment 1996. I believe they picked up something like 3.7 on the Blue Devils in a span of 2 days.

I would have to defer to others on whether there were extenuating circumstances there, but over the years I have seen many other corps surge or plummet relative to each other in the last few days, so much so that your example doesn't really really look all that extreme to me.

• Like 1

This is not so much of a prediction, more of a hope:

I hope someone does a faithful production of Les Miserables. I know BAC did it in 2011 but I just didn't like their arrangement. Is SCV can pull something like this off, bringing back the theatrics like we saw in 1989, I would simply (figuratively) die in happiness! I just saw the live musical at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco and absolutely LOVED IT! Cried the whole way.

I mean, think about the possibilities!

SCVs hornline/drums will be the military against the rebels.

SCVs CG are the rebels and represent the main characters.

Everyone will be in raggedy clothing but at the same time, we can separate many of the main characters of Les Miz to stand out like...

• Jean Valjean
  • Javert
  • Fantine (who later changes to blend in with everyone else after her death)
  • Eponine (who also changes to blend in after death)
  • Madame Thenardier (whom SCV can cast a more heavy set woman for the role)
  • Cosette
  • Marius

The ballad would be "I Dreamed a Dream", with the closer being "Do You Hear the People Sing?" The opener can be the literal opener of Les Miz like in the musical with songs like "At the End of the Day and Master of the House" in between. There can be an awesome representation of the barricade with a large prop that CG climbs to fight the military (SCV).

Sorry for going on about this but this was a totally vivid dream I had last night LOL.

1345143598[/url]' post='3207201']

Partly what I hope to happen, primarily what I expect to happen.

1) Blue Devils - There's just no reason to expect anyone else to win.

2) Santa Clara Vanguard - I feel like they're going to rise even more

3) Carolina Crown - We'll see if they prove me wrong. I'm worried that since 2012 didn't win they'll just keep writing the show harder and harder until it breaks through, rather than more creative and innovative design.

4) Cadets - An off year by odd-year standards for the Cadets

5) Phantom Regiment

6) The Cavaliers - I really can't see them being down two years in a row. We'll see.

7) Bluecoats - Another good year, but the top corps are just too good

8) Madison Scouts - Maybe an early show announcement can lead to some more momentum, the crowd is just waiting for this corps to break in

9) Boston Crusaders - I'm surprised they were as high as they were anyway

10) Blue Knights

11) Blue Stars - I feel like they deserved this spot last year, I don't believe they as much credit as they deserve

12) Crossmen

13) Spirit of Atlanta - Not buying into their hype yet. Maybe they can prove me wrong, since everyone else loves them it could just be me

14) Glassmen

15) Pacific Crest - Definitely breaking out of the lower tier of world class

16) Academy

17) Colts

(Oregon Crusaders) - Hopefully they get more recognition for what they do. It's a shame Open Class finals had 1/17th of the attendance of World Class finals. And great performance does not mean they should jump to world class, they may not have the financial structure in place to go from Oregon through Texas and Atlanta on their way to Indy, being Open Class is working just fine for them.

18) Jersey Surf - We'll see where their show design goes next year, I hope they can keep the charm from the Bridgemen while keeping their own identity.

19) Troopers - Too much talent to drop further, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them beat Surf or challenge the Colts

(Blue Devils B)

(Vanguard Cadets)

20) Teal Sound - I hope they can resurge again, I always enjoy these shows.

22) Seattle Cascades

23) Pioneer

(Rest of open)

You forgot the Mandarins

barigirl78 is correct. I made a mistake in listing the Blue Stars score for the Dublin show. It should read 82.2. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. I went back and made the correction to the original posting. It does not change the results. The Blue Stars still won all 7 head-to-head meetings with the Crossmen this summer until the Semi-Finals. And more telling than anything, --as I pointed out, we are being asked to believe the Crossmen's "product" moved up over 2 and a half points in 5 days WITHOUT help between August 5 and 10. I'm waiting for someone to site a similar example of any other corps that had this kind of miraculous improvement in 2012?

Plain and simple, the Blue Stars got screwed. And along with the Troopers, they are the two corps who are continually treated with No Respect. So back to the original question; my prediction for 2013? I would not be surprised if both corps folded or decided to sit the season out.

Martin I. Zing

--Retired

The Blue Stars own motto, "Finis Coranat Opus" (The end crowns the work), points to the notion that what happens throughout the season is meaningless, that the "end" is what matters. Ironic, considering your take on the season.

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 1

I started attending championships in 1996, so the first one to come to mind is Phantom Regiment 1996. I believe they picked up something like 3.7 on the Blue Devils in a span of 2 days.

I would have to defer to others on whether there were extenuating circumstances there, but over the years I have seen many other corps surge or plummet relative to each other in the last few days, so much so that your example doesn't really really look all that extreme to me.

Whether it was that Phantom Regiment had a bad show or was simply underscored at quarterfinals in 1996, the result was that they came away that night both p_ _ _ ed off and more determined than ever. Blue Stars was a great corps, good enough to be a finalist. Problem was that 12 other corps were as well. It was the opinion of the judges on Friday that Crossmen made a better case to be in finals overall. It is always a matter of opinion with judges, but it is not a matter of a corps being screwed, discriminated against or picked on.

By the way, the Blue Stars membership that I saw after they learned that they had missed finals handled the result with a lot of class and dignity.

Edited by PR ROCKS

This is not so much of a prediction, more of a hope:

I hope someone does a faithful production of Les Miserables. I know BAC did it in 2011 but I just didn't like their arrangement. Is SCV can pull something like this off, bringing back the theatrics like we saw in 1989, I would simply (figuratively) die in happiness! I just saw the live musical at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco and absolutely LOVED IT! Cried the whole way.

I mean, think about the possibilities!

SCVs hornline/drums will be the military against the rebels.

SCVs CG are the rebels and represent the main characters.

Everyone will be in raggedy clothing but at the same time, we can separate many of the main characters of Les Miz to stand out like...

• Jean Valjean
  • Javert
  • Fantine (who later changes to blend in with everyone else after her death)
  • Eponine (who also changes to blend in after death)
  • Madame Thenardier (whom SCV can cast a more heavy set woman for the role)
  • Cosette
  • Marius

The ballad would be "I Dreamed a Dream", with the closer being "Do You Hear the People Sing?" The opener can be the literal opener of Les Miz like in the musical with songs like "At the End of the Day and Master of the House" in between. There can be an awesome representation of the barricade with a large prop that CG climbs to fight the military (SCV).

Sorry for going on about this but this was a totally vivid dream I had last night LOL.

NeutralNovice I'm with you. I like your thinking. With the movie coming out at Christmas, your idea is can't miss or should I say Can't Miz! :biggrin:

But with the way things have been going in drum corps over the last few seasons, SCV would be taking a huge risk by joining Madison, Jersey Surf, Carolina Crown and others in this direction. You know the trouble don't you? :sarcasm: You can actually hum and remember the melodies of all the tunes in Les Miz. This would put them in a huge disadvantage against BD and many of the other artsy fartsy corps. Also the MAJORITY of the people sitting in the stadiums would be ENTERTAINED. I don't think dci could handle that kind of position PR.

But keep it up. We need your type of Dreamers! :thumbup:

• Like 1

And now back to my fellow conspiracy theorists.

FACT: Garfield Cadets 2012 Schedule - 32 Shows prior to Finals week. Crossmen 2012 Schedule - 28 Shows prior to Finals week. Shared appearances - 21. Distance between home bases - 1740 miles.

Please start drawing your own conclusions. If you have any facts or theories that you don't wish to post on the public Forum, please feel free to send me a Private Message.

Thank you.

Martin I. Zing

--Investigator

And now back to my fellow conspiracy theorists.

FACT: Garfield Cadets 2012 Schedule - 32 Shows prior to Finals week. Crossmen 2012 Schedule - 28 Shows prior to Finals week. Shared appearances - 21. Distance between home bases - 1740 miles.

Please start drawing your own conclusions. If you have any facts or theories that you don't wish to post on the public Forum, please feel free to send me a Private Message.

Thank you.

Martin I. Zing

--Investigator

Yup, it's well known that getting 10-pointed by the Cadets all summer is the sure-fire way to squeak into finals. Those silly Blue Star guys should've planned a better tour. :blink: :blink:

Wait, is this the Dada thread?

• Like 4