2013 Predictions

These are always fun. I'll bite...

1. Carolina Crown

Clean up the drumline and bam--title. The design last year was otherworldly, and as long as the brass staff stays intact, there's no reason they won't win horns again. The education and methodology in that instructional team is head-and-shoulders above the rest of DCI.

--- The Blue Devils are on line one. They would like to tell you otherwise.

2. Blue Devils

Staff retention wins championships (unless, I suppose, you retain a sucky staff for two decades). These guys have it. From what we saw last year, they can put John Cage's 4'33" on a field and still somehow win it all. Cleanliness and design that's never as physically demanding as corps around them usually guarantees rings for the Blue Devils. Though, I'd love to see them try and play as well as they did while marching Crown's drill from last year. If Crown can beat them in brass with that big of a physical demand gap, think of much Crown is actually out-performing them. Scary stuff.

Everyone who's read my postings for the last six years on here knows that I'm not the biggest advocate of BD. However, last year's show finally got it right as far as music, visual, and overall design for their take on being avant-garde. Last year had the most musical book and less of the percussive tones (as I like to call them) from BD in a while. They did play extremely well (especially with the amount of rookies they had!). And if you paid any attention, you would've seen that they were booking it and playing in several sections. Compared to Crown, they had a better design that was appropriate and achievable for their program. Kudos to Crown for achieving what they did...too bad they don't have the caliber of drill designer that other corps have.

3. Bluecoats

Absolutely sick drumline last year, and their design staff really found "it" last year, whatever "it" is. Always a great brass sound--now it's just time to get that guard up to par.

4. The Cadets

Show concept and source music seem great. Seems like these guys always bring it after "meh" years. Possibly the corps I'm the most excited to see this season.

5. Phantom Regiment

Turandot was my favorite Phantom show since '05. Always a fun corps to listen to, even when I'm not into the music itself. Just love the intensity they put out year after year. Visual design needs a BIG step up from last year's high school band drill. This is DCI, people. Give these kids a better visual book and let them rock it!

6. Santa Clara Vanguard

You can never count SCV out of the hunt. Their brass acquisitions were great last year, and I'm sure another season will only help solidify their sound even more. Smokin' drumline. I haven't really noticed their guard much post-2004, but then again, the drill always gives so many great things to focus on. I'd like to see their demand upped from last year. Looked like most of that show could have been marched in the members' sleep.

7. Madison Scouts

With the Cavaliers in a rut and last year's kick-### show, recruiting should be ridiculous in Madison. I was never a big fan of theirs (save for 96 and the year they did Uninvited as the intro), but I couldn't get enough of their 2012 show. This group can hit the judging sheets while still clearly catering to the people in the stands. Can't wait to see what this year brings considering their classic source music.

8. Boston Crusaders

Too much talent and too good of an instructional staff to place them lower, realistically. Other than Red and Eve, I've never cared one bit for a BAC program. I'd love to see a more engaging vehicle than last year. The kids can clearly handle just about whatever you throw at them.

9. The Cavaliers

I'm almost tempted to put them lower. A lot more than just the drill writer changed in Rosemont last year. Without spilling here, I would just recommend talking to a Cavalier vet who has marched at least two years. Lots of interesting stories. I've been a die-hard fan since 1999, and would LOVE to see them hop back on and start tearing things up again. This might be my biggest toss-up of the entire Top 12.

10. (tie) Blue Knights

Avian was just... out there. In a really, really good way. They just keep getting talent and doing their own crazy, unique thing out in Denver and it seems to work.

10. (tie) Blue Stars

Saucedo + Bluecoats brass staffers + Pulse Percussion guys + Michael Shapiro = back in finals with an exclamation point. Last year, the design team dropped the ball hard (ok, really just the drill, but that effed up seemingly everything to some degree). I expect this corps to come back as hungry and as angry as ever.

12. Spirit

Fun music and entertaining design choices the last couple years. Now, let's see if they can march something that isn't as absurdly easy as 80% of Sin City was (my same beef with the Crossmen, as much as I love 'em). Speakeasy should be a blast.

And, honorable mention to The Academy in 13th. Left of Spring was mind-blowing. Bring it again in 2013 and see if you can't knock one of the big boys out of finals next time.

I'm so sick of hearing this nonsense. Do you think they would've scored as well as they did in GE Visual and the rest of the visual captions if it were truly high school drill? Because it was appropriately staged and musical, it did well. Jamey and KC know exactly what they're doing. To do well visually, highly complex and difficult drill all the time isn't necessary. It actually does worse under the new sheets since the analysis now requires a "why" in the scoring more than just the "how" and the "what." If you're just running around for the sake of it and/or it's not achievable, then you won't score well (there has to be a logical reason for what you're doing). And just because it doesn't look difficult, doesn't mean it is easy. The kids who marched that show will say otherwise. At least they marched their whole show and didn't lay down on the ground for three minutes...three whole ####### minutes without any significant visual design!

Edited by chaos001
  • Like 7

I'm so sick of hearing this nonsense. Do you think they would've scored as well as they did in GE Visual and the rest of the visual captions if it were truly high school drill? Because it was appropriately staged and musical, it did well. Jamey and KC know exactly what they're doing. To do well visually, highly complex and difficult drill all the time isn't necessary. It actually does worse under the new sheets since the analysis now requires a "why" in the scoring more than just the "how" and the "what." If you're just running around for the sake of it and/or it's not achievable, then you won't score well (there has to be a logical reason for what you're doing). And just because it doesn't look difficult, doesn't mean it isn't. The kids who marched that show will say otherwise. At least they marched their whole show and didn't lay down on the ground for three minutes...three whole ####### minutes without any significant visual design!

worthy.gif

• Like 7

I'm so sick of hearing this nonsense. Do you think they would've scored as well as they did in GE Visual and the rest of the visual captions if it were truly high school drill? Because it was appropriately staged and musical, it did well. Jamey and KC know exactly what they're doing. To do well visually, highly complex and difficult drill all the time isn't necessary. It actually does worse under the new sheets since the analysis now requires a "why" in the scoring more than just the "how" and the "what." If you're just running around for the sake of it and/or it's not achievable, then you won't score well (there has to be a logical reason for what you're doing). And just because it doesn't look difficult, doesn't mean it isn't. The kids who marched that show will say otherwise. At least they marched their whole show and didn't lay down on the ground for three minutes...three whole ####### minutes without any significant visual design!

Ditto, while it wasn't the hardest out there, it was one of the most elegant and gorgeous designs out there in awhile. Hardly high school band drill.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

Except for BD, of course.....the most stable staff in the activity.

The Blue Devils are a well oiled machine and deserve nothing but respect, but I almost feel like the fans who constantly chime in to brag about the Blue Devils when they're not being mentioned make the corps a little bit less likable for some.

It shouldn't be a total mystery when people single your corps out in the summer, even if they do perform a perfect re-enactment of 1986 show.

• Like 1

At least they marched their whole show and didn't lay down on the ground for three minutes...three whole ####### minutes without any significant visual design!

You go girlfriend....

I'm rocking my head from side to side while doing the finger click thing.... take my word for it.

• Like 1

You go girlfriend....

I'm rocking my head from side to side while doing the finger click thing.... take my word for it.

go on admit it, you're all doing it too now..............

• Like 1

go on admit it, you're all doing it too now..............

All right, I just did it too!

I would love to see SCV, Phantom, Cadets, Cavies or BD win. I love them all.

I'd like to see SCV in the top three this year! Absolutely loved their show in 2012. Would also like to see my hometown corps, the Academy, make it in the top 12 next summer! Speaking of the Academy, does anybody have news regarding the turnout at their recent audition camp? I've heard nothing. Good luck to all corps in 2013!

Edited by tubamarc8891