2013 Predictions

Cadets '89 is the second-highest scoring fifth-place show ever.

You will reply: "Comparisons of scores from different years mean nothing!" And I will concede, because I prefer Cadets '89 to the highest-scored fifth-place performance: SCV '09.

I would reply that it's a fantastic show on its own merit, but it came across as a "Music of Les Mis" show, as opposed to a "Les Mis" show, if that makes sense. I'm hoping for the latter from SCV. For the record, my favorite 5th-place show of the 15 or so I've seen (most on FN) is SCV '09. :P Agree to disagree.

Double post.

Edited by Tyler C.

1. Blue Devils

2. Bluecoats

3. Blue Stars

4. Blue Knights

5. Blue Saints

6-12. All the other colors.

Oh sure,.. it appears you're showing your true colors now, Appleknocker.

Since it's Move-Ins month, Ill give it a try.

I normally add spaces to indicate my "tiers" given a 2 point or less spread. Pretty pointless this early, but I dont care if you dont. The +'s & -'s are just how far I think it is reasonable that they can move up or down.

Remember these are all my opinions folks.

1. Blue Devils- Last year grew on me a lot. I think BD is going to capitalize on the opportunity to please fans and judges at the same time with this show. (+0,-1)

2. Crown- As long as they improve on visual and percussion at all, 2nd should be a safe bet. (+1,-2)

3. The Cadets- This really just depends on if this show idea works as well as what is in their heads. They could be as low as 5th if it doesnt. (+1, -2)

4. Phantom Regiment- Not too excited about what I have heard as far as the show design (dont tell my girlfriend) but, it sounds like all sections have more talent. (+1, -3)

5. Santa Clara Vanguard- I have them in 5th just because of the ?'s surrounded how the Bluecoats brass will work out with new staff. (+0, -3)

6. Bluecoats- Still kinda confused on their show idea. (+1, -2)

7. Cavaliers- I have said it here before, their name is done carrying them. Designs lately IMO are designs for 2015+ and they are forgetting about the now. We will see what their talent pool is like now. (+3,-1)

8. Boston Crusaders- 8th and 9th is really a toss up. If they are equal to the Cavaliers, I think the judges will hand it to the Cavies. (+1, -1)

9. Madison Scouts- I would love to see them as high as 6th. Its gonna come down to one simple aspect. Is the show hard enough? Sooo much potential. (+2, -0)

10. Spirit of Atlanta- These guys have to show that they are in finals to stay. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. (+0,-2)

11. Blue Knights- They had something going for them in 2011, to me 2012 was a large step backwards. (+1, -1)

12. Blue Stars- Some folks still argue about if they shouldnt have made finals last year. With a much improved horn staff, and solid drill, there should be no qestion. (+1, -1)

13. Crossmen- Listing because they have a shot at 12th. Their design carried them into finals last season. (+1, -0)

• Like 1

After seeing Les Mis for the first time this week (bad music major) I am desperate for a true Les Mis show from SCV. I do not want just a greatest hits compilation. I want them to make me cry, multiple times.

• Like 1

Wherever you think Boston is going to place, it will be one place higher.

Except for craiga; you're right. :thumbup:/>/>

You heard it here first.

I agree!

As the season approaches, BAC usually uses phrases that highlight personal best, maintaining tradition while being competitive as a contemporary drum corps, pride, etc. In my opinion they live up to these ideals, but I've also heard them in one form or another from the Boston Crusaders when I was in high school and college and knew people who marched with the corps and heard them most years since, except 1999 and 2000. In both years the predictions were more confident and 99 was the first year they made finals after a too long journey and 2000 was one of their best placements .As the season is approaching, I'm hearing bolder and more confident claims from Crusaders via mailings and alums who are connected with the corps. BAC never hypes and then disappoints. They use confidence and pride in abundance but they use hype sparingly. I'm expecting great things this year.

Now, as I say this, I do realize that remaining in the Top 7 is a daunting challenge. I am under no illusion that BD will have a great fall, I seem to remember a little more enthusaiasm for Crown alast year at this point than this year but that may work to their advantage, Phantom will not give in, Christmas joy is over for the Cadets and they have some avenging to do, SCV wants to return to glory and has the potential to do so, Bluecoats are always underestimated, and Cavie's 8th place finish last year was not a sign of things to come, but BAC is more than a beloved corps with a lot of pluck, last year's 7th place finish was well deserved, and I think we're in for a 2013 being a banner year for BAC.

• Like 1

Wherever you think Boston is going to place, it will be one place higher.

Except for craiga; you're right. :thumbup:/>/>

You heard it here first.

Well, alright... you've convinced me. I had them 13th above, and will move them up to 12th, but you better be right RedandBlack or you're gonna be BlackandBlue.

( haha.. kidding, of course)

Eventually, it might turn out to be accurate... who knows. But who have the Corps " Designs already been presented to " ? The printer ? DCP ? Who ? Just curious thats all, as I really have no idea what this means.

Maybe I am just a cocky person, but upon a show announcement we tend to get a feel if the corps is going to perform it well or not. In 2011 hearing about Angels and Demons you sensed that the Cadets would excel at that, especially when they were going to be integrating 2 uniforms. In 2012 everyone hyped all over when Crown announced For the Common Good, but as all most realistic people said "if Crown steps up their drill and it is clean, watch out." Or say 2010 Cavaliers with Mad World, they are known to perform dark shows in their "manly persona." Or 09 Cavaliers when announced that they would be doing the Great Divide, people weren't as hyped about the design. Of course you know the results of all these shows. And unfortunately I fall into the trap (but I don't really think it's bad) of putting certain corps in the top 6-9 each year. I don't have to see Blue Devils design or musical selections to know there is almost no way they wont be in the top 4. The Bluecoats are almost a shoe-in for 6th and on good years 5th and on bad years 7th. The thing that put Crossmen into the finals last year was design, Blue Stars certainly did not have good design (comparatively).

So it seems like you were more confused on the word "design," but that is basically what anyone in this thread (excluding insiders) can base predictions on so far.

Edited by littlejaw