2013 Predictions

I would reply that it's a fantastic show on its own merit, but it came across as a "Music of Les Mis" show, as opposed to a "Les Mis" show, if that makes sense. I'm hoping for the latter from SCV. For the record, my favorite 5th-place show of the 15 or so I've seen (most on FN) is SCV '09. :P Agree to disagree.

That does make sense. And I disagree! :tongue:/>

Crown finished 6th in Percussion at Finals ( 7th in Semi's ) last season. Its hard to win a Title with any section finishing in these placement spots. But this is a new season, and they start fresh once again.

But even if they got a perfect 20 in percussion, they still would have had about a half point deficit for finals night. Crown has kind of had issues in everything but brass. This year was kind of the exception because all their other captions showed 2nd or 3rd place, but seriously people, 09 and 12 went to the corps that deserved it. We forget that Crown went down to 4th in the two years between (not bad spots, but it's not like their 'due' or something just because they've gotten 2nd before) and even then they barely spared themselves 5th place in 11 via brass. In 2009, Crown wasn't in 2nd until the week of Allentown and was still fell to Cadets the next day in East Rutherford. I think it's more accurate to say that they achieved 2nd place from below rather than settled for 2nd in lieu of 1st. As for '12, they had way too many problems for the top spot and I think should count themselves lucky they weren't placed 3rd or their usual 4th due to percussion and visual design and performance. You could even make a sober argument that their brass wasn't so divinely invincible and BD could have taken at least one night at finals.

How many kids show up to camp or how many rookies or vets you have is a terrible predictor of the season. I think that's an old corps director's tale to get the kids motivated to show up and work hard at camps, hopefully Cadets can prove that this year once and for all should they do well or at least not topple and crumble. The amount of work done between move ins and the first show trumps whatever trivial progress is amounted when you come to a camp for 48 hours once a month. I'm no expert, but I'd guess that this practice is sort of a relic from the times when corps were predominantly or exclusively composed of local kids where getting together on the weekends was much more practical. In addition to that, BD had from what I heard a huge majority of rookies in 12, like 65% and an even bigger portion of the vets were of the 2nd year variety. 2009 cadets was supposed to be their diamond championship and they had a ton of vets that they were building up for a few years. This is a weird rant but there it is.

Before I write down my list, I read something in that same post about BD being in 5th because the show is more accessible or something? Well, idk if you've listened to source material for their show, but it strikes me as the same pretty out there modern jazz as they've been doing in their less popular shows, so sorry to disappoint. Also, it strikes me as weird to assert that in order to have liked cabaret voltaire one must be a shill for bd and like anything bd puts out anyway, especially right after spending a large paragraph predicting crown's first place based on the mental gymnastics of bending every case, anecdote, and circumstance somehow in Crown's favor. I'll always say that there's some weird standard that people hold BD up to that they don't reserve for any other corps when they complain about things like accessibility, melody, drill, difficulty, etc.

1/2 Cadets or BD

3 Phantom

4 Crown

5 SCV

6 Boston

7 Cavs

8 coats

9 madison

10 spirit

11 blue stars

12 xmen

Edited by TESB
  • Like 1

Okay, okay.... I'm going to now play too... I'm hoping for at least 11 corps above 90 at finals...

1. Crown ( Things finally come together enough in all captions to allow this to happen)

2. Santa Clara Vanguard ( Things coming together to allow them to be the best in the West after leading the pack early season)

3. Blue Devils ( Great show, but even they've gotta have a down year every once in a while)

4. The Cadets/ Cavaliers ( It's a toss up. The corps will battle it out all year. The Cavaliers recover nicely from last year's debace and the Cadets are great as always/ The Cadets come up short in the end)

6. Phantom Regiment /Bluecoats ( Another round of ties. I really like what Bluecoats are doing, but Phantom will also be on fire. Still there are too many great corps to deal with this year and that's why they'll end up in these placements)

8. Madison Scouts ( Highest 8th place score @ 93 and a great tribute to their 75th anniversary celebration year)

9. Boston ( Highest 9th place score, but they can't move up; there are too many awesome corps above them. They will still score above 90)

10. Blue Stars ( Staff adjustments are just the thing to help them get back into finals and be above 90)

11. Xmen ( Get the execution up and you'll be here, above 90...)

12. Spirit / Troopers ( The first tie to get 13 corps into finals ever. DVD and Company will help guide the Troopers back into finals ( It's happen with DVD and the Troopers before ( '85???). Spirit slips in at the last moment and shocks everyone to battle their way back to finals yet again)

14. Blue Knights ( Staff moves hurt them)

15. The Academy ( Who knows, they could do well with this show; I have no idea how good they could be)

16. Oregon Crusaders ( Welcome to World class, they're going to be knocking on finals door soon with the shows that they're putting out lately!)

17. Pacific Crest ( I want them to move up and I hope the shock me with how good they are...)

18. Colts ( It will take a while for staff additions to help placement)

19. Surf ( Pretty great for a corps that was recently a weekend corps and has a lighter schedule)

20. Cascades ( Guys gotta do something to move up; every else is.... Do it! thumbup.gif)

21. Pioneer (thumbup.gif I'm still a fan, but I wish there could be some kind of change that would allow them to not be in this position ((or worse)) every year. I'm hopeful!)

tongue.gif

I'm okay with ties, obviously...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 3

Okay, okay.... I'm going to now play too... I'm hoping for at least 11 corps above 90 at finals...

1. Crown ( Things finally come together enough in all captions to allow this to happen)

2. Santa Clara Vanguard ( Things coming together to allow them to be the best in the West after leading the pack early season)

3. Blue Devils ( Great show, but even they gotta have a down year every once in a while)

4. The Cadets/ Cavaliers ( It's a toss up. The "corps" will battle it out all year. The Cavaliers recover nicely and the Cadets are great, but come up short in the end)

6. Phantom Regiment /Bluecoats ( Another round of ties. Really like what Bluecoats are doing, but Phantom will also be on fire. Still too many great corps)

8. Madison Scouts ( Highest 8th place score @ 93 and a tribute to their anniversary celebrations)

9. Boston ( Highest 9th place score, but can move up; too many awesome corps)

10. Blue Stars ( Staff adjustments are just the thing to help them back into finals)

11. Xmen ( Get the execution up and you'll be here)

12. Spirit / Troopers ( The first tie to get into finals ever. DVD and Company will help Troopers back into finals. Spirit slip in at the last moment and shock everyone)

14. Blue Knights ( Staff moves hurt them)

15. The Academy ( Who knows, they could do well with this show; I have no idea how good they could be)

16. Oregon Crusaders ( Welcome to World class, they're going to be knocking on finals door soon with the shows that they're putting out lately!)

17. Pacific Crest ( I want them to move up and I hope the shock me with how good they are...)

18. Colts ( It will take a while for staff additions to help placement)

19. Surf ( Pretty great for a weekend corps)

20. Pioneer

tongue.gif

I like this one, a lot. :thumbup:

*FIRST POST*

1. Carolina Crown (I'm not one of them "they got robbed of two titles" people, but I think things will finally click for them this year) Wins GE

2. Blue Devils (will finish two tenths of a point behind Crown) Wins Music & Visual

3. Phantom Regiment (not going anywhere)

4. Cavaliers (bold, I know, but I believe in them)

5. Cadets (a lot of early season hype from there camp videos, but this happens every year, the first brass recordings after 7-8 months of nothing will always sound Glorious)

6. Santa Clara Vanguard (okay I'll admit, I feel like there's something I don't know about them, a lot of people are picking them to finish high this year)

7. Madison Scouts (as always, will be the fan favorite)

8. Bluecoats (In my opinion the most entertaining drumline)

9. Blue Knights (will be a good year for them, and barely edge out Boston for the 9 spot)

10. Boston Crusaders (will still have a good show, but can't blame the competition stepping it up)

11. Crossmen (little by little)

12. Blue Stars (tight battle all year long between Bones, Blue Stars, and Spirit)

• Like 1

19. Surf ( Pretty great for a weekend corps)

tongue.gif

As recently as 2011 Surf prided itself on giving participants the opportunity compete as a World Class drum corps while also being able to work, attend school, etc, the classic "weekend corps," but beginning last summer they undertook a more ambitious tour which required more practice and Surf participants were quick to point out that they were not a weekend only corps anymore and this was attested to by parents and volunteers. I don't believe they have the schedule of some of the WC finalists, but it is more than weekend only.

• Like 1

Everyone has high hopes for Crossmen. They have been up and down for years. The corps finally makes finals again at the expense of Blue Stars failures. I am surprised to see some predictions of Spirit out of finals when in recent years, Spirit has been the only corps to make it back into finals and stay there. This was their 3rd year in a row. The 12th place corps before them made a 1 year appearance and dropped again. Nothing against Crossmen, but I am not placing as much faith in their seat in finals. Especially when you have quality, more consistent corps like Blue Stars gunning for their place back into finals with a SOLID new design and instructional team.

• Like 2

As recently as 2011 Surf prided itself on giving participants the opportunity compete as a World Class drum corps while also being able to work, attend school, etc, the classic "weekend corps," but beginning last summer they undertook a more ambitious tour which required more practice and Surf participants were quick to point out that they were not a weekend only corps anymore and this was attested to by parents and volunteers. I don't believe they have the schedule of some of the WC finalists, but it is more than weekend only.

Until they move in during the spring like other world class corps instead of doing those camps every weekend of May and June, they will continue to be referred to as a Weekend Only corps. Just the facts of life.

• Like 3

Fixed it!