DCI's "Artistic Shift"

I encourage all drum corps fans to take a few minutes to read an interview I did with DCI's Artistic Director, Michael Cesario. The activity has just completed its third season with his position (his first year was merely an observational tool which led to judging changes, etc.). Feel free to compare/contrast his written words with what you have seen/heard on the field! Maybe you'll be quoted in our next issue. tongue.gif

Cheers.

http://www.mastersma.../2011/index.php

• Like 2

The article was informative. I do disagree with one aspect of the article. Yes, almost everyone can find something in each show to appreciate. However, If I can't thoroughly enjoy (be entertained by) several shows then I probably will attend less contests that year and not purchase dvds and cds. I have noticed that I now spend more money traveling than I do attending DCI contests. This was not the case 10 years ago. Perhaps this will change. :smile:

• Like 2

I think there has to be some soul-searching at DCI about the new sheets. Other than holding down early season scores (not a bad thing), it's not clear to me that that the new sheets changed anything at all. The same things that would have been rewarded in earlier years were rewarded this year. I can't believe that DCI went through all the work and all the marketing about the new adjudication system with a goal of "same old".

Is it a problem with judge education on the new sheets? Or is just a need to bring high caliber new judges into the pool who won't carry much baggage from prior years?

• Like 4

I think there has to be some soul-searching at DCI about the new sheets. Other than holding down early season scores (not a bad thing), it's not clear to me that that the new sheets changed anything at all. The same things that would have been rewarded in earlier years were rewarded this year. I can't believe that DCI went through all the work and all the marketing about the new adjudication system with a goal of "same old".

Is it a problem with judge education on the new sheets? Or is just a need to bring high caliber new judges into the pool who won't carry much baggage from prior years?

I think we need an influx of new, younger judges, to mix with the more veteran judges. Here's my reason why...

I believe that younger judges who have marched recently will have a greater understanding of some of the demand that quite frankly, the older judges don't have any experience trying themselves. I think we need this mix of ages in the judging community, where they can each learn from each other.

• Like 3

My problem is that I don't find the new sheets any easier for the fans to understand. I watched the gymnastics in Olympics, with a scoring system I was very unfamiliar with, but it didn't take long for me to understand after watching several performances.

• Like 1

" The result was to use me as a resource for “Event Enhancement and Expansion,” “Judge Training and Selection,” “Competitive Growth” and “Program Standards and Expectations.” Everyone responded as a community: the Corps, the instructors, and the judges. While all these items were important, the new Rules and Systems got our first attention."

Step 1 Achieved? I'm not so sure.

Granted, the rules and systems changes went into effect .. but the interpretation of those new rules and systems haven't given the fans the desired and hoped effect we were looking for.

Maybe with the Judge Training and Selection and Program Standards and Expectations ... we will get the result we want. However, that doesn't mean the general needs of the fan will be met with satisfaction. We don't truly know what the vision of Mr. Cesario is, or how that will effect change within the DCI judging system.

Things seem to be moving forward into a new age. Cavies use of synth and dub step, along with BD's voiceover's and Blue Knights scifi version of Firebird were effective, in some cases offensive and rejected by the general and old school fan, but ultimately pretty brilliant. If this is the direction MC wants to go, then these will not be the types of shows that Legacy fans are going to want to pay money to see.

In short, it's been pretty clear that the educated fan (with a bit of silver dust in the hair and deeper pockets) wanted to see a return to a more traditional sense of what drum corps truly is. More volume, power, pageantry, precision M&M ... more like what Madison has been trying to achieve these past few years. And, for those corps who did follow that pattern, we wanted to see them rewarded properly by the judging system. That did not happen in 2012. Because it didn't happen, I highly doubt it ever will.

• Like 4