DCI Finals Review 2012

I also completely agree with this post. Crown was AMAZING and should have won this year. Best display of brass playing I have ever heard on the field. After 35+ years of marching, teaching, judging, and teaching corps again, I don't get BD's show at all this year. At Atlanta, the crowd was throwing babies at the end of Crown's (and Phantom's) show, and all BD got was a short round of extremely polite golf applause. Most of the people around me didn't clap at all, they just sat there trying to figure out what had just happened. Just don't get it and I hope it's not where the activity is headed, IMHO.

• Like 1

Boston last beat Cavies in 1978 (my age out year). In the 'pre DCI era', 1970.

Nice review and wonderful formatting. Loved it! I agree on a lot, but not all of it, but that's ok.

Crown is not long overdue for a title. They need to earn it. I agree with your review in that Crown'a brass was terrific. It is too bad their percussion was not up to par and that they were unable to clean their drill. To win the title Crown is going to have to be strong in all captions like BD was this year. BTW, my favorite show this year was also Phantom.

• Like 4

Crown is not long overdue for a title. They need to earn it. I agree with your review in that Crown'a brass was terrific. It is too bad their percussion was not up to par and that they were unable to clean their drill. To win the title Crown is going to have to be strong in all captions like BD was this year. BTW, my favorite show this year was also Phantom.

Well, let's be realistic here. Crown cleaned the crap out of that drill. They just didn't quite get to BD clean. The fact that they got as close as they did is to be commended. There were only two times where they did crazy drill, and not for all that long, but when they did is was monstrous. They also had some issues with body that did get cleaned up in the last week too.

There's clean, and there's BD clean, and Crown, for the first time...almost got there. I suspect they will next year.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I love the "they were due" comment, and I don't believe it at all. They were not as clean as BD an any caption other than brass, and yes, they were running around like wild banshees, but needed to clean it more and as someone said, percussion didn't help their cause at all.

RM

Edited by Rocketman
  • Like 4

I completely disagree with the BD analysis (no surprise there). Your reference to their show being "garbage" was uncalled for and deflated what was a pretty good review in total. Opinions are what we do here, but that was a bit cowardly and hurtful for no reason. I suggest the next time you want to trash the work of the talented folks that design these shows and the kids that work all year to perform them for you....first pause and THINK.....then if what you're about to type is what you would have the courage to actually tell these kids to their face.....then go ahead. If you would not say it (and I suspect you wouldn't)....then press delete!

• Like 6