Silliness

Excellent post, Hrothgar....

As I have said many times, these kind of things you call "silly" cheapen the entire activity and keep many potential fans away.... not just legacy fans who like drum corps the way it used to be, but more and more I see newbies that love the performances but are completely put off by silly use of amplification/voice-overs/electronics. Us die-hards keep coming back because we love drum corps so much we can overlook this stuff... but think of all the potential fans out there that really have no interest to see a second show because of this tasteless trend.

• Like 3

Put another way, it's not that DCI show design is taking itself too seriously--it's that it's not taking itself seriously enough. This should be reflected in the sheets, but it's not.

I'd be interested to know where these WGI people come from, how long it's had such a stronghold over DCI, if things have always been so silly over there and why they are so silly in the first place.

• Like 3

I really had an issue with the synthesized bass last night, and I'm not normally one to notice or care as much about it. But the fact that I sat in 540 and still felt it in my chest was awful. I feel bad for anyone in the first 10 rows of 140, because I can't imagine how something like, say, the Cavaliers ending was from just yards away cranked up to an 11.

I sat in 140 row 19 in Prelims and it was bad enough that just about every contra line was indiscernable, but the fact it reached up to the 540 level at an uncomfortable level is just stupid.

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 2

Put another way, it's not that DCI show design is taking itself too seriously--it's that it's not taking itself seriously enough. This should be reflected in the sheets, but it's not.

I'd be interested to know where these WGI people come from, how long it's had such a stronghold over DCI, if things have always been so silly over there and why they are so silly in the first place.

Example:

Scott Chandler at BD has been doing both since mid to early 80s. Winning DCI guard in 85 at Spirit of Atlanta. We need to accept the people because they bring the experience.

WGI has been part of DCI since the start of WGI.

• Like 2

1977... the activities are like a marriage. I self edited before making a general statement that could have twisted some panties.

the activities are "good" for each other. the activities are "bad" for each other. A perfect marriage.

Why?

DCI judging rewards more.

More what? Everything.

More of it. It's why every show has at least one use of electronics and at least one use of "dance choreography" in the corps proper. Personally I would hardly call it choreography.

It doesn't have to be good, it has to be MORE.

Portions of movie and television dialogue being played throughout the Cadets show while the members are performing.

Fun fact time: "It's a Wonderful Life" didn't get raving reviews from everyone when it first came out. In fact, when the movie first came out the FBI sent out a memo pointing out how similar themes of the movie were to Communism (since, you know, the rich were the bad people). The only reason it's so ####### popular is because in the late 1970's someone made a clerical error and essentially forgot to renew the copyrights for the film. Hence, TV stations in 1980 aired the crap out of it during the holiday season by shoving it down their viewer's throats.

Every time someone uses "It's a Wonderful Life" as an example as a good Christmas movie I can't help but laugh. World's dumbest and most effective way to become successful: shove crap down your audience's throat until they like it. Way to go Cadets!

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 2

I really had an issue with the synthesized bass last night, and I'm not normally one to notice or care as much about it. But the fact that I sat in 540 and still felt it in my chest was awful. I feel bad for anyone in the first 10 rows of 140, because I can't imagine how something like, say, the Cavaliers ending was from just yards away cranked up to an 11.

I sat in 140 row 19 in Prelims and it was bad enough that just about every contra line was indiscernable, but the fact it reached up to the 540 level at an uncomfortable level is just stupid.

I was in the first 10 rows of 140. After my horrible Thursday evening experience, I opted to make a concession stand run during the Cavalier's semi-final and final shows to avoid the painfully excessive volume of the electronics. The first time I missed a corps perform at any of the many finals I've attended.