An Open Letter to JulesBry and to those

I rarely make any posts in this forum, because of all the arguments here. I could make a new post saying that breathing is a vital aspect to living, and probably half the people would argue, just for the sake of arguing. What I do know though, is that you're trying to convince people to stay, because eventually greatness will come back. Well they passed that torch on a long time ago. Maybe it'll come back, and you might be right. But like Julian I don't have the time to sit around waiting and hoping. There was one real champion last night, and the crowd picked them; it's sad when the listed 1st place gets a "golf clap" as someone intelligently put it. DCI has lost its roots to its fans, and not a whole lot of people are willing to stand in and say "it'll eventually get better, so stick around".

What gets me is the fact that people are willing to jump down someones throat for having an opinion. What does it hurt you, when people leave for the better? Based on the reactions that Julian got, I can tell that it's no longer about us, so I'm going follow suit and will send my resignation letter as a member and a fan into DCI also. I'll stick around DCA and enjoy that, the sportsmanship/respect that goes on there is out of DCI's league.

• Like 6

You sold your stocks in 2008, didn't you?

:w00t:

DCI is not a stock. If you walk away, you lose nothing other than whatever entertainment you'd have gotten from the shows you miss. DCI, on the other hand, loses your $$. By the same token, nothing stops you from coming back if something should change.

I'm not really ready to walk away, but I used to be a guy who attended at least a regional and championships every year, paying for the best seats and usually bringing a bunch of people with me. The last two years, I'm down to Fan Network/theaters only. The only show this year that seriously tempted me to go to Finals was Crown - I'd have loved to have heard that brass line live. Otherwise, there was plenty of good material in shows but nothing that compelled me to spend lots of money to see it.

I still say that your initial post is pretty ominous. You yourself have written this summer about the ongoing division of the member corps into two camps. Did that just magically get resolved while we weren't looking? There's no way for DCI to implement big changes without either 1) healing the divide or 2) some corps picking up their toys and going home. DCI can make tons of hoopla about change (just like they did for the new sheets), but the end result will be status quo (just like for the new sheets).

• Like 2

I rarely make any posts in this forum, because of all the arguments here. I could make a new post saying that breathing is a vital aspect to living, and probably half the people would argue, just for the sake of arguing. What I do know though, is that you're trying to convince people to stay, because eventually greatness will come back. Well they passed that torch on a long time ago. Maybe it'll come back, and you might be right. But like Julian I don't have the time to sit around waiting and hoping. There was one real champion last night, and the crowd picked them; it's sad when the listed 1st place gets a "golf clap" as someone intelligently put it. DCI has lost its roots to its fans, and not a whole lot of people are willing to stand in and say "it'll eventually get better, so stick around".

What gets me is the fact that people are willing to jump down someones throat for having an opinion. What does it hurt you, when people leave for the better? Based on the reactions that Julian got, I can tell that it's no longer about us, so I'm going follow suit and will send my resignation letter as a member and a fan into DCI also. I'll stick around DCA and enjoy that, the sportsmanship/respect that goes on there is out of DCI's league.

It sounds as if you've already made up your mind. It's OK, you're allowed.

This thread is not about who was most popular, or even who was champion last night. (BTW, I was in sec 240 and there was much more than a golf-clap when BD was done.)

I'm not suggesting that DCI is about to revert to anything. What's in the past is not coming back in whole cloth. I'm not talking about judging sheets or hula hoops.

I'm talking about the structure that allows those things to be presented.

Does it hurt me when people leave the activity? You betcha. It affects me like it does everyone else.

This thread is not about who was most popular, or even who was champion last night. (BTW, I was in sec 240 and there was much more than a golf-clap when BD was done.)

I'm not suggesting that DCI is about to revert to anything. What's in the past is not coming back in whole cloth. I'm not talking about judging sheets or hula hoops.

Does it hurt me when people leave the activity? You betcha. It affects me like it does everyone else.

You're right, I did make up my mind, maybe even before Julian did; although she convinced me to write the letter, which is a lot longer than hers. I completely understand it hurting seeing people leave, with good reason. It's something that I've, well all of us, have come to love, I've made life decisions, based on what the Blue Stars taught me, I still live by all the things that I've learned. But sometimes, it's time to let go and move on. I was contemplating not posting my letter to DCI, due to the fact all the positive/negative feedback towards Julian, but it might get my point across, and why I think it's best. I'll be up here in a couple minutes.

DCI is not a stock. If you walk away, you lose nothing other than whatever entertainment you'd have gotten from the shows you miss. DCI, on the other hand, loses your $. By the same token, nothing stops you from coming back if something should change.

I'm not really ready to walk away, but I used to be a guy who attended at least a regional and championships every year, paying for the best seats and usually bringing a bunch of people with me. The last two years, I'm down to Fan Network/theaters only. The only show this year that seriously tempted me to go to Finals was Crown - I'd have loved to have heard that brass line live. Otherwise, there was plenty of good material in shows but nothing that compelled me to spend lots of money to see it.

I still say that your initial post is pretty ominous. You yourself have written this summer about the ongoing division of the member corps into two camps. Did that just magically get resolved while we weren't looking? There's no way for DCI to implement big changes without either 1) healing the divide or 2) some corps picking up their toys and going home. DCI can make tons of hoopla about change (just like they did for the new sheets), but the end result will be status quo (just like for the new sheets).

Yes, I did write about this earlier in the year. And while I'm not sure it will ever be resolved completely due to human nature, I do believe that the activity is closer to number 1 above than it's been for the last 4 or 5 years. And farther away from number 2.

That's exactly my point.

BTW, you missed lots of good, and a few really great, shows in Indy including that Crown horn line.

No - not it at all really.

It has much more to do with the general direction design seems to be taking.

(and you sound just like Jack Nicholson from the backseat of his own car in "as good as it gets")

OK. Beyond BD, what other corps had a show design that concerned you? If you are complaining about a "general direction," surely you can come up with another example beyond BD.

• Like 2

You're right, I did make up my mind, maybe even before Julian did; although she convinced me to write the letter, which is a lot longer than hers. I completely understand it hurting seeing people leave, with good reason. It's something that I've, well all of us, have come to love, I've made life decisions, based on what the Blue Stars taught me, I still live by all the things that I've learned. But sometimes, it's time to let go and move on. I was contemplating not posting my letter to DCI, due to the fact all the positive/negative feedback towards Julian, but it might get my point across, and why I think it's best. I'll be up here in a couple minutes.

A couple of questions:

Did you actually send your letter to DCI, or did you just post it here?

Have you actually spoken to anyone at DCI, or any corps directors?

If you find that actual, structural change occurs that improves DCI, will you increase your support of the activity?

While your attention is over there, keep one eye over here.

I posted up my letter to them; do me a favor and put all things aside, and read it. It's what I feel about the organization as a whole, and why I'm leaving. Just read it unbias, and let me know what you think. What ever conclusion you come to regarding my choice, I'll respect it, all I ask is that you give it a chance before you judge it, based on people leaving.