An Open Letter to JulesBry and to those

More ideas on what this could be:

* A subset of corps will soon be announcing a no-synths coalition.

My new favourite corps, where do I buy their T-shirts?

* A billion-dollar federal arts grant will fund the startup and ten years of operation for two new corps in every state in addition to subsidizing existing corps.

I wish. I wish we had it in Canada even more!

A massive deal between DCI and Viacom, who has agreed to a 10 year plan of broadcasting all competitions live in HD on the MTV family of networks, adding audience voting, celebrity judges, a spring reality show featuring aspiring members trying out for their favorite corps, a summer reality show following a different corps each summer, and a fall/winter reality show covering the show design process, advertising will be required on all corps uniforms, and The Cadets have committed to do 10-year 10-show Spongebob Squarepants epic cycle.

Kinda lost me on the Spongebob thing... :tongue:

Edited by Grandpa

For the record, I hold no allegiance to any corps out there since the corps I marched with either folded or are in DCA.

OK... You guarantee? Well, can I have my money back? To put it as bluntly as you did, yeah... I would have been "#####ing" about their show no matter what placement they took. I didn't like it. It's as simple as that. (and before the "you're putting down the kids" troupe chime in, I don't deny their talent and I NEVER have). As i said in another thread, I sat in a over-flowing theater that was filled with HS kids Thursday night and I got more agitated the more I listened. It felt like the kind of music you'd play to a prisoner to antagonize them. But that's MY opinion. Then again, I sat in a dead silent packed theater after BD completed their show. DEAD silent! So maybe it isn't just me. I also didn't care for BK's show.

Would I have been happy if Crown won? Yes. I loved their show. I also would have been happy to see Phantom, Cadets or SCV win as well. Hell... I would have had no problem if Surf won!

So put away your wide paint brush and sit back and relax.

You know, and I probably should have said this earlier and/or in my thread, but if I close my eyes, I kinda enjoy listening to BD's interpretation of the Satie Gymnopedie. As soon as I open my eyes, it falls apart, and the rest of the show is completely annoying in my opinion, but that moment is pretty nice.

Also I greened JulesBry not because I am leaving. (far from it!) but because she said her point very nicely and she had been very involved in DCI from a fans perspective.

The activity changes do much every year you can't help but peak inside to see if your hopes and dreams have come true every year.

I think the easiest and best thing DCI could do to settle much of the competitive and design issues is to release judge tapes. Atleast speculation will end and ppl leaving can truly understand why corps are getting scored the way they are. It would perpetuate more understanding about this activity for SURE!

For the record, "she" is a "he". :-)

Secret revealed! Cesario declares in this recent interview:

:shutup:

Sorry, garfield, I don't think adding lighting will bring back JulesBry...

Probably not, but it's also not what sent me away. I thought Boston's use of lighting under the veil in the Les Mis show last year was absolutely breathtaking. One of my favorite moments of the year. But you know what, that moment also featured a brilliant soloist with gorgeous accompaniment. Had it been a synth (either on the melody or accompaniment), I don't think I would have even noticed the lighting effect.

OK. Beyond BD, what other corps had a show design that concerned you? If you are complaining about a "general direction," surely you can come up with another example beyond BD.

Cavies 2011--the entire intro was pre-recorded? Really? That's drum corps?

Blue Knights 2011--the entire intro was pre-recorded? Really? That's drum corps?

Crown 2011--a show based around featuring a synthesizer

Glassmen 2012--a show based around featuring a synthesizer

Cavies 2012--a show with significant synth features that could have been played by horn lines (that bass line was even more atrocious because the tubas weren't playing anything at the time)

Cadets 2012--(I think they eventually took it out, but) wrecking a beautiful solo with a horrible synth patch echo

Just to name a few, while leaving out all BD references.

• Like 3

Im sorry, but people that post these long goodbye letters along with their tales of woe are just looking for attention.

I'm glad you know more about my thoughts and motivation than I do. Thanks for telling me what I meant to say, because I really had no idea what I meant when I wrote my letter. :worthy:

For future reference, you might try taking what people write at face value. Unless, of course, they give you good and clear reasons not to (like showing up around here next summer).

• Like 1

Garfield - The frustrating part of your inside knowledge is that you can't or won't share what you know. Now, if you really know something, I could understand and respect your need to keep it a secret. But throwing out this hope in an attempt to keep anyone thinking of leaving their support of the activity, only frustrates those same people, and potentially sets people on either side of that decision up for possible disappointment. Sometimes things like this that can't be fully disclosed are better off not said at all until they are ready for public consumption in their entirety.

And I am one who is hoping for great things....as I have been really trying to give some of the changes made a chance to grow on me, but they are not. Thanks.

• Like 2

I'm glad you know more about my thoughts and motivation than I do. Thanks for telling me what I meant to say, because I really had no idea what I meant when I wrote my letter. :worthy:

For future reference, you might try taking what people write at face value. Unless, of course, they give you good and clear reasons not to (like showing up around here next summer).

...and yet, you are still here.

Geoffrey

• Like 1

I'll believe it when I see it. And perhaps I'll see it if and when I remember to check in in a year or two. If things have changed for the better, I can always catch up on the Fan Network. If not, I'll have saved a ton of money.

I've always said that I hope things get turned around, and even if they don't that drum corps sticks around for the kids who enjoy and need it. I just don't know what else to do to make my point.

well I may be with ya here...what makes anyone think that even though new people who MAY be at the helm and MAY have shared a common thing in the past that this means moving backward..it doesnt...some of the same here fought a while ago how THEY knew or saw a seminar or listened to a podcast or met MICHAEL CESERIO and I remember saying ..yeak OK I know EXACTLY how Michael feels about moving forward in the activity and I was shut down by some who felt they knew more...i was like fine. now there's a thread about Artistic director and who was lied to etc etc....oh well

its like the sheets...many felt 2012 was going to change up everything?...why would it...a good corps is a good corps and know and have the talent to work any sheet presented

Edited by GUARDLING

The greatest impact you can make is with your dollar - either spending it or keeping it in your wallet.

As a staunch capitalist I absolutely believe in this statement, and I practice it personally even as I witness others acting in their own, best interest. You can be sure we are in agreement on the general connotation of your post. But I believe that, in THIS case - to stay a part of DCI or to leave and "save money" - practicing that belief is misplaced and destructive.

Capitalism needs competition to thrive and to make one's protest meaningful by demonstrating what product is actually desired by the buying fans. Does walking away attain that goal? By walking away, the only message is "Well, I don't like THAT!". If you don't like Crest toothpaste, does one stop brushing one's teeth?

The BEST impact one can make in this situation is to find a corps that reflects what that fan expects, then supporting that corps, helping it grow in size, influence, and competitiveness to the point that it can win. One might also make the time to talk with people in a position of power - a BOD member, for example - in order to find one who's viewpoint matches yours, then supporting that person in their attempt to steer the activity in the direction both, ostensibly, want it to go.

In short, ones greatest impact is NOT attained by simply ceasing to support the activity (or brushing one's teeth). It is reached by becoming more involved, not less, in guiding the direction of the activity, and spending one's dollars as well along the way. Even if it means spending MORE money to get what one wants because that money benefits many more corps than just the one du-jour to hate.

Want to make a REAL STATEMENT that has REAL IMPACT? Get involved.

• Like 2