Questions about Artistic director

My only question for DCI is "who decided on the title of 'artistic director', when the position in question is nothing like an artistic director in the real world?"

Didn't 'creative consultant' (which is what you call someone who offers opinions but has no actual programming responsibilty) have a sexy enough ring to it? :cool:

That's a really good point that I never thought about before - why is his title DCI's Artistic Director when he has no influence whatsoever over the artistic direction of each corps, which the group taken as a whole = DCI?? This is no way a slam against Michael J. Cesario, as I think he is great at what he does, and his appointment was a step in the right direction for DCI, bit if he has no authority to influence each corps on their artistic direction, what is the point?

My only question for DCI is "who decided on the title of 'artistic director', when the position in question is nothing like an artistic director in the real world?"

Didn't 'creative consultant' (which is what you call someone who offers opinions but has no actual programming responsibilty) have a sexy enough ring to it? :cool:

Neither title works... As an art director & creative director myself for the past 20 years, neither title is fitting.

Cesario has made his living off of this activity and is the wrong person for the job. Simply put - DCI put in a trustworthy recognizable name into a position to make it look like they are making change.

IF THEY WANT TO SHAKE IT UP - Hire someone from completely outside the activity - Someone that make you say "WHO IS THIS GUY?" "Why IS HE CHANGING IT UP?" . Someone who understands "performance, artistry, story telling, entertainment, music, tradition, so on..." MAYBE a Broadway person or a circus person but not just another DCI/WGI/BOA crony.

Then change might happen - but until then - expect the same.

And do not get me wrong - Cesario is a great guy with great creative but he is not someone who CAN make major change.

Edited by Kevin Powell

I still don't understand why so many people fail to grasp the concept that DCI success = cleanest show w/most effective design.

I think they grasp it just fine.

They just think that the ability to engage that audience should be a key component of "effective design".

The backlash happening now is more than "My corp didn't win so I'm going to pout". People are frustrated that the Blue Devils have been dominating the activity over the last 6 years with relatively (to prior world champions) unentertaining shows. I think Crown's loss this year was the straw that broke the camels back given how extremely entertaining their show was compared to the Blue Devils' show (at least judging by the crowd I was part of Saturday night). I would be thrilled if any of the last four Blue Devil champions were as entertaining as 2003's Phenomenon of Cool.

If corps are tired of losing to the Blue Devils then they need to step up and beat the Blue Devils. No one is going to hand them the trophy, they have to take it. And until someone does then Bd will keep winning.

I think they grasp it just fine.

They just think that the ability to engage that audience should be a key component of "effective design".

the audience around me was engaged just fine in allentown during BD's performance. and they got a good audience response at the end of the show. Also, I was in allentown in 2010 and I recall BD getting a good response from the audience then to, because the show was so f-ing cool and performed so f-ing well just like this year.

Edited by bluecoats88

So did everyone think that the new sheets were going to turn the competition into an "Applaus-o-meter"?

I read the sheet and heard the explanation of the sheet and nowhere in there did I get that impression.

I don't think people are saying this; some are, but for the most part the argument goes deeper than that. What I (and I think others are too) am confused about is that Cesario ave a lot of lip service to DCI rewarding shows that entertained the audience. Although the new sheets never say that word, I think the expectation was for people (read: BD) to come out with a more accessible show.

They didn't. What they DID do was the same kind of thing they have done the last 3-4 years, only this year they explained it much better.

By-the-by- this was my favorite BD show since 2007. not my favorite show of the season, but my favorite of theirs, certainly. I have no problem with it winning, other than from where I was sitting on Saturday, I think CC was better. But that's a different argument.

When looking at DCI top to bottom, I certainly saw a great deal of "Audience connection" the last two years.

And even though the "My team didnt win so the system sucks" crowd wants to deprive me of the distinction, I AM A FAN.

I loved the Blue Devils show and I thought it deserved to win this time out.

For some reason, your opinion never counts on DCP unless your rooting for the team who didnt win.

I agree you are a fan- that's why you're here on DCP. I htink you are belittling the argument against BD winning, and against the system, because you like the show that won and agree that it should have- that's fine. We can disagree.

The problem is some people thought shows were going to be rewarded for being accessible and fun for a lot of people in a 'make-you-clap' kind of way (as in, shows that are designed to get applause will be rewarded) and that is not what ended up happening. People are confused about what they were told, and looking for explanation.

EDIT: grammar

Edited by mn trumpter guy

People are confused on the word "DESIGN".

All "DESIGN" creates a functional product. "ART" on the other hand is he expression or application of human creative skill. While much of "DESIGN" is artfully done - there is a fine line of where it may loose its "FUNCTION - the design purpose" and become "ART".

For "Effective Design" you must first define the "FUNCTION or PURPOSE". This has not been clearly defined and will be an issue until it is clearly defined. If DCI wants people to "DESIGN" "ART" - They need to be clear. If they want people to "DESIGN" entertainment - They need to make that purpose clear. If they want both, which they do - They need to define the weight of each they would like to see. This is where the scoring system might be flawed. Simple misinterpretation of the purpose.

"CLEAN" is easy to define. Not easy to pull off but easy to define.

Edited by Kevin Powell

Neither title works... As an art director & creative director myself for the past 20 years, neither title is fitting.

That's why I said "creative consultant". It's the most accurate description for what Cesario's role is within the scheme of things.

I am a professional artistic director, and have absolute final say over the programming my company produces (so if it sucks, I have to take the responsibility).

But I also do some consulting for other organizations, and if I'm consulting, the understanding is that they'll pay me to give them an opinion and some advice, but the final responsibility for the choices they make rests with their own staff, which is pretty much how it sounds things are set up with DCI and Cesario.

Edited by mobrien

That's why I said "creative consultant". It's the most accurate description for what Cesario's role is within the scheme of things.

I am a professional artistic director, and have absolute final say over the programming my company produces (so if it sucks, I have to take the responsibility).

But I also do some consulting for other organizations, and if I'm consulting, the understanding is that they'll pay me to give them an opinion and some advice, but the final responsibility for the choices they make rests with their own staff, which is pretty much how it sounds things are set up with DCI and Cesario.

Agreed. I guess I am skewed on the word "Consultant" as well. The word "Consultancy" is a new buzz word that has overtaken the word "Agency". They do the same thing...

"Consultancies" are now agencies of record. Confusing as ####.