Madison Scouts 2013

http://www.madisonscouts.org/blog/?p=873

The Madison Scouts and Creative Director James Mason are please to announce their 2013 production titled “Corps of Brothers – 75 Years of Survival”. The show will feature Modest Mussorgsky’s “Night on Bald Mountain” and Rodgers and Hammerstein’s “You’ll Never Walk Alone”.

The corps will be celebrating it’s 75th Anniversary throughout the 2013 season. Auditions for the 2013 Madison Scouts will begin in November, dates and locations to be announced soon.

Edited by ML23
  • Like 9

I'm sure it will be a crowd pleaser!

• Like 1

I love this concept. Night on Bald Mountain is going to be completely epic, especially once it gets a Madison spin put on it. Fantastic choice, especially after doing the Mussorgsky so well this past year. And with "You'll Never Walk Alone", no explanation is needed. Go ahead and mark it down as one of the top moments of 2013, it's going to be killer. This is going to be another classic Scouts show.

Night on Bald Mountain, also known as "Night on the Bare Mountain" is definitely an unexpected choice. Madison has never played it before, but the choice of this particular work might be due to its odd history:

From Wikipedia:

"Although Mussorgsky was proud of this youthful effort, his most ambitious and only significant orchestral work, his mentor Miliy Balakirev refused to perform it. To salvage what he considered worthy material, Mussorgsky attempted to insert his Bare Mountain music, recast for vocal soloists, chorus, and orchestra, in two subsequent projects—the collaborative opera-ballet Mlada (1872) and the opera Sorochintsï Fair (1880).

However, the work achieved fame and is still best known in Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov's edition, a 'fantasy for orchestra' titled A Night on the Bare Mountain (1886), composed 5 years after Mussorgsky's death.

A Night on the Bare Mountain was never performed in any form during Mussorgsky's lifetime.[3] The Rimsky-Korsakov edition premiered in 1886 in Saint Petersburg, and has become a concert favorite. The original tone poem by Mussorgsky was not published until 1968, and although it is seldom heard, it is gradually gaining exposure and popularity.

Many listeners became acquainted with Night on Bald Mountain through the Disney animated film Fantasia (1940), which used an arrangement of Rimsky-Korsakov's edition made by Leopold Stokowski."

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

I'm excited about this show...sounds amazing. I do have one request from the Scouts, though, if anyone happens to read this.......Let's have more marching with amazing drill to this beautiful music and less interpretive dance.

• Like 3

Wow! I think this is the earliest a Corps has announced its show for the following season.

I'm very intrigued and excited about this show. Part of the title seems odd to me though "75 years

of survival". I wonder if that will play into the theme somehow.

• Like 2

As long as it's not the disco version. :cool:

• Like 5