Madison Scouts 2013

Did I hear that Chad Dugan has jumped back on the wagon for the 2013 season?

He is the Visual Coordinator for the design team.

Hey everybody,

As you may know, there is a feature-length documentary about the Madison Scouts that is currently in post-production called "Scouts Honor: Inside A Marching Brotherhood." It is being directed by two Scouts alumni, Mac Smith ('95) and Tom Tollefsen ('95-'97), who began the process of filming the movie over two years ago. The goal is to have the film completed for a premiere in Madison for the 75th anniversary celebration for the Scouts this Fall. They are in the midst of a fundraising campaign which is giving donors the opportunity to personally shape the final product, while raising the resources needed to complete the rough cut of the film. The campaign is running from January 30th through February 17th and all pertinent information can be found by clicking here: The March To The Rough Cut Fundraiser. From more information on this unique project, including a number of videos, please visit http://www.scoutshonormovie.com/. Please help spread the word about this independent film on the Madison Scouts with all of your friends and fellow drum crops fans. Thanks!

Edited by Gigantic Cranium
  • Like 1

You know if "Scouts Honor: Inside A Marching Brotherhood," was available for purchase as a DVD at the souvie booth I'd buy a copy. Can we look forward for this documentary being made a DVD and on sale anytime soon with the Scouts souvie crew?

You know if "Scouts Honor: Inside A Marching Brotherhood," was available for purchase as a DVD at the souvie booth I'd buy a copy. Can we look forward for this documentary being made a DVD and on sale anytime soon with the Scouts souvie crew?

"Scouts Honor" is an independent production that is not being sponsored by the Scouts, so it is unlikely that the DVD/Blu-Ray will be available at the Scouts' souvie booth. That being said, the Scouts organization has been overwhelmingly accompanying and generous with the filming over the last two years. This has included granting the almuni filmmakers virtually all-access status when it comes to the members and staff during this period, both on the practice/competitive field and off. There will be a DVD/Blu-Ray made of "Scouts Honor." The film is currently in post-production and one of the most popular ways to support the project is to pre-order the DVD/Blu-Ray via the film's website at: http://www.scoutshonormovie.com/contribute/. Basically how it works is that for donations of a certain amount, you are rewarded with prizes, one of which is a copy of the finished film on DVD/Blu-Ray. It is essentially the same as pre-ordering the movie. Also, as mentioned above, "Scouts Honor" is in the midst of a fundraiser that ends on February 17th. During this time, your donations earn you votes that directly effect the final product. More information on this fundraiser can be found here: http://www.scoutshonormovie.com/contribute/march-to-the-rough-cut/. Thanks!

James Mason just posted on Facebook this remarkable bit about Madison Scouts' 2013 show.

To the brotherhood,

On this special day I’d like to share some things with you about our 75th anniversary show. The production is entitled “CORPS OF BROTHERS – 75 years of survival”. When I took the artistic director job for the Madison Scouts my eyes were set on doing this show for multiple reasons:

• First of all, what a privilege and awesome responsibility it is to be in charge of the creative for the 75th!

• 75 years of survival, with all the challenges of a non-profit, is an amazing tribute to all that have been a part of this organization

• Doing a show that would be an example of ultimate survival is something that excited me– I had read a book back in 2009 called “Lone Survivor” by Marcus Luttrell. The book inspired us and is going to serve as a non literal guide line for our creative team

• After meeting and spending time with some special-op personnel I knew I wanted to honor these young men and my own son. It was time to recognize the selfless gift that all people who have served our country (including the ones within our brotherhood) bestow on us - the lovers of freedom.

It was important to do a show that would allow recognition of all Scout Brothers by having a special moment carved out in it. In Madison, at our home show, there will be a special 30-minute rehearsal with all alumni in attendance invited to help us create this special surprise. I will keep you posted as to the time and place when the event draws closer. For those not in Madison that day, there will be a special video posted of that event the next day after the show!

Saying all this, I want to wish each of you good health and safe travels in the journey of life as we truly “never walk alone”.

My Best, James Mason

• Like 2

Having known of the existance of 'the original' Night on Bare Mountain for some years, I actually bought it as a Christmas present to myself. It's quite different from the Rimsky-Korsakov arrangement. One MIGHT say it's rather 'unsanitized' (i.e. read 'brutal'). Check it out.

I'd LOVE to hear an orchestra play both back to back and find out what the audience reaction was via a poll.

• 2 weeks later...

So its around that time, do we have any camp updates for the month or no.

Hello everyone,

Just a quick reminder that the makers of "Scouts Honor: Inside A Marching Brotherhood" are down to the final day of “The March To The Rough Cut” fundraiser. This film will be a full-length documentary on the Madison Scouts. We have added a new twist to the campaign, so now every contribution of $10.00 that you and your friends contribute between now and 11:59 p.m. (PST) tonight will earn you a vote for your favorite section of the corps (horn line, drum line, color guard, and front line ensemble). At the end of the campaign, each section with 150 or more votes will get its own bonus feature on the completed DVD/BluRay, or if none of the sections reach that number then the one with the most votes will be the winner. So far, none of the sections have reached the 150 vote mark, so make sure your section gets your vote today by visiting "The March To The Rough Cut" site.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed so far. The response has been great! We would just ask that everyone please pick up the phone, send some emails, and use your social media today to help to spread the word about this final day of “The March To The Rough Cut.” Get your favorite section represented! Remember that all of the funds will be going directly to the costs associated with the post-production of “Scouts Honor,” including the creation of the rough cut of the film. For more information on this project, please visit www.scoutshonormovie.com. Thanks!