Madison Scouts 2013

I got an email from the corps over the weekend - for folks who have purchased VIP tickets from the Scouts. Had video and some tasty excerpts from the 2013 show music. Very nice arrangements indeed! Starting to get excited for the upcoming Drum Corps season!

I understand the desire to "take care of" your biggest supporters and all that...but why not do that sort of thing for everyone?

• Like 2

I understand the desire to "take care of" your biggest supporters and all that...but why not do that sort of thing for everyone?

I'm sure that content will become available for everyone eventually. I thought it was a nice gesture.

• Like 4

Reward your supporters and entice others to do the same. Smart marketing in my opinion.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Reward your supporters and entice others to do the same. Smart marketing in my opinion.

Actually, I disagree...for one reason: DCI has kinda catered to its own base for so long now that the numbers have dwindled, yet school band programs have grown. There are more marching members available today and less corps.

I'd like to see corps step outside of catering to legacy fans and get more market saturation to show people the entire process of what drum corps is. It's incredibly easy now to share video and music with the masses on social media, so why not exploit that? It's becoming more and more obvious that as these kids grow up, jobs/lives/family/school takes up much more of their time and money. It's only the most die hard who grow up to be legacy fans. If that number is 1 out of every 10-15 kids, then the numbers start to recede pretty quickly. Now you're relying on friends/family of current marchers to fill your seats. Why cater to only your most passionate base rather than exploit the chance to reach a new and more diverse audience?

Another discussion for another time, perhaps. But I'd like to see the Scouts get out in front in this regard.

Night on Bald Mountain, also known as "Night on the Bare Mountain" is definitely an unexpected choice. Madison has never played it before, but the choice of this particular work might be due to its odd history:

From Wikipedia:

"Although Mussorgsky was proud of this youthful effort, his most ambitious and only significant orchestral work, his mentor Miliy Balakirev refused to perform it. To salvage what he considered worthy material, Mussorgsky attempted to insert his Bare Mountain music, recast for vocal soloists, chorus, and orchestra, in two subsequent projects—the collaborative opera-ballet Mlada (1872) and the opera Sorochintsï Fair (1880).

However, the work achieved fame and is still best known in Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov's edition, a 'fantasy for orchestra' titled A Night on the Bare Mountain (1886), composed 5 years after Mussorgsky's death.

A Night on the Bare Mountain was never performed in any form during Mussorgsky's lifetime.[3] The Rimsky-Korsakov edition premiered in 1886 in Saint Petersburg, and has become a concert favorite. The original tone poem by Mussorgsky was not published until 1968, and although it is seldom heard, it is gradually gaining exposure and popularity.

Many listeners became acquainted with Night on Bald Mountain through the Disney animated film Fantasia (1940), which used an arrangement of Rimsky-Korsakov's edition made by Leopold Stokowski."

I have heard the email, pretty sweet. It for sure is Night on Bald Mountain, can't wait to hear how Never Walk Alone is mixed in. Should be special. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Alright boys! It is time to put Madison back where they belong...the top 5! I very eagerly await this year's show and know it will pull out all the stops, so to speak!

Word is that Madison is shaping up well this season. Gonna shake things up this summer!

• Like 2