Madison Scouts 2013

For those here that can be honest with themselves (vs. the Madison Homerville types!), many, MANY!, have reported that once you peel away the early season hype and all the emotion of Madison's 75th anniversary 2013 show, you once again have a product that drastically lacks the depth, the complexity, and difficulty of a top notch World Class corps. This is a serious problem within the Madison camp...And they've (the leadership) by their own admission have made the same critical error several years in a row now! It's a travesty that they've wasted and expended so much capital on what could have been. Certain leadership expressed extreme regret already 2 years ago that they hadn't given the "Men" a more challenging product! What you hear from the thoughtful fan by and large this year is that the beginning and ending of the show is memorable, and the rest of the show is...meh! 75th Anniversary, and they didn't know how to release the hounds!...Why not??...Terribly sad and disappointing! Entertainment yes! But, if we need a reminder to wake us up to the fact of the types of shows that the Madison fan and drum corps enthusiast so miss from Mad Town, take some time to put in a relic DVD and maybe watch Madison 1995, "A Drum Corps Fan Dream", or "Pirates of Lake Mendota", or "Jesus Christ Superstar", or and on, and on... One does not have to look too far to be reminded of what could be...Of what should be.

Calling all Madison apologists...its honesty hour.

From an outsider's point of view, the members are achieving more and more each year. I like their brass approach. Their drums are getting better; guard too.

Who knows what the rest of the season brings? That being said, I'm sure they'll crank it up more next year. Don't count them out yet!

From an outsider's point of view, the members are achieving more and more each year. I like their brass approach. Their drums are getting better; guard too.

Who knows what the rest of the season brings? That being said, I'm sure they'll crank it up more next year. Don't count them out yet!

That’s the issue...They've been talking the "crank it up" game for the past few years, and they end up leaving cash on the table over and over again! Yes, improvements in areas are very nice, but great leadership knows how to pull greatness out of individuals such that they had no idea they had it within. Not being afraid to swing for the fences and then daily showing everyone how it’s done is an admirable exercise.

• Like 1

As much as it would be cool to see Madison in the Top 5 and gunning for a medal, at least they're consistently trying to build back up. They had a rough patch for a few years, so they're trying to get back where they were. Instead of after '02, when they jumped up quickly to 6th in '05, just to fall back out of Finals two years later. I would rather see Madison take the slow and steady approach instead of going for broke to medal, and dropping back again. They will need to really start adding depth and difficulty if they want to keep moving up the ladder though. Their shows always seem to peak right around Atlanta instead of in Indy. Almost seems like they design their show to only last through the middle of July, it's just strange. I'm sure in the next couple of years they'll be up in the Top 5 again, if they can bring their A game. No one is going to just move them up because of their name. They have to earn it, same way Bluecoats have earned it, SCV earned it back, Crown earned it too. Every corps in the Top 5 or 6 has worked hard for a long time to earn those positions, they weren't gifts from sympathetic judges. Madison has to earn those positions back, as much as some people claim conspiracy to keep them down. They're just not at that point yet in their rebuild, but they will get there.

• Like 6

That's the issue...They've been talking the "crank it up" game for the past few years, and they end up leaving cash on the table over and over again! Yes, improvements in areas are very nice, but great leadership knows how to pull greatness out of individuals such that they had no idea they had it within. Not being afraid to swing for the fences and then daily showing everyone how it's done is an admirable exercise.

What I've seen the past three years from Madison is a wholesale rebuilding of an entire program that was NOT in finals in 2009 and heading South.

From 2010 to today, the corps has gotten better each year in each caption, and I don't care what the scores are from year to year...

This year, they'll be considerably better than the last three years. I'd bet they're going to break 90, and they'll probably make it to 92. 2005 was the last time that happened.

You can't expect to go from 15th to 1st in 4 years... Frankly, they HAVE cranked it up each year...

It took Star of Indiana 7 years to win DCI with Mason at the helm; 4 years after they first broke 90 at finals.

Yes, it took BD 4 years to go from 24th to 1st, but that was the 70s and they had Santa Clara people...

I believe that Mr. Mason and company will get Madison back into the title hunt pretty soon. I seem to remember someone talking about a 5 year plan to get Madison back on top form. That sounds familiar, as I remember hearing Jim Mason and Donnie VD talking about a three year plan for Star in '89 during some of the winter camps. That worked out well for Star. And yes, they were VERY frustrated by the results of 1988 when they were in 7th place and felt they were being underscored, JUST like you feel. Things worked out ok for that organization in the end and they will for Madison as well.

They ARE pulling greatness out of the men of Madison, and it's going to payoff in the next few seasons. Have faith in your Brothers and give it more time before bringing out the pitchforks and let the leaders and members execute their plan. thumbup.gif

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 5

What I've seen the past three years from Madison is a wholesale rebuilding of an entire program that was NOT in finals in 2009 and heading South.

From 2010 to today, the corps has gotten better each year in each caption, and I don't care what the scores are from year to year...

This year, they'll be considerably better than the last three years. I'd bet they're going to break 90, and they'll probably make it to 92. 2005 was the last time that happened.

You can't expect to go from 15th to 1st in 4 years... Frankly, they HAVE cranked it up each year...

It took Star of Indiana 7 years to win DCI with Mason at the helm; 4 years after they first broke 90 at finals.

Yes, it took BD 4 years to go from 24th to 1st, but that was the 70s and they had Santa Clara people...

I believe that Mr. Mason and company will get Madison back into the title hunt pretty soon. I seem to remember someone talking about a 5 year plan to get Madison back on top form. That sounds familiar, as I remember hearing Jim Mason and Donnie VD talking about a three year plan for Star in '89 during some of the winter camps. That worked out well for Star. And yes, they were VERY frustrated by the results of 1988 when they were in 7th place and felt they were being underscored, JUST like you feel. Things worked out ok for that organization in the end and they will for Madison as well.

They ARE pulling greatness out of the men of Madison, and it's going to payoff in the next few seasons. Have faith in your Brothers and give it more time before bringing out the pitchforks and let the leaders and members execute their plan. thumbup.gif

Great points, and I agree whole heartily! Slow and steady wins the race. It's tough to watch the process and we would rather see the guys vault towards the top faster, but I would rather have consistency built over many years and launch forward from a place of strength, than shoot for the moon while sacrificing important things just for short term gain. And let's not forget, the season isn't over yet. Madison is not doomed to a certain placement/score just because of what happened last year. They have it in them to max this puppy out by Finals!

• Like 1

Anyone have an idea of Madison's rehearsal schedule before Allentown? Especially wondering what time they start.

Housing site:

Wilson Intermediate School

2400 Firmstone Street

Easton, PA 18042

Show site:

J. Birney Crum Stadium

Linden St. & 20th St.

Allentown, Pennsylvania 18105

0700: wake

0715: ACE

0745: breakfast

0830: rehearse

1130: lunch

1230: rehearse

1615: DPLC

1715: DAT

1800: leave for stadium

1900: arrive

1915: SW

2106: RTG

2116: SO

2145: snack

2215: DAT

2245: leave for Kettering, OH

0830: arrive

• Like 1

I so wish I was in Allentown PA right now, instead of here in Madison WI. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

BRING IT!

Me too...Allentown is classic, both the city, and the crowd! And GO SCOUTS!

Madison now solidly in 9th after Allentown. For those homers here who habitually wear the Madison garb while whistling past the cemetery with their green tinted glasses on...To those same green Kool-Aid drinkers who continue to hide behind the non-sense of ridiculous mantras such as "best-to-improve-slow"...Or..."no worries, we're on the right track"...Or…"hey, this is good, I trust the direction"...Question??...Why are your standards so pitifully low?...Why is mediocrity somehow spun in your minds as something good?

Improvement?...Where?

As a little comparison…For all of the Sal Salas haters out there when he was at the helm at Madison...You certainly can’t deny how quickly the man got the Scouts turned around and back up to top 6 (just talking placement...I.E, performance package, not his other short comings.)

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1