Madison Scouts 2013

So Hooah...is there a variation on that, like "Hoorah"? Or is that

more of a Hollywood embelishment?

The are variations of course. The Marines are more of a....ArAhh; Rangers & other Army Infantry and Airborne it's Hooah.....Al Pacino it's Hoorah! Green Berets don't say that ####.....they're too cool. SEALs are not allowed to talk to anyone. ph34r.gif/>

The meaning is "I agree or that is an accurate statement " as in "Sergeant, did you obliterate that enemy out post?" ......................Hooah! tongue.gif/>

Edited by Plan9

It seems like the folks on this thread were behind Madison at the beginning of the season when they were doing so well. Now that they are in 9th place , all of a sudden, they are finding all kinds of ridiculous fault with the corps. All this stuff about needing a more demanding show, being too nostalgic, etc., etc. I would like to say to these people that I think James Mason and the Madison staff know what they are doing.

I think Mad75 and I have been very consistent in this thread. We've both voiced concerns the entire season, so I think these comments are a bit hyperbolic considering the last few pages I've read. The fact of the matter is, this corps peaked somewhere around Atlanta. It's not the member's fault in any way. They have consistently been underchallenged the past couple of seasons. I had criticisms of the closer, but I think the preshow up to and through the judged portions of the opener is probably one of the most effective I've ever seen. I'll give credit where it's due and the same goes for criticism. Granted, I'm not the one doing the design and implementation. I just expected more this season and they certainly were on the precipice. It's just sad that a lack of demand kept this corps from achieving their full potential. Could have been pushing Bluecoats for 6th...instead they are fighting to keep 9th. Disappointing to say the least.

And before anyone fires off the tired "just be glad they are entertaining" line, look at where Troopers are sitting. Entertaining? By all accounts, very much so. They also might not make finals. This is a competitive activity, folks. You can be entertaining AND competitive. We've got one...let's get the other. And please, no more "tribute" shows. Give me something more like '95 or '98 (not exact copies, but something just as exciting), and I'll be more than happy.

• Like 2

Many here raved about the Scouts visual program early in the season, but quite honestly, the Scouts visual design is nowhere near top 12 material. Madison must raise the bar & expectations visually. Regarding the new ending, it is weak. The old ending was way better.

Actually....both endings aren't very good. Current ending is smarter and cleaner...but inadequate, IMO. Visually, I feel they need red in their color scheme. Way too bland for my taste...and have been since the uniform change in 2010. Current uni shows every flaw...otherwise, I really like the show...nice progress since 2010. Top 6 is coming soon!

I just watched Madison's Allentown performance and the DCI Atlanta shows. How can anyone who's honest with themselves not conclude that this year’s version of the Madison Scouts isn’t completely lacking in the visual department from beginning to end...I would even go so far as to say that this year’s version of the Scouts is a step or two into reverse from the past couple of years. Furthermore, when it comes to expecting a certain level of excitement from the Scouts, the excitement meter this year is completely broken. Now, I realize that I'm about to get flamed with personal email calling me a heretic for expressing an opinion that doesn’t toe the company line, but, based upon this year’s show, I'd say we all need to be very grateful to remain in the top 12! What in the world happened this year? And, to all of the apologist blather about "they're just fine and right on track"…what the heck are you smoking? If this is your vision of the future for the Scouts, it’s diametrically opposed to anything I ever remember seeing from this organization.

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 2

I just watched Madison's Allentown performance and the DCI Atlanta shows. How can anyone who's honest with themselves not conclude that this year’s version of the Madison Scouts isn’t completely lacking in the visual department from beginning to end...I would even go so far as to say that this year’s version of the Scouts is a step or two into reverse from the past couple of years. Furthermore, when it comes to expecting a certain level of excitement from the Scouts, the excitement meter this year is completely broken. Now, I realize that I'm about to get flamed with personal email calling me a heretic for expressing an opinion that doesn’t match up with the company line, but, based upon this year’s show, I'd say we all need to be very grateful to remain in the top 12! What in the world happened this year? And, to all of the apologist blather about "they're just fine and right on track"…what the heck are you smoking? If this is your vision of the future for the Scouts, it’s diametrically opposed to anything I ever remember seeing from this organization.

I feel the same way... with about 100 times less extremism. Scouts really haven't had a standout visual program for quite some time, and I'm willing to admit it needs improvement. Which is great! We should always look for improvements.

Honestly I feel like the uniforms themselves are handcuffing them; don't get me wrong it's a good look, just not good if you're looking to stand out in the top 6 visual programs. Unfortunately the more "earthy" colors Madison has aren't as interesting to watch as almost any other corps in DCI. The Superman suit worked so well because of the red/gold and white pants. Cavaliers' green is much more vibrant, and they have feathers. Right now Madison's choice of green is great for historical significance, but it's also handcuffing them visually. And like others have said, since 2010 the color scheme throughout the whole show has been very bland for colorguard as well. (Though I feel 2010's worked much better than the others)

Honestly my biggest complaint would go to music, but I tend to be biased against non-Suncoast-Rob-Smith. Shame Jim Prime could stick around past 2010.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando
  • Like 1

I feel the same way... with about 100 times less extremism. Scouts really haven't had a standout visual program for quite some time, and I'm willing to admit it needs improvement. Which is great! We should always look for improvements.

Honestly I feel like the uniforms themselves are handcuffing them; don't get me wrong it's a good look, just not good if you're looking to stand out in the top 6 visual programs. Unfortunately the more "earthy" colors Madison has aren't as interesting to watch as almost any other corps in DCI. The Superman suit worked so well because of the red/gold and white pants. Cavaliers' green is much more vibrant, and they have feathers. Right now Madison's choice of green is great for historical significance, but it's also handcuffing them visually. And like others have said, since 2010 the color scheme throughout the whole show has been very bland for colorguard as well. (Though I feel 2010's worked much better than the others)

Honestly my biggest complaint would go to music, but I tend to be biased against non-Suncoast-Rob-Smith. Shame Jim Prime could stick around past 2010.

In the mid 70's, we had a saying and joked that "we wear nothing more than janitor suits"...And the description was relatively spot on! The only difference was that there was enough sense to "accessorize" the uniform to the point that truly cemented the "classic" Madison look. The thing that I've not understood with Jim's vision of todays "look", is that if he was trying to do so, I don’t believe that he's recaptured Madison's "retro", or "old school" look...It's something different. More precisely, I believe that the look today is arguably much more drab than it was in the mid 70's, and the look of today is much closer to the plain pallet of the janitor uniform than it ever was (not hating on janitors here!). To my eye, todays Madison Scouts blend way to easily with the field they march upon, and maybe there's some old school philosophy afoot here that I'm just not hip to.

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1

Furthermore, when it comes to expecting a certain level of excitement from the Scouts, the excitement meter this year is completely broken.

I wouldn't call you a heretic for this view, and I agree with some of your other points about the visual program lacking

something, but excitement wise, the crowds seem to be eating it up...at least at the several shows I've attended.

I think the area where they really need the most work - and have for a long time - is the Color Guard. They do seem a bit

more consistent, and performing a little better than last year, but they have quite a ways to go to be on the same level

as the Cavaliers (a program that has been solid for decades), Boston and the corps above them. A few weeks back I was saying how their content scores were low and achievement scores higher...I think I had that in reverse, because the more viewings I've had, the more I've noticed quite a bit of dirt - drops, phasing, inconsistent body carriage - the good news there, is that they can still clean their show....there is some room for growth in the performance sub-caption....but now's the time to flippin' do it. If they can, they may at least be able to hold on to that 9th place spot....maybe even get up to 8th. Here's hoping! And I think once they get the experience of cleaning the crap out of their program, the staff can and should up the level of demand and content so that the overall score and that caption can rise significantly.

Edited by Nine White Russians
  • Like 1

I respect everyones opinion on the Scouts show this year or any other year. I have voiced my opinion to the powers at b about things . I just do not talk about family biz. in public . As an alum. I try my best not to do or say anything that might be seen or herd by my Brothers that are busting their A**'* carrying the torch that I once carried !

Edited by Bill L.

I respect everyones opinion on the Scouts show this year or any other year. I have voiced my opinion to the powers at b about things . I just do not talk about family biz. in public . As an alum. I try my best not to do or say anything that might be seen or herd by my Brothers that are busting their A**'* carrying the torch that I once carried !

Here's where we part ways in regards to philosophy. There is a prevalent belief system within and around this Brotherhood that to publically speak a discernible negative word in regards to this beloved organization is apostasy. "Family Business"?...Really? First of all, to put public comments about this organization (not the marching member) on par with attacking the sanctity of "family biz" as it relates to the Scouts hardly rises to the level of what should be truly valued as "family". There’s a great chasm between publically expressing views regarding the Madison Scouts and publically verbally abusing my wife and daughter. As an alum, sometimes this unspoken rule of "nary a discouraging word" and such stuff as "family biz" makes me wonder if things haven’t become rather cultish or Mafioso like. Ever heard of those that leave the military and speak out? How about the government or civilian whistle blower? It’s called accountability…It requires spine. Furthermore, never once have I ever said anything discernibly negative that's been directed towards our current brothers and their immense efforts. There needs to be a certain level of maturity to be able to distinguish the truth between assumed personal attack upon members and comments about the organization, direction, product, etc. I give the Men of Madison a whole lot more credit and faith than what you seem to be allowing.