Madison Scouts 2013

Congratulations Scouts on another great year...one of your best.

Any corps that can break 90 and have the audience on their feet multiple times has had a successful year.

20 years from now I'm guessing the thing you will remember most from finals night 2013 is the crowd standing and screaming when you were done.

ALL of your alumni brothers should be very proud of the way you represented the Madison Scouts.

Edited by oldbandguy
  • Like 3

Congratulations Scouts on another great year...one of your best.

Any corps that can break 90 and have the audience on their feet multiple times has had a successful year.

20 years from now I'm guessing the thing you will remember most from finals night 2013 is the crowd standing and screaming when you were done.

ALL of your alumni brothers should be very proud of the way you represented the Madison Scouts.

Yes, very proud...Always have been.

I agree 100%. "Tinker Bell" is the prefect description...& I, along with many fans find it comical & odd.

Hornine was definitely solid this year, and the drums were a pleasant surprise. Finishing 5th is no small feat considering where they were a few short years ago. As to the color guard. I remember a day when the Scouts would enter the field and you could see a confident, bad-a** attitude from the entire corps. Now, you can still feel it with the drums and horns, but then there's the guard. Now, here's where I know the red negatives will come flying. I know this will probably offend the "PC" crowd out there, but the Scouts guard just has too much of a "Tinker Bell" quality to it that just doesn't fit the rest of the corps. Considering the theme of this year's show, it was almost comical to watch the guard prancing and spinning around while the rest of the corps is singing "You'll Never Walk..." Could that really have been any less military? The Cavies guard has maintained a physical, macho style over the years that has served them well. The Scouts....not so much. I think the time has come to rethink the whole approach to the guard.

I agree 100%. "Tinker Bell" is the prefect description...& I, along with many fans find it comical & odd.

The "Tinker Bell" aspect that was prevalent at times in Madison's show just didn’t make sense with the theme...It came across as odd and just weird. How about Masculinity! (This is Madison by the way)

Edited by Mad75
  • Like 1

The "Tinker Bell" aspect that was prevalent at times in Madison's show just didn't make sense with the theme...It came across as odd and just weird. How about Masculinity! (This is Madison by the way)

I have to agree with this - as much as it pains me to say anything less than positive about the Scouts.

I also agree but to add to that when the rest of the corp is doing little leg sweep dances looks like ballerina s out there. so wish scouts would put the white pants green coats with red sash and gauntlets back on pull there lids low and went stone cold like the old days. No dancing drumlines and twinkle toe visuals. The guard needs to look to 97 guard they came off as a bunch of badasses. Am I wrong here am I off base with this assessment?

Edited by Runitagain
  • Like 2

I also agree but to add to that when the rest of the corp is doing little leg sweep dances looks like ballerina s out there. so wish scouts would put the white pants green coats with red sash and gauntlets back on pull there lids low and went stone cold like the old days. No dancing drumlines and twinkle toe visuals. The guard needs to look to 97 guard they came off as a bunch of badasses. Am I wrong here am I off base with this assessment?

Very true. I forgot about all the squatting and shaking the rest of the corps do while playing. Most of it looks completely rididulous. Unfortunately, for some reason the judging community seems to think this crap is part of the visual package, and the more a corps does, the more they like it, apparently. This supposedly demonstrates the MMs ability to do more than one thing at a time. Today's DCI prefers brass players to wiggle their butts around while playing, as opposed to the days when brass players would lean back and let 'er rip. The wiggling and squatting just doesn't do it for me.

• Like 2

Very true. I forgot about all the squatting and shaking the rest of the corps do while playing. Most of it looks completely rididulous. Unfortunately, for some reason the judging community seems to think this crap is part of the visual package, and the more a corps does, the more they like it, apparently. This supposedly demonstrates the MMs ability to do more than one thing at a time. Today's DCI prefers brass players to wiggle their butts around while playing, as opposed to the days when brass players would lean back and let 'er rip. The wiggling and squatting just doesn't do it for me.

I agree 100%. The problem is how to stay competitive in today's dancy-prancy DCI without all that crap? Sadly I think you can't.

• Like 1

• Like 2

I agree 100%. The problem is how to stay competitive in today's dancy-prancy DCI without all that crap? Sadly I think you can't.

I've seen Madison doing a bit of body movement in the last couple of years. Guess they're just trying to stay with the trends to do well.