Madison Scouts 2013

Well, it's not like Madison hasn't taken classical pieces and jazzed them up before. Pictures this year, Hall of the Mountain King in '98. Colas Breugnon in '83. I think it's a pretty good call, especially with Robert Smith doing the arranging.

• Like 1

The 75th anniversary show announcement sounds quite exciting! I see substantial potential with "Night on Bald Mountain" both musically and visually. I believe there's so much to work with in this piece that has the wonderful ability of showcasing Madison's swagger in both the big patented Madison sound along with an aggressive percussion book. Then, I can certainly imagine "Never Walk" being a devastating grown man's sob fest that completely brings the stadium to its knees! I really hope though that the guard element gets rectified in a big way for the 75th presentation. The cherry on the top for the 75th anniversary show would be the genius of an astonishing Michael Gaines "like" drill (I can dream, can’t I?)...Oh, and of course to win high horns and drums!...Ah shucks, why not just win to whole shootin match on your 75th birthday! It's only fitting, isn't it?

• Like 5

When have the Scouts played "Never Walk" in their show? Back in the early 1970's?

When have the Scouts played "Never Walk" in their show? Back in the early 1970's?

According to Drum Corps Wiki, the last time was 1970. Quite some time ago.

Given the anniversary year, I'd guess that have all their ducks in a row already and have arrangements done and in the hands of the returning vet.....that's how I'D do it!

Nothing says that can't jazz up NOBM....look at William Tell from Surf this year...a good chunk of that wasn't strictly the Rossini.

Yes, but the good thing is Bald Moutain is a powerful and technically difficult enough piece that some awesome things can be done with it. I love the idea and the piece!

Part of the title seems odd to me though "75 years of survival". I wonder if that will play into the theme somehow.

The "survival" aspect of the show refers to surviving in the context of being at war. "Corps of Brothers" in the title refers both to the Madison Scouts and to a unit in a military.

• Like 2

The "survival" aspect of the show refers to surviving in the context of being at war. "Corps of Brothers" in the title refers both to the Madison Scouts and to a unit in a military.

My first thought was "Band of Brothers" (like war) - but its not a band - its a corps!!!

I'm not even going to speculate. You can bet it's going to be a really fun drum corps show - as always! :thumbup:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Night on Bald Mountain, also known as "Night on the Bare Mountain" is definitely an unexpected choice. Madison has never played it before, but the choice of this particular work might be due to its odd history:

From Wikipedia:

"Although Mussorgsky was proud of this youthful effort, his most ambitious and only significant orchestral work, his mentor Miliy Balakirev refused to perform it. To salvage what he considered worthy material, Mussorgsky attempted to insert his Bare Mountain music, recast for vocal soloists, chorus, and orchestra, in two subsequent projects—the collaborative opera-ballet Mlada (1872) and the opera Sorochintsï Fair (1880).

However, the work achieved fame and is still best known in Nikolay Rimsky-Korsakov's edition, a 'fantasy for orchestra' titled A Night on the Bare Mountain (1886), composed 5 years after Mussorgsky's death.

A Night on the Bare Mountain was never performed in any form during Mussorgsky's lifetime.[3] The Rimsky-Korsakov edition premiered in 1886 in Saint Petersburg, and has become a concert favorite. The original tone poem by Mussorgsky was not published until 1968, and although it is seldom heard, it is gradually gaining exposure and popularity.

Many listeners became acquainted with Night on Bald Mountain through the Disney animated film Fantasia (1940), which used an arrangement of Rimsky-Korsakov's edition made by Leopold Stokowski."

A nice listen for my morning coffee. Let the games begin!