Madison Scouts 2013

I do have a question. I hear a lot about certain judges not scoring various corps well. I remember Marie Czapinski working the color guard when the Scouts performed Bohemian Rhapsody. I am not aware of a full out between the Scouts and the Czapinski's. I certainly don't mean to bring up bad feelings.

I saw where they are going to be handing out cards at shows so that everyone will know the words and can sing along.

I saw where they are going to be handing out cards at shows so that everyone will know the words and can sing along.

If that whole thing catches on it could be the best GE moment of the decade.

I remember Marie Czapinski working the color guard when the Scouts performed "Bohemian Rhapsody".

In 1979?! Yikes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand

With permission from the management, here are the lyrics...

When you walk through a storm

Hold your head up high

And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm

Is a golden sky

And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on through the wind

Walk on through the rain

Though your dreams be tossed and blown

Walk on walk on with hope in your heart

And you'll never walk alone

You'll never walk alone

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27
  • Like 1

Does he want everyone to sing? Or just alumni?

Everyone. 75 years of The Madison Scouts, without the fans we are just another group, you (the fans) make us special. Never Walk is a very important song to a lot of people, what better of a way to show our history than to share our song. It for sure is a special moment, that we want to sing with everyone.

• Like 2

The discussion a few pages back about the Scout's best era brought to mind something I had not thought of for many years. Here's a question for older Scout alums. As a teenager in 1974, I saw the Scouts perform many times. They dominated that season and I expected them to win the championship at Ithaca. The '74 Scouts had the most entertaining, exciting, thrilling show I had ever seen. After winning prelims by about a point over the Anaheim Kingsmen and Santa Clara,I was even more convinced they would win the title. When the Scouts were announced in second place behind SCV, I was shocked. So my question is: what the hell happened? In sports, the best team over the course of the season doesn't always win the championship at the end of the year. Did the corps just not put on a great performance that night in Ithaca, and SCV did?

Edited by WarriorHal

Another good showing from the Scouts last night!

The discussion a few pages back about the Scout's best era brought to mind something I had not thought of for many years. Here's a question for older Scout alums. As a teenager in 1974, I saw the Scouts perform many times. They dominated that season and I expected them to win the championship at Ithaca. The '74 Scouts had the most entertaining, exciting, thrilling show I had ever seen. After winning prelims by about a point over the Anaheim Kingsmen and Santa Clara,I was even more convinced they would win the title. When the Scouts were announced in second place behind SCV, I was shocked. So my question is: what the hell happened? In sports, the best team over the course of the season doesn't always win the championship at the end of the year. Did the corps just not put on a great performance that night in Ithaca, and SCV did?

As someone who marched with the Scouts in '74 (aged out that year unfortunately), I'll give you my answer.

First, Santa Clara marched an inspired show and we performed tentatively. But that doesn't really tell the whole story. There are a couple of interesting and little known facts that contribute to the performance levels of that night.

Santa Clara, as defending champions would normally perform last. However, they did not want to perform after us so their management made a risky but ultimately brilliant decision to perform in their prelim slot -- second to last -- ahead of the Scouts.

Meanwhile, our staff made a decision to make a few drill changes for finals (to reduce exposure). As a consequence we were thinking about the changes rather than thinking about putting on a great show. In addition, we actually had a couple guys collide on the field as a result of screwing up one of the changes in drill, which of course affected the confidence of the members who saw it occur.

After nearly 40 years, talking about this still hurts.

PS -- Thank you for your nice comments about our '74 show. I am proud to have been part of the magical year.

• Like 1