Madison Scouts 2013

I've seen Madison doing a bit of body movement in the last couple of years. Guess they're just trying to stay with the trends to do well.

Yep. I honestly can't stand that stuff when any corps does it. It just seems like part of the game that has to be played to be competitive. I don't think it enhances anything at all and wish it would die out.

• Like 1

Yep. I honestly can't stand that stuff when any corps does it. It just seems like part of the game that has to be played to be competitive. I don't think it enhances anything at all and wish it would die out.

I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it establishes simultaneous responsibility. It's easy to stand at a halt and play a part, it's much more difficult to add body movement and keep the sound solid at the same time. Just the way the judging game is now, and how the scores are awarded. Corps can go without it, but they won't score as high, and at the end of the day this is a competitive activity.

• Like 1

I just got done watching the Scouts finals performance. They were on fire! I can't wait to see what they have in store for next year.

• Like 3

Exactly...to me, most body movement just seems to be contrived and comes off as an arbitrary ingredient. I feel bad because my corps (Star), while not the first to do the body movement, really championed it to the point that it seemed that every corps after '93 began to feel compelled to include it to keep up with the Jones's.

This is going to sound arrogant or without self-awareness, but I felt the movement we did in '93 added to the show in a unique way. It had a purpose...that purpose? to make folks scratch their heads ;) (only kidding a little bit here)...it was very different to do that much of it back then and it only added to the "out there"/uncomfortable/uneasy feelings the show was trying to impart. Note: this is just my interpretation...we were never told this by the design staff explicitly. I have to be honest, there was a certain amount of satisfaction for me in confusing the heck out of people that year...apologies for derailing into historical territory.

I think drum corps has a tradition of taking the things that were "unique last year" and making them "mandatory next year." In general, I can't stand it when things are done "just because" or without intention.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Madison now solidly in 9th after Allentown. For those homers here who habitually wear the Madison garb while whistling past the cemetery with their green tinted glasses on...To those same green Kool-Aid drinkers who continue to hide behind the non-sense of ridiculous mantras such as "best-to-improve-slow"...Or..."no worries, we're on the right track"...Or…"hey, this is good, I trust the direction"...Question??...Why are your standards so pitifully low?...Why is mediocrity somehow spun in your minds as something good?

Improvement?...Where?

As a little comparison…For all of the Sal Salas haters out there when he was at the helm at Madison...You certainly can’t deny how quickly the man got the Scouts turned around and back up to top 6 (just talking placement...I.E, performance package, not his other short comings.)

Yep Jerry, I was a homer in 2002 and 2007 and 2013. 2014 will be no different. GO MADISON SCOUTS!

• Like 1

I'll take 2 more orders of that!!

That Gate Turn was the best part of their show for me. Real Impressive.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to sound arrogant or without self-awareness, but I felt the movement we did in '93 added to the show in a unique way. It had a purpose...that purpose? to make folks scratch their heads ;) (only kidding a little bit here)...it was very different to do that much of it back then and it only added to the "out there"/uncomfortable/uneasy feelings the show was trying to impart. Note: this is just my interpretation...we were never told this by the design staff explicitly. I have to be honest, there was a certain amount of satisfaction for me in confusing the heck out of people that year

After seeing this show for the first time that year (you guys were still wearing the old red unis) I remember asking a Star member if they were trying to mess with everyone just a little with that show. (Loved the show, BTW). He gave me a kind of "I don't know what you're talking about" response--but it was pretty obvious to me that there was a bit of a *wink* in the design. Glad to see after all these years that I was on to something.