DCI Finals Week & Season Wrap UP

DCI Finals 2012

Wow – where did this summer go? As I write this flying home today from Championships Week, I find myself in the place I always am this day – a bit sad & melancholy, but filled with great new memories made. Memories of great friendships renewed or strengthened, and with a heart that soared from countless wonderful moments from the corps this year. The day after Finals is always the saddest day of the year for me, because there is an emptiness that only drum corps fills that will wait another year to be filled again. At the same time, I'm thankful and blessed to have gotten to enjoy going to Finals for 24 straight years now, including when I marched and was on staff in the early 90s.

Indy marked the end of a great summer of drum corps for me – from the rain-marred Denver show, to the North Texas & San Antonio shows, my East Coast swing through Allentown & the TOC finale in the Meadowlands and then Finals week in Indy. I'm blessed to be able to take advantage of getting to enjoy that much corps each summer, and I hope I'm smart enough to never stop doing it!

As always it was great to see old friends – those magical drum corps friends you speak to all too infrequently until the summer starts each year, then you are very sad to see go after Finals are over! We had great seats this year – Up in the bottom of 640 on the 50 on Thursday & Saturday, and great seats on the 23rdrow of the lowest deck, on the 40 on Friday. Great seats to get both the visual and full effect experience upstairs and the power and passion that is drum corps from down low. I have to say that this was a very remarkable year for Drum Corps. There might not have been a tear-the-house down show this year, but I have a hard time remembering a year when there were so many watchable shows – enjoyable over multiple performances. In fact, not really a dud this year in the entire traditional top 17. Even the 3 Open Class corps I saw were better than I ever remember them being.

So, here goes. As usual, one review for the week.

Pioneer – In a summer where we lost way too many corps during tour, I'm thankful for Pioneer. I may not have enjoyed their show terribly much, but I enjoyed the effort of the kids. I hope that Pioneer is able to gain more members or perhaps reconsider Open Class vs. World Class. I wish them the best though.

Cascades – It was startling to see Cascades so small this year. Still they felt more like a World Class Corps than did Pioneer, and it's great that they are hanging on. I hope they are able to build on this to grow their membership next year. Despite the small numbers, there was some quality there with Cascades – especially in the horn line who put out a nice, but controlled, sound, and the drum line. Certainly love their uniform, and I hope they keep it for quite a while. The Shinto show had a lot of nice accents to highlight the theme by finals week, and I hope the kids are proud of what they accomplished.

Mandarins – Mandarins had one of their more forgettable shows this year. This is a corps that seems to have lost some of the feisty little Asian-tinged corps that always over-achieved and performed. The uniform, even, is still part of the problem – after several years it has not grown on me, and has no character. Still, there were some nice moments in this show, from the terrific tribal drum break to the fleeting 2012 flashed in the drill. Thanks, Mandarins!

Vanguard Cadets – Wow. I waited until their last show of the year to see them on Friday night, and boy do I regret it! What a wonderful show from Vanguard Cadets. Perhaps the most melodic, and with the best horn line, I've ever heard from them. This tradition show was so accessible & melodic, and the great drum corps tunes like Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, Russian Christmas Music, and the Great Gate of Kiev were wonderfully arranged and performed. The theme, the chase for the Aussie hat & uniform change all added to the effect of what was a wonderful show that truly gave me goose bumps – something that hardly ever happens for a corps sitting in 22nd place. Bravo!

Blue Devils B – like their Vanguard Cadet friendly rivals, I can't ever remember seeing BDB this good either. A huge, lush, powerful horn line highlighted the show, along with a very strong visual performance. Perhaps this show was not as moving or memorable as Vanguard Cadets, but it was very, very well done.

Oregon Crusader – What a large, impressive corps! OC came to play this year, and very much deserved their Open Class trophy. The show had a nice theme which was not over-done, and was communicated well. The color progression was wonderful, and unlike many smaller or lower placing corps, OC is wise enough to bring us some recognizable & accessible music that really propelled the show forward. Even as much as it has been used, the sunrise and Simple Gifts was a great finishing touch. Another corps with a very sharp uniform,too. This really feels like a corps on the move, and I hope they have the financing to move on up to World Class soon.

Jersey Surf – What can I say, I just loved Surf this year! So fresh, fun and WELL DONE!!! Even after 4 viewings the show stayed just as fresh and fun as the first viewing. This is a niche that I hope Surf stays in. It's one that has been absent so long for Drum Corps. I think they have a ton of potential to grow operationally and competitively with this type of show and the goodwill and fan love it is bringing them. That love was well deserved. Who would have thought Party Rock Anthem would translate so well to the field and be such a highlight of the Summer? A long, loud and incredibly well deserved standing ovation for Surf at the end and after their show Friday. Behind the fun, this was also a very technically sound corps, with a powerful horn line and a very competent guard. The fake judge who joins the last dance was a perfect finishing touch, too. Thank you, Surf!

Troopers – It is wonderful to see Troopers with such a large and TALENTED corps. The kids in this corps were excellent, and they performed the heck out of what was absolutely the worst vehicle in World Class DCI this summer. The design is not their fault, and thankfully, they poured their hearts into perfecting the show anyway. Friday was by far the best the show sold the entire summer. The problem? Just an incredibly poor choice for the music book. Just not interesting, engaging or effective in so, so many places. I really hope the design team goes back to square one and builds on Troop's unique and adored heritage. As other corps have shown, you can stay true to your identity while still being modern and competitive. They have so much momentum with numbers of kids and talent – don't waste that momentum!

Colts – Colts seemed young to me this year, and this was certainly not one of Colts better designed shows. The guard program and the "boundaries" in particular seemed amateurish and not effective. However, the kids performed what they had well. Kudos to Colts for recovering from what was a very dirty performance in Allentown to have by far their best show of the summer on Friday. The All By Myself closer really was nailed Friday, full of that last show of the year emotion,and with a great connection with the crowd. While the rest of the show didn't live up to that design level, that closer is still with me today as I fly home.

Pacific Crest – Without question, this is the best PC has ever been. I thought they really brought it in Indy. I think that 16thfinish is a new high for them? PC had a powerful horn line, and marched a more demanding drill this year. The show was also musically solid, and the True Colors closer, along with the melody mixed throughout the show was very well done. It's amazing what this corps does with the limited rehearsal approach they have before leaving for tour.

The Academy – Academy has been one of my favorite corps for the last several years. I don't know that I enjoyed this music book nearly as much as especially the music books they had for a few years when Klesch was arranging, but this show was still very engaging and interesting. The guard program really progressed as the summer went along, and the closing flags were beautiful & well done. Musically, this "Left of Spring" felt too disjointed – all the way up to Finals. However, by Indy, the 2nd half of the show was very effective and exciting – from the section that included the"tug of war" (a great touch) to the end, the show really took flight. Academy did not have the power they have had in the past, but the horn line had a warm, wonderful sound. The down ending was also quite effective, especially from up top.

Glassmen – It's hard to put a finger on what was missing with Glassmen this year. The show was immensely watchable, the horn line was powerful, the drum line stood out, and the guard had some very effective ensemble moments. There just wasn't an engagement factor to pull you into this show. Perhaps that was to be expected with the theme of making glass? The highlight to me was definitely the powerful, well done Organ Symphony closer. Great to hear that on the field again.

Blue Stars – I'm sure the organization is disappointed with missing Finals, but this was actually a very competent, talented corps that put out a nice show by season's end – a great recovery from a very shaky start in June. In a way, this show was just too much – too much volume at times (not enough contrast), too much drill demand without the corresponding effect (or cleanliness), and so much going on that it felt a bit messy to the end. I haven't been sold on Rosander's drill for a long time. Hasn't seemed to work for anyone after SCV,including Regiment, Scouts and now Blue Stars. Just too much demand to be clean, and not enough effect. Still, there were great moments in this show, both musically and visually. The ballad was wonderfully done, in particular. While I remain not a fan of overly-chopped-up classics, their take on New World worked fairly well for me by Finals week, too. Just too many stellar shows above them this year to stay in Finals. I hope they come roaring back soon, with a show more like some of their more romantic-themed shows like Le Tour, The Factory, and Houdini. And one more hope, at least it's my hope – a new uniform that isn't so grey.

Crossmen – What a crowning achievement for Crossmen to pull up into Finals this weekend – and very well deserved. Crossmen had one of my favorite shows this year. The Michael Jackson "Earth Song"opener was one of the best moments on the field this summer – both musically and visually, with those brilliant blue double flags performed so well by the very strong color guard. What a great show. The closing push with their cross was very, very exciting as well. Bravo, Crossmen! Welcome back to Finals after an all-too-long absence. I hope this is just the start of great things for them, and I hope they continue to bring the great music arrangements to the field that they've brought the last 2 years now. What a difference a change in arrangers has made!

Spirit of Atlanta – Spirit brought such a well done, tasty Vegas show to the field this year. I really enjoyed them. So many nice drill and guard touches that added to the Vegas theme, too. By the end of the year, though, it felt like Spirit peaked back in late July. Another day or 2 & I think Crossmen would have passed them, too. Still, easily the best Spirit has been since the 80s, and that's great to see. I can't wait to see what they do next year.

Blue Knights – I just couldn't get enough of this show this year from Blue Knights. Many people wrote them off after a very rough start with their Stanford show/June performances, but wow, talk about a Phoenix rising from the ashes! This was a brilliantly designed, complex, and very demanding show. From up top, one of the best constructed shows of the season, from Sylvester's stellar drill to absolutely the best uses of color in DCI this year. So many intricate touches in this show, from the spaceship, spaceship landing with the door opening, to the evolving green to yellow to red color scheme. The finale from Firebird was absolutely one of the highlights of the year – and that last set was just perfect. Thank you Blue Knights for taking a risk and making it pay off in spades! A very well deserved 10thplace.

Madison Scouts – From the Malaguena/Great Gate of Kiev moment to the end of the show, the last few minutes of this show was vintage Scouts. That combined music moment with those 2 pieces was too short but oh so great & exciting! Unfortunately, to me, the rest of the show, from a music book perspective, didn't live up to what Scouts brought us in 2010 & 2011. Too disjointed for my taste. Still, another wonderful horn line from Scouts, and they delivered the goods. By Saturday night I also appreciated the effectiveness of their drill more than I had all summer. The guard was noticeably cleaner by Saturday night too – though still the weakest section of the corps. I think Madison was swinging for the fences this year, but instead got a single. Still they got a hit. It will be interesting to see where they head next season, for sure! 2 requests –please back off the bass from the synthesizers – to be one of the worst abusers while fielding 16 wonderful contras is a travesty. 2nd, step up the visual game Madison. Take advantage of all that athleticism being an all-male corps can bring.

Cavaliers – Just shocking to see a design vehicle this average from Cavaliers. And that's what it was – average. It wasn't bad, and the show was enjoyable, but it just wasn't in the ballpark compared to the designs this powerhouse has brought to the field from 1999 through the last decade. I think Boston deserved to beat them Saturday - Cavaliers just never got to the level of cleanliness visually that Boston did by Saturday, and the visual design was as middle of the pack as those 10th place finishes in GE Visual and Visual Analysis suggested. Still, a very competent 8thplace. Will be very interesting to see, too, where this corps goes from here.

Boston Crusaders – Boston took a lot of chances this year, playing some major war horses of classical music, as well as past elite Drum Corps shows. By season's end, they had put their own twist on these pieces and presented a very respectable and enjoyable Titans program. Powered by a terrific guard, a well designed visual program that was executed extremely cleanly, and a very moving build up slow movement in the middle of the show, Boston really shined on Saturday night. From up top, they were just cleaner than Cavaliers – and markedly so. While this show was surprisingly a bit dry, and almost sterile, they also punched just enough more emotion and power into the show to move it up. Well done, Boston! That middle piece with the slow build became one of my favorite moments of the year, and the double red flags were a perfect touch.

Bluecoats – Unmasqued was undoubtedly one of my favorite music books this year. And boy, did Bloo play. What a fantastic music ensemble and performance. The horn line had one of the warmest, cleanest, thickest sounds on the field this summer – just a joy to listen to. The drum line really threw down, too, and the guard added some terrific highlights, both on weapons and in some great ensemble flag moments. The weakest part of the show, to me, was the closing minute. It just felt anti-climatic all season long. Saturday, though, was the most emotionally impactful that the ending was delivered all season.

Santa Clara Vanguard – It's wonderful to see the progression of this corps. SCV brought us a very solid music book, and was powered by a terrific drum line and a very powerful horn line. The arrangements, though, - a surprise for me with JD Shaw there – never really came completely to life. SCV was very pretty to watch, and had a very powerful sound. However, they never really completely cleaned up the drill, and the music lacked emotional punch at times. At times the brass were a bit top heavy and thin on top at that. Still, this was easily SCV's 3rdbest show of the last decade (behind 2004 and 2009). While it was neat to see Music of the Night added to the show, I feel like that segment lost all it's momentum with the pause & drum lick before the push. Loved the down ending, though – no one does down endings like Vanguard!

The Cadets – Who would of thought Cadets would put together such a demanding and entertaining show with a Christmas theme? I for one did not! I was very happily proven wrong. I truly enjoyed Cadets this summer – and all parts of the show. Not the deepest of shows – and I think that cost them as they peaked over the last week, but still, what a fun show! Sitting up top, though, by Saturday night, it was clear they were not close to Regiment the way Phantom surged this weekend. Still, the "Do You Hear What I Hear" ballad was one of my favorite musical moments this summer. The drill was also simply amazing.

Phantom Regiment – Congratulations, Regiment, on your 6thhighest score of all time at Finals – only behind New World Symphony (89), Defiant Heart (96), Rhapsody (05), Faust (06) and Spartacus (08). And that feels about right, too. Certainly, I have a huge bias towards Regiment, but wow, did they surge –again- over the last week. From up top,this was simply a stunning visual design – as the judges also saw as they scored 3rd and 2nd in GE Visual, Visual Analysis & Color Guard off & on in Indy. Jamie Thompson, you were sorely missed, and wow, it's amazing what he's doing with Regiment now. Turandot is also my favorite Opera, so I was thrilled with this show choice, of course! I will say, the show felt a bit flat on Thursday and Friday (but very clean), but they really let loose on Saturday night. Equally impressive was the size of Regiment's score jump from Thursday to Saturday – also very much deserved. Thank you, again, Phantom Regiment, for moving me like no one else every does. Theatrical, beautiful, and passionate. Bravo.

Carolina Crown – Crown really accomplished an amazing show this year. Unbelievable demand executed at a jaw-dropping level. Visually, the demands were almost silly – though sometimes it did feel like demand for demand's sake, without enough effect, or without need. Crown was marching incredibly well by finals, though. Musically, oh my. Such power, control and intonation. Just unmatched. The exposure in this show was ridiculous –and they never once faltered. The big finale to Fanfare was worth the entire price of admission. What did seem lacking this year, though, was heart. When Crown can meld their performance with a design that is on the same par, look out!

Blue Devils – I have to admit I spent much of this season not sold on BD and hoping that Crown could catch them. I liked the music book – a lot – but wasn't sold on the program. By Indy, though, wow, they really sold it to me. The whole package was done incredibly well. Sitting high in Indy, too, by Saturday, having become accustomed to the show, I realized they had far more drill than I gave them credit for. BD clearly deserved this championship. Their performance levels from guard to brass to percussion were just out of this world. The showmanship BD brings every year is just a sight (and sound) to behold. Was it my favorite show this year? No. But I did like it a lot, and they deserved that high score, for sure.

So that's it – my usual overly-long wrap up of DCI Finals and the season. Thanks for reading if you stuck with this to the end!

Special kudos to my favorite shows this summer:

· Phantom Regiment

· Crossmen

· Jersey Surf

· Blue Knights

- Vanguard Cadets

I enjoyed many, many others, but these were real highlights for me, every time they came on.

That's it til next year, sadly. To all my great drum corps friends, I miss you already.

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
  • Like 7

Thanks for the review, I agree with much of it. DOn't forget Phantom Regiment's 1996 score of 97.4 when you rank this year's score historically.

Doh! How could I have forgotten? Thanks! Edited...

Harvey

What a well articulated and thought out review! Really enjoyed reading it, and I'm reight there with you on your analysis of the corps!

Later,

Mike

The best review of the season, hands down. :worthy: Thank you for thoughtfully articulating your views on each corps without turning negative or stating your opinions as fact.

Awesome review! Way better than anything I write. Really thorough stuff here. I never got to see BD live, sadly, and I had to feeling that live that show would have thrilled me. I went nuts over their 2010 production. Just loved it! They are one of those corps you just have to see live. Having said that, Phantom was by far my favorite this year.

Your 2009 Finals review was one of the first things I read on my first visit to DCP, and the post that convinced me that these forums were worth reading. A highlight every year!

Wow, guys. Thanks for the kudos, especially from such knowledgable folks that I respect so much. I think I do this more to make permanent the special memories for myself, but to know someone else enjoys my thoughts is great to know, too!

Harvey

You are correct in PC being in 16th was their highest finish. Very proud of my hometown corps