2013 Programs

Academy made a full announcement today.

http://www.arizonaacademy.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=424%3Athe-academy-2013-presents-qpianomanq&catid=37%3Anews&Itemid=94

Willkommen to Café Academé! In the style of cabarets and burlesque, our Emcee "Pianoman" will take us on a journey of 20th century music. From Weill and Dietrich, to Shostakovich!

We laugh, we love, we fight. But in the end we all sing along with "Pianoman".

Musical Selections include:"Wilkommen" from Cabaret (John Kander)

Alabama Song (Kurt Weill)

Falling in Love Again (Fredrick Hollander)

Piano Concerto No 2, Mvmt 1 (Dmitri Shostakovich)

PianoMan (Billy Joel)

Spotify Playlist updated. Apologies for the delay. I was on vacay in FLA.

Edited by mingusmonk

Boston did a full theme show on Les Miz in 88. ( but did not make Finals ). Cadets did Les Miz the following year in '89 ( and it was terrific as well, imo )

Boston did " Unsquare Dance " in '68

Bernstein's " Mass " in 76 and 77

"Festive Overture" in 78

" Pictures in an Exhibition " in '92

" Sheherazade " in '93

" Our Town " in '96

" Chester Overture " in '97

That said, I would not say that other Corps copied the music later that Boston did... and I see nothing wrong with Corps doing what might have been done before as most often Corps add their own unique twist to it as well... either musically, or more increasingly, the visual that accompanies the musical piece. Lke you, I am interested in what the Corps are doing with their selections this year that in many cases.. once again... has been done before by other corps when we look at the 2013 selections announced so far.

Good point, BRASSO. Actually, I think alot of folks would be surprised by the amount of material Boston haa put on the field BEFORE the most recent versions done by other corps, including the source material for BAC 2009, which was performed by Boston well before PR. But, then again, it probably isn't so surpising when you consider it is, after all, a 73 year old drum corps.

As for 2013, we will have to see.

Boston did a full theme show on Les Miz in 88. ( but did not make Finals ). Cadets did Les Miz the following year in '89 ( and it was terrific as well, imo )

Boston did " Unsquare Dance " in '68

Bernstein's " Mass " in 76 and 77

"Festive Overture" in 78

" Pictures in an Exhibition " in '92

" Sheherazade " in '93

" Our Town " in '96

" Chester Overture " in '97

That said, I would not say that other Corps copied the music later that Boston did... and I see nothing wrong with Corps doing what might have been done before as most often Corps add their own unique twist to it as well... either musically, or more increasingly, the visual that accompanies the musical piece. Lke you, I am interested in what the Corps are doing with their selections this year that in many cases.. once again... has been done before by other corps when we look at the 2013 selections announced so far.

Add to that list...

John Adams "Harmonium" which Boston did in 2001 which was later part of Phantom's "Harmonic Journey" in 2003. I am still waiting for a corps to do justice that piece of music. "Harmonium" is definitely a piece that would be enhanced by the electronics that have been added since those corps performed it. .

Edited by bluesman

• 2 weeks later...

Boston Crusaders, "Rise"

http://bostoncrusaders.com/news/331-preview-2013

On the home page, there is a reference to Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise."

Boston Crusaders, "Rise"

http://bostoncrusade...31-preview-2013

On the home page, there is a reference to Maya Angelou's "Still I Rise."

Music from Thom Yorke, Eric Whitacre, John Powell, Hans Zimmer and Ryan George.

Music from Thom Yorke, Eric Whitacre, John Powell, Hans Zimmer and Ryan George.

Where is this info coming from? I don't see it on the BAC site.