Another open letter to DCI.

I don't think Chick-Fil-A or DCI is serious enough to stage a boycott over. There are far more important things that might warrant that kind of response. With that being said, I understand people losing interest in DCI because of the way things are going. I get tired of nonsense too but I realize what is nonsense to me might not be to others so I keep it moving.

When I saw the way the season was going, I lost interest in driving miles to a show or even going to DCI at the movies. Will I stay away forever, definitely not. As soon as I get wind that someone is doing a certain something or this corps is making a surge towards the top, I will want to know and see.

I see it like this, if you don't like a certain artist, don't buy their music. Don't stop listening to music entirely. There will always be something out here for EVERYONE.

• Like 7

I'm sure I'll get a beating for saying this, but it sure seems like a lot of people care more about their own personal gratification when it comes to drum corps than what should be the primary focus of DCI (making sure the participants have a great experience). If you aren't entertained, then so be it. You are free to complain and boycott DCI if you want to. Just remember that it is more than just the "designers" that are impacted by you leaving. There is a lot more going on here than just "entertaining the fans".

I agree about the personal gratification thing, but I believe the real culprits here are those designers you talk about, not the fans.....

• Like 3

I agree about the personal gratification thing, but I believe the real culprits here are those designers you talk about, not the fans.....

You should ask the members of BD what they think about that.

• Like 2

You should ask the members of BD what they think about that.

I think the MMs of Devils are a lot like the MMs of Cadets a few years ago. They know what the corps is about and the controversy around it, but they go there because they like what the corps is doing. So I wouldn't expect a lot of them to agree with me.

• Like 1

I understand where the OP is coming from, but I believe BD should have won and I loved the show. I have disagreed w/ placements in the past, more so in WGI. However, as a fan and former drum corps MM, I remind myself that I have never been trained to adjudicate DCI or WGI or BOA. GE is only a part of the score; much of the sheet is technical. Championships have been one and lost based on a percussion score alone. "Most entertaining" and "highest achieving" are two very different things, and this goes w/out saying.

There have been proposals floating around by other frustrated fans that would address your concerns, such as audience input as part of GE score, etc., or revamping the score sheets in other ways. A perfect system is not possible; we have to accept an imperfect and subjective system.

I see BD's success this season in part by putting myself in the judge's shoes... they judge all summer long. If they've been around a while, they've seen and judged hundreds of shows, and have heard a lot of the same compositions re-hashed many times over the years, and experienced many of the same or similar visual effects and show constructions. I believe a show like BD 2012 is a "judge's show" show because it is so unique and refreshing. And no one can seriously argue BD's performance level and skills aren't top-notch.

There have been WGI shows over the years receiving mild audience reaction and mixed reviews from fans (often pretty bi-polar reactions) which won w/ really high scores, so this is not a unique phenomenon to DCI. Onyx's art show comes to mind, which I consider one of the best shows of all time. BD this year was something new. It reinvented the wheel a little bit. It re-defined what drum corps can be. For some, (purists), this is threatening, or at least off-putting. To others, it's exciting and invigorating. I'm in the latter camp, but I understand why others feel as they do.

Edited by ordsw24
  • Like 3