Another open letter to DCI.

Except that it seems to be judged sporadically. I've not seen the sheets, so I can't say for sure, but if the balance is so bad (as in the case of some Cavies shows this year) as to make the show unbearable for a large part of the audience, that should be grounds for a last place finish. Imagine if the percussion were so loud throughout a show that no one could hear the brass. How would that affect scoring? My thinking is, if you're going to use electronics, you had better use them flawlessly--especially if they're being run by a non-youth participant (which also gets under my skin).

Every section should be balanced perfectly to achieve the highest score. The Cavies were 8th in music ensemble this year as well as in music effect. Was some of that due to balance issues? No way of knowing without hearing tapes. As for a 'large part of the audience'...outside of anecdotal evidence here, how do you know that? I didn't hear any such complaining at West Chester when they performed (different venue, of course). Nor did they seem so out of balance in that stadium as some here say they were in Indy. But...if they were out of balance and it was not reflected in the score of the proper captions, that would be a judge issue, not a sheet or corps issue.

Some of the complaining I see here about amped/electronic sections being too loud seems to come from those who hate the idea of them in the first place. I read reviews of shows I was at, and it seems like we were at totally different shows when I read the complaints. Are there examples of poor balance? Sure. Just as with any sections, in any era. IMO it is just nowhere close to being as poor as reported on DCP.

So it's better to include things that almost no one would miss at the expense of losing certain fans than to eliminate something that almost no one would miss to keep more fans? Is that the trade-off that is best for DCI's future? To me, that makes absolutely no sense. I say plug the hole and fill the bucket faster.

It is better to let the corps decide what they want to do...do what they think is in their best interest long term. If a former fan of drum corps just can't accept something new, they are best off leaving. Personally, I find it odd that an amp...or an electronic instrument...creates such angst in some former fans. They have been around for decades and decades...long overdue in drum corps.

Ok...lets be honest...when has anyone ever heard a fan in the stands say that they love the narration or amplification? Has anyone ever said this or heard someone else say this?

Sure...I loved the Cadets 07 narration...thought it fit into the show perfectly, and I've heard others say the same...same thing about other corps that have used narration in spots.

I've heard many good comments about the sound of various corps...the use of amps is part of what creates the sound...but an amp is not an instrument..it just amplifies existing instruments, so I doubt you would hear "gee I like the amp"...you'd more likely hear "gee their sound is just awesome".

Ok...lets be honest...when has anyone ever heard a fan in the stands say that they love the narration or amplification? Has anyone ever said this or heard someone else say this?

One thing that absolutely must change is the way corps are introduced & the whole pre show warm up & show beginning. This entire process is disjointed & confusing. The announcers are even confused at times. The corps takes the field & is announced, then they start their pre show warm up, then the announcer announces the corps again...the whole thing is odd & people don't really know when the show starts.

And for the love of God, PLEASE tell Brandt Crocker to stop the raspy voiced corps introductions. When he announces PR it sounds like gibberish. How about a Female announce with a nice voice who speaks in a normal tone & manner?

I very much love most of the narrations corps use. Especially spirit, I was upset when the opening dialogue was cut.

And aren't you just a bundle of angst. Brandt Crocker does a fine job and his raspy announcements are something I personally look forward to. I love Dan Potter but it definitely feels like finals when I hear Brandt's voice.

One thing that absolutely must change is the way corps are introduced & the whole pre show warm up & show beginning. This entire process is disjointed & confusing. The announcers are even confused at times. The corps takes the field & is announced, then they start their pre show warm up, then the announcer announces the corps again...the whole thing is odd & people don't really know when the show starts.

And for the love of God, PLEASE tell Brandt Crocker to stop the raspy voiced corps introductions. When he announces PR it sounds like gibberish. How about a Female announce with a nice voice who speaks in a normal tone & manner?

Shows I have enjoyed narration/voiceovers and thought the show was much better with it:

Crown 2007

Spirit 2011, 2012

BD 2012

Bluecoats 2007

Jersey Surf 2012

Cavaliers 2012

That being said, some examples of narration/voiceovers have been ATROCIOUS (in my opinion of course):

Cadets 2007-2008, 2012

Carolina Crown 2004

Boston Crusaders 2004

Bluecoats 2012

BD 2005