Another open letter to DCI.

news flash DCP is a fraction of the people or opinions on anything within the activity :tongue:but youre right ANYONE can claim majority if the seek long enough,,,,so im with ya

But DCP probably represents a more drum corps savvy segment than most. I'm not sure the opinions expressed here can be dismissed out of hand.

This old dino is done with drum corps i believe. Seeing that Crown didnt win it just doesnt seem like drum corps anymore. Where is the boston crusaders 2000 show. Where is Crown 2007 show so exciting. I still love me some boston 99 as well. I dont hate Bd hell i turned them down for a spot in 77 to march with the Kingsmen. I felt loyalty to the Kingsmen. 76 BD is one of the best shows ever fielded imo. Things are so different now. I really believe that i am done and that sadens me. Long live drum corps it was the best years of my life. Peace out.

The disconnect between what so many GE judges prefer and what so many audience members prefer is a problem for DCI. I totally get that many people loved some of the more recent controversial shows that did so well in spite of a less-than-enthusiastic response from many other audience members. With all the styles, all the networks of corps alumni and families, and an intensely hard-fought, competitive environment, there will always be controversy and unhappy fans. But I do question the wisdom of this interpretation of GE in this financially fragile activity.

:tongue:

Well I haven't sat in many planning meetings at work recently where my manager has said "there's a need to re-invent the wheel".

I cannot explain why this comment caused me to think of the following dialog in a 1951 movie. Nor is it related to to any show this season. Anyway, here it is:

In the 1951 screenplay for the movie Scrooge by Noel Langley, Fezziwig is advised to bend with the times and sell out, but Fezziwig resists this call to progress:

Jorkin: "Mr. Fezziwig, we’re good friends besides good men of business. We’re men of vision and progress. Why don’t you sell out while the going’s good? You’ll never get a better offer. It’s the age of the machine, and the factory, and the vested interests. We small traders are ancient history, Mr. Fezziwig.”

Fezziwig: “It’s not just for money alone that one spends a lifetime building up a business…. It’s to preserve a way of life that one knew and loved. No, I can’t see my way to selling out to the new vested interests, Mr. Jorkin. I’ll have to be loyal to the old ways and die out with them if needs must.”

I apologize to those who may find this irrelevant. I find it to be most relevant.

Edit: corrected punctuation between last two sentences.

Edited by Mellofello01
  • Like 2

IMComguy,

Could you elaborate on your "we no longer have right and wrong in shows." I don't quite follow what you mean by that.

As for tagging WGI and its designers and evolution for DCI's imminent demise, it's curious that WGI's growth has been phenomenal over the years.

I realize the cost/ tour structure of WGI is not as challenging as DCI, and they have a scholastic component to draw from, but their attendance has held steady and grown as the activity has evolved. The WGI powers-that-be have always been very active in defining their activity, embracing change in conjunction w/ vigorous debate, and devising score sheets that reflect design and performance standards they have deemed valuable. Many of the great innovators in drum corps responsible for some its best moments came from WGI outright or honed their skills as designers there.

BOA has likewise embraced change and rewards innovation in show design, and their audience numbers also appear to be steady as far as I can tell.

Tarpon Springs' nightmare show was super innovative imo and reflects in one show the many changes that have taken place over at BOA, and the audience loved it. It was w/out a doubt one of the favorite shows of the year across the board. I can't wait for more shows like this.

I realize BOA and WGI are not DCI. Perhaps DCI relies more on ticket sales from true fans, as opposed to the ready-made audience filled w/ parents of school-aged children.... not sure. Perhaps DCI is not in danger of going down in a ball of flames if such changes continue, as theorized.

Maybe DCI fans are just more nostalgic, and risk-averse (for change) and more apt to be purists than BOA or WGI. Some WGI fans complained about Onyx's win w/ their art show b/c they didn't get it or it wasn't entertaining enough, but I heard very few existential threats to WGI being voiced because of it, or calls for a boycott, etc.

Maybe w/ BD winning, some posters on here believe DCI is endorsing this style of show, and fear other corps will follow suit. Not so at all, imo. Cadets Bjork show was similar in many respects. PR is still very much PR, and will likely to continue to be PR. Many corps have their own traditions that would never allow for a show like Dada to hit the field. Kinda scratching my head about all this existential angst over the future of drum corps as it relates to design and evolution.

Edited by ordsw24
  • Like 1

I don't believe that's accurate. Playing to win is important, it's an important step in the journey towards being the absolute best. Winning rocks. Make no mistake about that. But without loosing there is no winning. The Blue Devils understand that better than most. For all of the World Championship trophies, they've had more heartbreaking losses than any other corps too. It's all part of the game.

And don't think for one second that not winning is the same as failure. It's not...especially at BD.

I honestly think that the outward appearance BD wants to have is that they care very much about winning. I don't think that little promo they had earlier in the season (the one where they say they aren't familiar with second place) was a mistake. They want to be "that" corps. This is their front.

However, I know that isn't the whole story inside the corps.

Edited by charlie1223

You are right. it's not the whole story.

competition is very important but there is another aspect to it with BD. winning isn't just the whole thing it's being the baddest mofo's in BD history. We want to play the hardest licks and look like it aint no big thang. BD isn't just competing with your corps. They are competing with last years corps and every other one that came before. and the show you did yesterday sucks because to day you are going to whoop your own best!

• Like 1

But DCP probably represents a more drum corps savvy segment than most. I'm not sure the opinions expressed here can be dismissed out of hand.

its a very small part of the activity....define savvy....and just being around for years doesnt mean savvy, just means around along time..I have a few friends I marched with who go to shows every year , that cant get out of their own way with their totally uneducated opinions on todays activity. Im not saying anyone in particular fall into this BUT many times being around a long time can mean very educated and other times all it means is you hung around

Edited by GUARDLING

its a very small part of the activity....define savvy....and just being around for years doesnt mean savvy, just means around along time..I have a few friends I marched with who go to shows every year , that cant get out of their own way with their totally uneducated opinions on todays activity. Im not saying anyone in particular fall into this BUT many times being around a long time can mean very educated and other times all it means is you hung around

What exactly constitutes an "uneducated opinion"? Most people who use that term really mean anyone that doesn't share *their* opinion.

I know there's a difference between having 10 years experience and having one year's experience 10 times, but many on this board are current or former staff, MMs, directors, etc. I think that counts.....

What exactly constitutes an "uneducated opinion"? Most people who use that term really mean anyone that doesn't share *their* opinion.

I know there's a difference between having 10 years experience and having one year's experience 10 times, but many on this board are current or former staff, MMs, directors, etc. I think that counts.....

no i have been involved with people who have only a few years experience that offer alot and I also have delt with those who have been around the activity for decades and are still stuck and all they do is moan and grown about everything down to a plume color, who would love to see high leg lift again, a color pre, boots on a guard etc etc...im always like ...why do you go...its more like a way to migrate with a few others to pat each other on the back and talk about the good ole days and how these kids dont know crap..actually real funny to watch

As far as other agreeing. It doesnt really affect me one way or another, I do what I do all summer and actually only here to give a persepective from someone on the road most of the summer. Some agree some dont, which is fine either way

I do think you overestimate whats on ANY board not just here..I can tell you here most MM are discouraged from their corps...although I can tell you there are 2 corps that have DCP night on the bus when traveling...its pretty funny, but I not getting into that...lol :shutup:

Edited by GUARDLING