When was the last G bugle manufactured?

I hate that no corps wants to try mixed-key-brasslines. Such hypocrisy. The closest we've gotten is a flugel or piccolo trumpet feature now and again.

"Hey we need to expand the instrumentation with Synths and Woodwinds! It gives designers and performers more opportunity!"

"Cool! What about designing shows with G horns back in?"

"THAT'S TOO DIFFICULT!!!"

Out of curiosity; why is it hypocrisy to not attempt a show that would require a HUGE capital expenditure to buy brass instruments in two different keys, especially when instructors claim tuning the two different types of instruments to the same temperament of pitch would be practically impossible? If something is kind of doomed to fail, based on the opinion of those who know a whole lot more about brass than I, pouring money into such a venture would be a gross negligence of appropriately utilizing available funds...funds that could go into transportation and any other number of ventures. Just my opinion, but I'm curious to hear what others think.

• Like 1

I hate that no corps wants to try mixed-key-brasslines. Such hypocrisy. The closest we've gotten is a flugel or piccolo trumpet feature now and again.

Actually, since the middle horns are in F and the rest in Bb....it IS a mixed-key brassline....

• Like 2

On the DCI side, none of the top 12 corps are playing Gs. Heck, many of the top 12 don't even play the same set of horns two years in a row. When you go to Open Class DCI, that's where you get a wonderful mixed bag of G and Bb. Racine Scouts used Gs, as do Spirit of Newark, Les Stentors, and Blue Saints. Spirit of Newark and Les Stentors actually still play a mixed bag of 2 and 3 valved horns. Les Stentors still uses at least one King K-90 contrabass. My DCA corps even borrowed a King K-70 baritone from them for a performance in which one of our baris had a... how shall I put it... accidental misplacement of appropriate equipment...

Blue Saints have been Bb since 2008 the rest is correct

• 2 months later...

On the DCI side, none of the top 12 corps are playing Gs. Heck, many of the top 12 don't even play the same set of horns two years in a row. When you go to Open Class DCI, that's where you get a wonderful mixed bag of G and Bb. Racine Scouts used Gs, as do Spirit of Newark, Les Stentors, and Blue Saints. Spirit of Newark and Les Stentors actually still play a mixed bag of 2 and 3 valved horns. Les Stentors still uses at least one King K-90 contrabass. My DCA corps even borrowed a King K-70 baritone from them for a performance in which one of our baris had a... how shall I put it... accidental misplacement of appropriate equipment...

On the DCA side, plenty of corps still use G, but that is slowly fading.

On the military side, the US Air Force Academy uses Dynasty bugles, the US Naval Academy uses 3 valved Kanstuls, and the Commandant's Own USMC Drum and Bugle Corps uses 2 valved Kanstuls (the contrabasses uses 2 pistons plus 1 half step rotary). West Point has a bugle corps of some type, however I'm not sure of the manufacturer. Also the Texas A&M Aggie Band has a bugle rank in their block band. This bugle rank uses Kanstul "regulation" bugles, aka. valveless bugles.

It's interesting that a sudden (within the past 5 years) resurgence of interest in valveless bugles has occurred. Getzen and Kanstul have started production of standard G bugles with an F tuning slide.

The famed "Hellcats" at West Point use Kanstul regulation bugles in G (with a custom slide to F).

We make scores of regulation bugles in G and Bb for the all-volunteer members of Bugles Across America. We've also been called upon to make bugles for the US Fish and Wildlife Service Honor Guard, and for the national touring company of the hit Broadway show War Horse.

• Like 1

This post reminds me of a question that I've had in the past and couldn't find a reference for answering...

Would anyone know when was the last year that each corps used G Bugles? I think that would be pretty interesting to know.

Last year for Phantom Regiment was 2002.

Yes, we had 2 valve contras all the way until the last day. I don't know if I was the last person to march a 2 valve bugle in finals, but it wouldn't surprise me if I was.

• Like 1

This post reminds me of a question that I've had in the past and couldn't find a reference for answering...

Would anyone know when was the last year that each corps used G Bugles? I think that would be pretty interesting to know.

1999 for BD and Cadets....they were the first to make the complete switch.

Dynasty still makes G bugles, and now advertises them on their web site. The prices are almost the same as Kanstul. We have members of the Defenders Alumni corps who have bought brand new from both companies.

The last new set of G bugles ordered for a DCI corps was for the Troopers 2003 corps. I remember a big deal being made for the "bugle fund." I suppose it is a bit of a historical marker for drum corps now that I think about it. I believe it was a Dynasty line. Here is a link to the DCI article about this: DCI.org News: Troopers keep “bugle” in drum and bugle corps

Edited by ScottPREuph