Staff changes

Well, when so much of your staff has been there since the 80s, 2006 is pretty recent! :tongue:

Very True! And in the span of Bill Watson's career, 2006 is pretty recent too. Seems Blue Devils only gets the best of the best, even their recent people aren't newbies to the business.

Not many people can make a High School band sound this good on the field.

Full Troopers staff is gone! I hope they get some people in there that create an EXCITING production and finally get that drumline and pit playing some real music!!

Excuse me, but as someone who marched under that staff for three years, I hope they aren't gone. They are the most incredibly talented teachers I have had the pleasure of working with, and I hope many others have the opportunity to receive their world class instruction. The troopers membership has no complaints about our staff.

• Like 1

Excuse me, but as someone who marched under that staff for three years, I hope they aren't gone. They are the most incredibly talented teachers I have had the pleasure of working with, and I hope many others have the opportunity to receive their world class instruction. The troopers membership has no complaints about our staff.

The membership should never complain about staff- unless they're being subjected to something hurtful, cruel, or unusual, that isn't their place within the organization. You also spent three years getting to know them personally and joking around with them, of course you're going to think they're great.

Additionally, as "incredibly talented" as you may be under the assumption that they are, it is well documented via recaps and many fan's opinions on here that they may not be as hot to trot as you suggest...both from a design perspective AND a technician perspective. Note that I am NOT saying anyone that is on staff there or formerly on staff there has no talent, just saying that the past few years haven't provided a whole lot of support for your argument.

As a drum corps fan and music educator I expect to be entertained by the shows that I shell out a great deal of money for myself and my family to see. I WANT to get out of my seat and throw babies and buy a bunch of shirts are the souvenir booths, but I refuse to do it when I am extremely bored by a corps on the field. The Troopers are a fantastic organization and historically they have had some seriously entertaining shows. But as of late it's been nothing but extremely droll and boring shows that have maybe one or two effective moments including my favorite effect moments- PLAYING REALLY WELL! I applaud the administration for finally realizing that there needed to be a change and are putting it in motion. Make me excited and don't make me think about buying a shirt- force my butt out of the seat by producing an excellent show.

With all of that said, I admire your defense of the staff that probably taught you many things not only about drum corps and music, but life as well.

• Like 2

The membership should never complain about staff- unless they're being subjected to something hurtful, cruel, or unusual, that isn't their place within the organization. You also spent three years getting to know them personally and joking around with them, of course you're going to think they're great.

Additionally, as "incredibly talented" as you may be under the assumption that they are, it is well documented via recaps and many fan's opinions on here that they may not be as hot to trot as you suggest...both from a design perspective AND a technician perspective. Note that I am NOT saying anyone that is on staff there or formerly on staff there has no talent, just saying that the past few years haven't provided a whole lot of support for your argument.

As a drum corps fan and music educator I expect to be entertained by the shows that I shell out a great deal of money for myself and my family to see. I WANT to get out of my seat and throw babies and buy a bunch of shirts are the souvenir booths, but I refuse to do it when I am extremely bored by a corps on the field. The Troopers are a fantastic organization and historically they have had some seriously entertaining shows. But as of late it's been nothing but extremely droll and boring shows that have maybe one or two effective moments including my favorite effect moments- PLAYING REALLY WELL! I applaud the administration for finally realizing that there needed to be a change and are putting it in motion. Make me excited and don't make me think about buying a shirt- force my butt out of the seat by producing an excellent show.

With all of that said, I admire your defense of the staff that probably taught you many things not only about drum corps and music, but life as well.

I respect your opinion as both a fan and music educator, since I am also a Troopers Alum, avid fan, and aspiring music educator myself. But my worry is that your "hot to trot" comment deserves as much validity as the opinion to which you are replying. Everyone knows that there is a huge number of variables that affect any particular season, including, but not limited to, staff selection, and show design. Yes, there may be a biased opinion from someone who has seen the inner workings of the staff, and has personal relationships with many of them. But I think it's fair to say there are as many, if not more, bias' coming from someone who is the exact opposite, in that they know no one personally, and has never seen the day-to-day inner workings of the organization.

I understand the theory of creating entertaining shows. Having marched 2010, I know we were all baffled as to what we were being told by the judges, because how could they not get it? We all understood it. But sometimes it's just an arrow off target, and you miss the bullseye. If you asked me which show I preferred to perform, 2008 or 2010, I would, without reservation, tell you 2010, because I connected with it more, and it challenged me much more than 2008 did. But I'm sure you know that's not how it was viewed by the audience. When I read about this year's show concept back in March, I was excited to see what they were going to do with the steampunk genre, because it was an unexplored area with a lot of possibilities. It just didn't turn out the way I'm sure a lot of the people, myself included, wanted to.

I also know that the most important thing for the Troopers, and a perennial theme is the importance of family and brotherhood over the idea of scores. I got 16th and 15th place, and I don't have any recollection of the final scores I had. But I will forever cherish the friends I've made, and the lessons I've learned from the Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps, and that I make a conscious effort to abide by "Honor, Loyalty, and Dedication" no matter where I am.

My edit to this post is only to emphasize that I'm not coming at this from a hostile point, nor do I take your comment from a perspective of hostility. I hope you don't take mine that way, I don't mean to come across in that manner.

Edited by acolli17
  • Like 4

I feel like all these things are design- not instructional. The corps performed very well last year, no matter the design. Replacing them just makes for even more uncertainty.

I feel like all these things are design- not instructional. The corps performed very well last year, no matter the design. Replacing them just makes for even more uncertainty.

Not uncertainty if the replacements have proven results. The new brass staff will be the envy of many in the top 12.

I also know that the most important thing for the Troopers, and a perennial theme is the importance of family and brotherhood over the idea of scores. I got 16th and 15th place, and I don't have any recollection of the final scores I had. But I will forever cherish the friends I've made, and the lessons I've learned from the Troopers Drum and Bugle Corps, and that I make a conscious effort to abide by "Honor, Loyalty, and Dedication" no matter where I am.

Thank you for putting this message out in a far more eloquent manner than I did. Every word of that is true to the experiences I had as well.