Staff changes

Reading VanDoren's bio, he's worked as staff advisor with the Blue Stars since 2005. This is very obviously speculation, but do you think there's any chance Aungst's leaving Blue Stars and going to Troopers?

Also wishful thinking...

Edited by acolli17
  • Like 1

Reading VanDoren's bio, he's worked as staff advisor with the Blue Stars since 2005. This is very obviously speculation, but do you think there's any chance Aungst's leaving Blue Stars and going to Troopers?

Also wishful thinking...

Might be wishful thinking but getting Donnie is a coup. That Hornline in 85 was the best Casper had in a long time. Lets see who comes with him. At the least I would think his son Evan will follow.

the Blue Devils just sit back and laugh....all the way to their next DCI title.

Well no not really. They don't sit back and laugh. They move on and work on the next show and see how they can top what they had just done.

• Like 4

They [bD] still produced the results with the same approach as always. And as for "remember when they were not winning"? Blah! They are the only corps who has never scored lower than 5th since 1974 and have only placed out of the top 3 seven of the last 33 years. That's a record unparalleled (and never will be paralleled...at least not for another 38 years). Say what you want, but they are the only ones doing 'something' right.

Wow, really? So all other corps should just give it up as lost because none of them are doing it right?

I know you probably did not mean that; but, perhaps a lighter tone of supporting information would be more appropriate, eh?

Look... you like BD and that is great. I agree that they have had quite an impressive and successful placement history.

Is that all that matters or are we to conclude (getting back on topic) that staff is that important to being competitively successful.

• Like 1

I never said "drum corps is all about winning". That never came out of my mouth (or off my keypad). Not once. I was simply siting example of how the corps that has one the most world championships appears to be doing things very differently than the rest of the activity...and if in fact people want to see more corps win more often, maybe OTHER corps should try doing some things the way they do it. That's it. Nowhere have I said that this activity is only about winning. Don't make my posts into something they are not and as I said in my last post, "don't be so overly dramatic". It's just drum corps. Here, watch this video for some perspective...

Now, relax and try not to take this activity so seriously. :rolleyes:

You did say that the corps who wins the most is the only one's whose system matters. Yeah, they're doing things differently, but let's not forget that if you add up every corps championships, it's more than BD. So those other corps must be doing something right with their rehearsal time if they've won too.

I think I'm pretty relaxed, I'm aged out now after spending the last 6 years around this activity in one way or another. You seem oddly defensive though, do you have any experience at the DCI level? Yes, this is a competition, and many corps should be trying to win, but if you make that the only goal, you miss the whole point of what DCI is. It's about the educational experience, and the performance. It's about the people in the stands, not the color of the medal, but the experience at the end. And this is coming from someone with a DCI ring, so I know what it's like to win.

• Like 3

Just Waffles now - thanks!

I do not think it is inherently the staff turnovers that is as bad as it is the radical sweeping changes that come with them.

This is particularly evident in percussion teams. When you look at Blue Stars since their re-emergence into Division I, they've had a clear vision for the percussion program, and Tom Aungst didn't destroy what Brent Montgomery had built, but rather refined it and built upon it. With most of these staff changes, we are seeing differences in how groups even hold a stick, and these aren't subtle changes that are being developed over time, they are just being sprung on members immediately when the new staff comes in. In the case of SCV for instance, when veterans of the organization are cut due to a new instructional team coming in, something is wrong. People need to put their egos aside for a little bit and for the sake of the kids learn to adapt to the teaching situation.

Directors or Staff Coordinators need to find an identity that they want to create and pull-in educators to forge that identity. If I want my drumline to look like SCV 04, I'm going to call Murray Gusseck and Jim Casella or their buddies such as Matt Ramey, Brian Stevens, Glen Crosby, Ralph Hardimon, Brian Perez, and Walter Turner. If I want my group to drum like the Blue Devils, I'll round up Mike Stevens, Casey Brohard, Sean Vega, etc. These are off the top of my head, I'm sure with a little bit of research one could build up a program to sustain a "style" of doing things with minor refinements each season and continue to build the quality of the package.

• Like 1

[/u]That's a shame. So, what you are telling me then is that you did not trust your staff enough to believe what they say at face value? You had to have it beat into you (emotionally speaking). That's just sad.

Nope. Not at all what I said. What I said was "I knew everything I needed to know, but my shortcomings were getting in my way." Are you really suggesting that someone blandly saying "work harder" is just as effective as someone saying it with energy? Where did I say they 'beat' it into me? Not at all. They were excited and invested in the moment, and I fed off their energy and commitment. There were zero negative consequences. I honestly don't see what is wrong with that situation.

Really? How about Blue Devils B? They are part of the same organization and take the same approach. Wait, no...actually...they DO rehearse less. Less than everyone in World Class because they have a shorter summer to begin with? That's HOW "Open Class" does it. LOL! How's that for a backfire?

Is your assertion that BDB is better than BD because they rehearse less? Because what I said was "more rehearsal, for most groups, will create a better end product."

So are you saying BDB would score lower with more rehearsal time? Because that makes zero sense.

And if you want to expand that to all "open class"... you're arguing that Blue Saints, Les Stentours, 7th Regiment, Legends, EVERYONE would score better if they rehearsed less? Because again... I said that "more rehearsal will help them score better" in regards to most drum corps.

Furthermore, it's not so much about "less rehearsal" as it is about being smart with your time and energy. It's not like the Blue Devils don't work hard. They work extremely hard. The difference is, they also work smart. They don't generally jump off a 4 hour bus ride, give their kids two hours on the floor and then crank the lights on and rush everyone out to the field for 14 hours. It's called balance. They work hard....and they rest well. The work hard...and they eat well. They travel well....and then they rest well. They work hard some more....and then they play well (i.e., by playing I mean time off....anyone see the

And it's great that that works for them; I'm glad they and you seem to believe so strongly in their methodology. I like the experience I got out of my drum corps. My friend who started with Pioneer, then moved to Blue Stars, then to Madison enjoyed his experience. My friend who marched Revolution and worked his way to Cavaliers loved his time in drum corps.

Why is it your place to say the Blue Devils' approach is "best"? What measure gives that firm of an evaluation OTHER than championships. So although you have not stated, verbatim "winning is all that matters," your vehemence that BD's method is the ONLY right way to approach the activity says just that.

Lets face it, it's unhealthy to approach this activity the way most people approach it.

Why? I loved working my butt off all day every day. It was awesome.

It's not normal in the real world to work 2 months straight without a day off.

It's also not normal to run around with instruments and flags, but we do it anyways.

Granted, some people do (and unfortunately that's due to how screwed up things in this economy and society in general have gotten...but that's for another thread in another forum). Still, it's not normal and not healthy.

Still waiting for the "why" here. Also, I work my butt off at my job, including most weekends, and I love it. I wouldn't trade my job for any other in the world. It's awesome.

The human body needs at least one day off per week to re-gain strength. Frankly (get ready to red minus me with this one), I think a huge number of corps in this activity (like, probably a majority) are completely stupid, insane and abusive for having ONE....maybe TWO days off (if that) per tour. It's absolutely sick and abusive. Our bodies can't handle it.

No worries- I won't "red neg" you. I'll just feel bad that you seem to have no respect for anything but a group that wins.

What is funny is that my "stupid, insane, abusive" drum corps experience made me WAY healthier, mentally, emotionally, and physically, than any other activity I've ever been involved in. My body handled it just fine. So... speak for yourself on the "our bodies can't handle it."... I guess.

Out of sheer curiosity- did you actually march anywhere? Or is this all from a "theoretical" standpoint. Because that would explain a lot.

And you all thought I was talking about "winning"? No, not at all. All I was doing was pointing out the very interesting coincidence (or is it) that the corps that wins more than any other is the one corps who (and it's obviously common knowledge) has the most balanced blend of work time and down time of any other corps. If you want to make it about "winning", that is of your own accord. I'm just laying the facts out there.

The "coincidence" you've laid out:

BD has an approach.

They win a lot.

Your conclusion is:

BD's approach is the best.

The only possible measure give you that conclusion is if you are measuring "best" by championship trophies.

Conversely, here's my set of facts:

BD has an approach.

They win a lot.

Their members enjoy their experience.

The members of most, if not all, other drum corps enjoy THEIR experience(s)

Here's my conclusion:

A lot of different people enjoy a lot of different things.

• Like 1