Staff changes

I hope you are a world class drill designer to have such a strong opinion. Mitch's drill was what brought the pieces together for Bluecoats and propelled them into the top 6 after spending a lifetime in the purgatory of 12th-7th place. He wrote the first true visual effects and contributed to the first well-thought programs they had ever had. The Troopers only jump into finals since 1986 and Mitch had nothing to do with it? Cavaliers drill contributions from 1992-1994? I think Michael Gaines, one of his students, would beg to disagree with you. Some respect, please.

When the drill designer shows up to a rehearsal for telling a corps that he's sorry for how bad he designed the drill for the season, I think it says something....

Did you see the boxing show?

Of course I did. A drill designer isn't solely responsible for a poorly conceived and/or executed concept. A designer's talent is instantly negated over one show that didn't go over well. What, specifically was incorrect and ineffective about his drill that year? Do you know what requirements were made by the other designers that may have not worked? And they got 6th...hardly the work of a remedial designer not to mention his BOA work that has been trendsetting and taken 1st place. Is Jay Murphy less of a designer because of BD 2005? Or 1987-1993 for that matter?

Unless you are a seasoned adjudicator or a world-class designer yourself, you are hardly qualified to negatively comment on what beat out 30 other designer's work that summer. It was one show, man.

• Like 4

Mitch Rogers and the Cavaliers are a match made in Heaven. He has created some of the most innovative, captivating, and challenging visual programs that have ever graced a performance stage, and I couldn't be more excited to see the what the Cavaliers unparalleled visual tradition will create in the wake of Mitch's guiding light.

I hate to keep bringing these guys up, but some may recall that I referenced the Plymouth-Canton Educational Park's BOA programs from 1998-2001 (and to a certain extent, 2002 as well) to give credence my strong belief in Don Hill's similarly heavenly match with Phantom. This may be an even more apt analogy, though, as the band program at that time was heavily influenced by the Cavaliers through several staff members. The bicycle technique and dot philosophy were both used and even in 2002 Mitch's creative design was really the bread and butter of the PCMB's visual program, which won several BOA Nationals captions during the period as well.

The last time I was this excited to hear about a staff change from the perspective of seeing amazing new material was when it was announced that Don was signing on at Phantom. For me, it's a ten out of ten. It's a very exciting time to be a Cavalier :thumbup:

Edited by HoltonH178
  • Like 5

Both of these gentlemen are very talented with many years of experience; they will be tremendous assets for both corps. Great pickups for Bluecoats and Cavaliers!

Confirmed as of this morning from VERY reliable sources:

Cavaliers: Mitch Rogers

Bluecoats: John Vanderkolff

Edited by Turtle Wax
  • Like 2

Of course I did. A drill designer isn't solely responsible for a poorly conceived and/or executed concept. A designer's talent is instantly negated over one show that didn't go over well. What, specifically was incorrect and ineffective about his drill that year? Do you know what requirements were made by the other designers that may have not worked? And they got 6th...hardly the work of a remedial designer not to mention his BOA work that has been trendsetting and taken 1st place. Is Jay Murphy less of a designer because of BD 2005? Or 1987-1993 for that matter?

Unless you are a seasoned adjudicator or a world-class designer yourself, you are hardly qualified to negatively comment on what beat out 30 other designer's work that summer. It was one show, man.

That was only 1 example. I am very sorry I offended you Mrs. Rogers however I think Hinshaw was a better designer. I do agree both Hill and Rogers are decent BAND designers.

• Like 1

Can someone post a recap here so I don't have to read all 30 pages?

No, you have to read all 30. :tongue: