Staff changes

@84BDSop/Plan9....SO true!!! The Bluecoats seem to be one example of trying on a new shoe too often in hopes of finding a perfect fit. I think they do so too soon and/or knee jerk at small setbacks (usually predicated more on the increased success of another corps talent/design rather than a LACK of success from the Bluecoats in a particular year). Speculation, of course. It seemed Mitch was thrown under the bus in 2008 at the first not great program they'd had with him. It's difficult to not see the parallels in 2011. Not a terrible program but not quite as solid as some other corps that year. One thing I have learned through personal experience is that the designers are the easiest targets. They aren't on the road and tech staff that isn't loyal will point at the dots or the notes first, in many cases. The complaining develops into a parasitic mess.

Some amount of loyalty and commitment to letting a team, as a whole, find its dynamic and stride will produce results over time. Cadets, BD, Crown, good examples. They produce some shows that can't win some years, but there is rarely speculation that they would shop around for a better horse.

What do I know, though? I can't imagine the pressure on admin staff from staff, students, alums, donors....

Blue Stars are revamping their entire design and instructional staff it seems:

http://www.bluestars...hp?story_id=663

-It sounds like Frank Sullivan left, but will still serve a small part in the staff.

-Aungst and Larrivee are leaving, but reasons unknown.

-Visual caption head and brass caption head also mentioned as leaving.

-And it sounds like there will not be drill by Myron Rosander again. He seems to be a "one and done" writer nowadays, and I am beginning to see why...

Could be a great thing for this organization to have a fresh staff, under the direction of the same corps executive director for a long time running (Brad Furlano). He should have an idea of things that work and things that don't by now.

Interested to see who they pick up.

And I believe next year they will have new uniforms, so goodbye grey, hello new(blue?)

Edited by MarchandPlay

Could be a great thing for this organization to have a fresh staff, under the direction of the same corps executive director for a long time running (Brad Furlano). He should have an idea of things that work and things that don't by now.

I am very interested. Although I have loved Frank's brass books since about 2008, last year's whole production had clear issues (although I still think it was finals-worthy).

I hope their brass can get their mojo back.

And I wonder what's going on with Guard- I didn't see any mention of Michael Shapiro, so maybe he's staying?

• Like 1

And I wonder what's going on with Guard- I didn't see any mention of Michael Shapiro, so maybe he's staying?

My guess is yes. I couldn't see Shapiro leaving without the directors acknowledging the amazing work he has done since he was introduced a few years back.

Edited by MarchandPlay
  • Like 1

The Blue Stars are already turning into a completely different corps, the loss of the percussion caption heads and the brass arranger will be a huge hit.... I really hope they can get some solid staff in there. I don't see Blue Stars making finals if they can't get something comparable to what they have had in the past. It's so sad to see a corps go from 8th to 13th in 2 years....

-It sounds like Frank Sullivan left, but will still serve a small part in the staff.

-And it sounds like there will not be drill by Myron Rosander again. He seems to be a "one and done" writer nowadays, and I am beginning to see why...

And I believe next year they will have new uniforms, so goodbye grey, hello new(blue?)

Glad you have a positive spin on it. But honestly losing some of the BEST in the business on the heels of year they didn't make finals is a bit scary.

Shame the success of 08 09 10 hasn't taken them further! A rebuilding year in store for them for sure.

• Like 1

This makes me nervous. :shutup: Hope they pick up some great staff.

I thought it should be mentioned that all corps should take notes from Brad Furlano on how to handle a staff change announcement. I don't know who is going to replace the departing staff, but as long as a member of the Furlano family is in charge, I have confidence that the Blue Stars will be fine.

Z

• Like 7

Strong source confirming that Michael Shapiro is staying at Blue Stars. The remainder of the design team is new and already in-place. Unconfirmed but the word is that Tim Fairbanks will be on drill and Richard Saucedo will arrange the brass book. Haven't heard anything about percussion or program coordinator yet. I can't confirm any of this directly but it sounds credible. If it's true I think this is a VERY strong team.

Edited by 92dci
  • Like 1