Can Phantom get ANY love?!?!

It was a very good show, and they have a great success rate at doing storylines similar to this, so shouldn't have been too surprising. They also have a good record of climbing the ranks during finals week, so while I had hoped they stayed in 4th (Cadets in 3rd), I'm not surprised at all. I AM a little surprised they went from tied with Cadets to a point and a half over, but it is what it is, and big props to them.

• Like 1

The fact that this is even a topic completely BAFFLES me. If there are any two corps that have this boards undivided attention, it's phantom and crown.

Stop being a cry baby.

Do you think that was really necessary?

don't mind him. He is a cavalier FMM that is bitter that PR won in 08, as we learned from another thread. :tongue:

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1

This, as well as many times over the last 30 plus year, Phantom was my favorite show! :worthy:

I love that the all female guard was 2nd on Saturday. Especially after all the talk the last two years, after Phantom chose to go back to an all female guard, that they couldn't be competative; you HAD to include males. :thumbup:

Edited by shawn craig

I'm a huge Phantom Phan and really loved their show this year....so I hate to even go in this direction. But there has been some pretty strong debate regarding the whole Rennick/Gwaltney change. I'm in the camp that doesn't feel that a change in caption head should necessarily equal 2 back to back 7th place seasons, but many feel otherwise. It is interesting though that in this case staff changes equaled a positive for the corps. Hopefully next year the percussion scores will at least be more competitive so that they can make a serious challenge for the gold.

Either way 2012 was a great year and a solid program that was appreciated by most, if not all fans.

Rennick's PR lines from 2003-2010 finished like this:

2003 - 5th, 19.0

2004 - 5th, 18.65

2005 - 2nd, 19.35

2006 - 1st, 19.7

2007 - 2nd, 19.6

2008 - 1st, 19.85

2009 - 5th, 18.7

2010 - 1st, 19.6

Gwaltney's PR lines from 2011-2012 finished like this:

2011 - 7th, 18.5

2012 - 7th, 18.6

When you compare the first two seasons at PR for each, they are not all that different. Also, you have to consider show source music and what can be done with it as far as writing the parts. Gwaltney's line this year finished only .5 away from Rennick's highly regarded line - thats only a .25 difference in effect on the final score. The top drumlines were really good this year. Rennick was able to take the talent with him when he left, which was a factor as well. I think Gwaltney deserves a chance to develop his line and his arrangements to fit PR. Rennick was in a good place with the drumline at PR by the third year, winning the title in the fourth year.

• Like 1

Rennick's PR lines from 2003-2010 finished like this:

2003 - 5th, 19.0

2004 - 5th, 18.65

2005 - 2nd, 19.35

2006 - 1st, 19.7

2007 - 2nd, 19.6

2008 - 1st, 19.85

2009 - 5th, 18.7

2010 - 1st, 19.6

Gwaltney's PR lines from 2011-2012 finished like this:

2011 - 7th, 18.5

2012 - 7th, 18.6

When you compare the first two seasons at PR for each, they are not all that different. Also, you have to consider show source music and what can be done with it as far as writing the parts. Gwaltney's line this year finished only .5 away from Rennick's highly regarded line - thats only a .25 difference in effect on the final score. The top drumlines were really good this year. Rennick was able to take the talent with him when he left, which was a factor as well. I think Gwaltney deserves a chance to develop his line and his arrangements to fit PR. Rennick was in a good place with the drumline at PR by the third year, winning the title in the fourth year.

Are you saying that the sky isn't falling and all that people need to remember is that it takes time?!?! *gasps in shock!*

He'll be fine. The FE needs to bring it next year though with their book. Now, I'm trying to remember how many age-outs there were in this year's line. I know for sure that ALL the basses are gone, maybe there were only three(?) in the snare line, one tenor, and then four in the pit?

Phantom was crazy, incredible good this year. ****LOVED**** this show. They brought it! You know, what is funny is when I saw my son (BD member) in San Antonio, I hugged him goodbye and whispered in his ear "Honey, the corps you REALLY need to watch out for is PR." The intensity in this group was palpable. So much respect and love from me!!!!

• Like 1

Well, there was some skepticism regarding whether the show would "peak too early" in the season, and plenty of preseason ranking predictions had PR out of the top 3, maybe even out of top 5 (which is understandable due to their past few placements and the staff changes). Phantom Regiment surely proved us wrong this season. smile.gif