"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

I will start off by saying that I am a traditionalist. I like the activity unplugged with G-Bugles.

Now that I have that out of the way, The changes in DCI have uncovered different ways for groups to perform and expand the activity. George Zingali broke ground in the way we marched and changed the activity. Introduction of Multi-valve instruments opened these arts to more technically challenging music. Introduction of Multi-key expanded that evolution a little further. The introduction of Amplification put a new texture and element on the field that could be quite useful. The Introduction of electronic instruments has expanded on the use of amplification. WGI has brought new ideas of movement much like that of Zingali. Percussion is also expanding by leaps and bounds.

Now I will throw out the question. Why are there boundaries and limitations? Now is the time to get rid of them completely and watch what happens. There is no reason woodwinds and strings should not be allowed on the field. There is no reason that Lights, Lasers, and Video Projection should not be allowed. There is no reason that Animals, mechanical prop and even jet packs should not be allowed on the field. There should be no limitation is size and numbers of each corps - that should be determined by the show. The only limitation I see that is need is the time on the field - Time getting on - and time getting off.

No Holds Barred Cage match to the finish.

This could end ALL the controversy and truly expand the ART in leaps and bounds. It also opens a door for traditionalist to truly explore "tradition". Through deconstruction, each corps could ultimately find it's correct path. Traditional corps would stand out as innovators much like post-modern artist. SO OLD IT IS NEW.

A proposal like this could either destroy DCI or divide DCI into categories in which all the fans could enjoy. Yes there would be issues in judging, but there would need to be recognition for each corps for who they are. There would need to be "Outstanding Entertainment", "Outstanding Innovation", "Outstanding tradition" awards that push the activity to grow in all directions - There is not just one path and those who take the path least traveled could definitely have a chance to STAND OUT.

This may be the only way to truly define what the future of DCI is.

• Like 5

A quick analogy for everyone:

A novice painter is confused by all the choices in color and mediums

A good painter has chose his medium but is still exploring all the colors

A great painter has a large palette of well chosen colors and knows the medium well.

A master painter uses a minimal palette and each stroke of paint is determined before ever touching the canvas.

• Like 3

For anyone reading this...no, that is not my second DCP Id. :thumbup:

id... looks like an L on my phone and computer. That is defined as "cAPITAL pUNISHMENT" in typography. :lookaround:

. There is no reason woodwinds and strings should not be allowed on the field. There is no reason that Lights, Lasers, and Video Projection should not be allowed. There is no reason that Animals, mechanical prop and even jet packs should not be allowed on the field. There should be no limitation is size and numbers of each corps - that should be determined by the show. The only limitation I see that is need is the time on the field - Time getting on - and time getting off

My guess, this was sarcasm. If you are serious, Woodwinds were proposed by a Couple of Corps Directors, but it was concluded they could not receive the majority suppport of membership in order to have it pass, so it was dropped. Woodwinds are also expensive and on tour the repair work required could be very costly, so its probably not practical. Animals useage is out as Animal Rights Activists would dial up their lawyers, and DCI would be sued for mistreatment, or some other issue that PETA might find offensive to them, so thats not going to happen. Lights and Lasers are interesting. I could see this happening, but day shows would nor be as effective as the use of them at night. But nobody has introduced them yet as possible consideration for passage. Jet packs have possible liability issues at play and might increase Corps Insurance costs so from a practical matter are probably not doable. So unfortunately, it seems to me we won't be seeing woodwinds, lasers, animals, jet packs, etc in Drum Corps show any time soon as you are proposing here.

The OP has to be the stupidest one ever on DCP --- and that's saying something. I don't see how you can call yourself a traditionalist and basically want no rules for the activity. I'm hoping you're being sarcastic but I fear you're not. There would be no "either or" whether this would destroy drum corps or not --- IT WOULD!!! I think you should hop on one of those jet packs you mentioned and go find another pastime to ruin.

8/15 Edit: I was just informed that OP means Original Poster and not Post. I meant to refer only to the intelligence of the idea and not the person, and did not mean it to be a personal attack of any sort. Sorry if it was interpteted that way.

Edited by joelw19
  • Like 1

My guess, this was sarcasm. If you are serious, Woodwinds were proposed by a Couple of Corps Directors, but it was concluded they could not receive the majority suppport of membership in order to have it pass, so it was dropped. Woodwinds are also expensive and on tour the repair work required could be very costly, so its probably not practical. Animals useage is out as Animal Rights Activists would dial up their lawyers, and DCI would be sued for mistreatment, or some other issue that PETA might find offensive to them, so thats not going to happen. Lights and Lasers are interesting. I could see this happening, but day shows would nor be as effective as the use of them at night. But nobody has introduced them yet as possible consideration for passage. Jet packs have possible liability issues at play and might increase Corps Insurance costs so from a practical matter are probably not doable. So unfortunately, it seems to me we won't be seeing woodwinds, lasers, animals, jet packs, etc in Drum Corps show any time soon as you are proposing here.

It was part sarcasm from me and knowing my stance. But in reality, why not? If anything goes - make it anything goes.

I understand your practical explanation of why the corps should not march the woodwinds. I also say that this is the corps financial responsibility if they take that route.

I did use extremes for the sake of using extremes. Getting our mind out of the corps box and putting it out there for ANY and ALL extreme show possibilities. Make the corps choices - corps responsibilities. I was not stating that we NEED animals and jet packs, that is extreme. What I am stating is open up the gamut of possibilities to see what happens.

Those extreme possibilities should be the responsibility of the corps and if they do something outside the conforms of society. Society will come down on that corps - not DCI.

You took many of my examples very literally - that was not the point. The point is that we may not know the extremes that can be pushed and the corps that can afford it should be given the opportunity to explore and either succeed or fail.

Though I would enjoy seeing monkeys on stilts playing bongo drums.

The OP has to be the stupidest one ever on DCP --- and that's saying something. I don't see how you can call yourself a traditionalist and basically want no rules for the activity. I'm hoping you're being sarcastic but I fear you're not. There would be no no "either or" whether this would destroy drum corps or not --- IT WOULD!!! I think you should hop on one of those jet packs you mentioned and go find another pastime to ruin.

The idea of DADA broke down the traditional boundaries of art. This is a historical fact. Art has survived and grown. The 20th century of art changed like no other due to the break down of the barriers. At this point in time, art is starting to reflect back and revisit the old ways. This combined with what is new is creating new and exciting art.

I will not let this turn into a BD/DADA debate because that is not the point of this post. I appreciate the BD show and it opened my eyes to what might need to happen in DCI.

I am just saying OPEN YOUR eyes. Either it will be slow and painful change or make it quick and painless.

The strong will survive and Drum Corps will go on - Maybe even with Bugles.

Woodwinds were proposed by a Couple of Corps Directors, but it was concluded they could not receive the majority support of membership in order to have it pass, so it was dropped.

Majority of Support

This is another reason to knock all the boundaries down. If those directors wanted to try it - LET THEM. If they FAIL - LET THEM. If they succeed - GREAT.

If a kid burns his hand on the stove he has learned not to touch the stove.

• Like 1