"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

The OP has to be the stupidest one ever on DCP --- and that's saying something. I don't see how you can call yourself a traditionalist and basically want no rules for the activity. I'm hoping you're being sarcastic but I fear you're not. There would be no "either or" whether this would destroy drum corps or not --- IT WOULD!!! I think you should hop on one of those jet packs you mentioned and go find another pastime to ruin.

Wow calling someone stupid is.....stupid. But saying these ideas would destroy drum corps. Lets see, we have dancing color guard, no color presentation, No G bugles...no bugles at all really. Grounded timps and mallets, themed shows, should I go on. Someone that seen a show in 1970 might not recgonize todays show as "drum corps".

I figure it like this, if you're gonna change go all the way. Blue Devils as shown the direction of the activity and they win doing it. While I actually feel asleep watching thier show people seem to love it. So lets take it to the next level. As long as you feed the animals and treat them right no one should have an issue. You can change the color of lasers to make them more visible during the day. Pyrotechnics would add quite a bit to some shows so get some balls and do it.

BUT DON'T THINK I'LL BE AROUND TO "ENJOY" THE NEW STYLE OF DRUM CORPS.

• Like 2

A quick analogy for everyone:

A novice painter is confused by all the choices in color and mediums

A good painter has chose his medium but is still exploring all the colors

A great painter has a large palette of well chosen colors and knows the medium well.

A master painter uses a minimal palette and each stroke of paint is determined before ever touching the canvas.

Master Painter: Can paint a two bedroom apartment in 1 day. 2 coats!

• Like 3

The idea of DADA broke down the traditional boundaries of art. This is a historical fact. Art has survived and grown. The 20th century of art changed like no other due to the break down of the barriers. At this point in time, art is starting to reflect back and revisit the old ways. This combined with what is new is creating new and exciting art.

I will not let this turn into a BD/DADA debate because that is not the point of this post. I appreciate the BD show and it opened my eyes to what might need to happen in DCI.

I am just saying OPEN YOUR eyes. Either it will be slow and painful change or make it quick and painless.

The strong will survive and Drum Corps will go on - Maybe even with Bugles.

Just saying --- I never mentioned anything about BD or DADA in my post. YOU DID. I also appreciate the BD show for it's quality but is it the direction we want drum corps to go in? I think we both can agree it's not.

Wow calling someone stupid is.....stupid. But saying these ideas would destroy drum corps. Lets see, we have dancing color guard, no color presentation, No G bugles...no bugles at all really. Grounded timps and mallets, themed shows, should I go on. Someone that seen a show in 1970 might not recgonize todays show as "drum corps".

I figure it like this, if you're gonna change go all the way. Blue Devils as shown the direction of the activity and they win doing it. While I actually feel asleep watching thier show people seem to love it. So lets take it to the next level. As long as you feed the animals and treat them right no one should have an issue. You can change the color of lasers to make them more visible during the day. Pyrotechnics would add quite a bit to some shows so get some balls and do it.

I didn't call anyone stupid. I said his post was. Saying a certain idea is stupid is a criticism of that thought, not a criticism of the person who made it.

You took many of my examples very literally - that was not the point. The point is that we may not know the extremes that can be pushed and the corps that can afford it should be given the opportunity to explore and either succeed or fail.

I've suggested that DCI have 2 Divisions : a) Traditional and b) Avarde Garde.

The Traditional Division would not be against any and all changes, but its membership would principally relie on the tied and true instrumentation used historically with success. Its judging would reflect tried and true standards. Shows would be understood to reward audience accessibilty on the scoring sheets in this particular division, but performance and execution of the shows above all else would be determinative of the most points awarded in competition. But no Corps could be expected to win or place highly without the noticeable engagement of the audience with their shows in this Division.

The Avarde Garde Division would allow into competition whatever instrumentation this Division membership wanted to include. Innovation and creativity would be increased and rewarded on the judging sheets in this division. Accessibilty to general paying sudiences would be a complete non factor on the scoring sheets in this division. Performance and execution, similar to the Traditional Division in this respect however, would still be most determinative on scores and placements.

Corps would announce each year beforehand, wshich Division they intended to compete in, and prospective campers would know and choose accordingly. Corps could switch Divisions from year to year as well. Shows could have a few Corps from each division. Yes, its true, fewer fans might stick around for the Avarde Garde segment at local shows, but these Corps and marchers don't have as their priority the audience anyway, so its a non issue. Plus, don't assume that the Avarde Garde Division won't have curious and sufficient fans to watch their shows. They just might. The Traditional Division would retain their fan base, and might even secure fans from the Avarde Garde Division as they might find that in time the shows in this Division a little too strange for them in the long run. And likewise, fans of the Traditional Division might decide on occasion they want something " different ". So there could be an overlap that benefits both Divisions. Such a 2 Division format is by no means a perfect solution, but it might be a way to keep more people happy... more Corps happy... more staffs happy... and make the job of judges a liitle easier too. Corps competing in the correct division could be rewarded on the judging sheets in that division for that season what they value most, ie the audience responses, or pushing the envelope in creativity, innovation.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 4

EXACTLY.

This is not proposing something DCI has not already done. It is just proposing that they should have those pyrotechnic balls and get out of the way.

CORPS need to be able to explore tradition as well as innovative exploration. This is the key. Today is only about INNOVATION. This one sided philosophy is the point in which it is broken.

Actually, I've come around to the idea that we should indeed open the floodgates. My only stipulation would be to keep the member limit the same. Be as creative as you like - as long as you can do it with 150 kids. Throw in woodwinds (though I doubt you'd hear them as anything but solo instruments), choirs (actually, I think this would be brilliant for a few reasons), lighting, pyrotechnics... the kitchen sink. Just limit how many folks can be doing it.

Though I'd also prefer to see a new top division created with these rules, and only that top division.

Mike

• Like 2

Actually, I've come around to the idea that we should indeed open the floodgates. My only stipulation would be to keep the member limit the same. Be as creative as you like - as long as you can do it with 150 kids. Throw in woodwinds (though I doubt you'd hear them as anything but solo instruments), choirs (actually, I think this would be brilliant for a few reasons), lighting, pyrotechnics... the kitchen sink. Just limit how many folks can be doing it.

Though I'd also prefer to see a new top division created with these rules, and only that top division.

Mike

I'm trying to wrap myself around DCI 2012 and looking forward into 2013.

But what you suggest here would be a bridge too far for me. Way too far.

I've suggested that DCI have 2 Divisions : a) Traditional and b) Avarde Garde.

I like this approach but believe that the performances do need to happen together. Playing together will seperate the men from the boys. I also believe that if a traditional corps needs a "splash" of innovation for the sake of the show - they are now allowed to.

The more traditional some corps would go - they would take it to the extreme and not want those splashes of innovation. The would want to be purest because that defines their brand.

As for proclaiming your intent each year, I am not sure I see the need but I can see the merits of both sides.

There should be a way to judge ALL of this together.