"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

Sir: I congratulate you, as now Webster's has access to a remarkable redefinition of "traditionalist".

It reminds me of one time when a beloved local historic building was threatened with demolition, and a man jumped up at the meeting, called himself a "staunch preservationist" and as such he insisted ... he demanded! ... that the building in question be thoroughly photographed before it was to be razed.

True story.

I am also a realist. My tradition is different than yours. I also see that people need to work together.

Would I like to see a true "Traditional" 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s corps on the field? Yes I would, would they compete straight up with today - NO.

Do I like a 57 chevy? Yes, but I realize the drum brakes are junk.

Would I try to preserve the building you mention - I WOULD. But I would also update the insulation, electrical, plumbing and heating and air. I would not tear down the past but there is no reason not to update - BLENDING THE OLD AND THE NEW.

I realize(d) this but still believe that the animals are running the zoo (just my opinion). Here is a big question with this being said and seeing that we pay the bills in this democratic system.

WHO REPRESENTS US - THE FAN?

What are you proposing... a union ?

We all individually vote with our feet and our wallets. If we like something we support it. If we don't we move on. Its as simple as that.As fans, the only skin we have in the game is on the bottom of our soles. So far, theres been enough out there in DCI for me to remain engaged and involved at some level.Others no doubt decide this for themselves.

The new judging sheets DCI has implemented are not about to change for many years now.. and we don't appear to want a Traditional Division and an Avant Garde Division created, so thats that, and what else needs to be said on this topic anymore that hasn't already been said ?

Edited by BRASSO

Its been voted down. Now what do we do ?

Mason's " Entertainment Caption " proposal lost. Should he make his brass charts artsy fartsy chop and bop,.mostly unrecognizable music now to try and move his Corps up ?

Or punt the ball ? What do they do ? You tell me, as the judging sheets are not changing now that these new ones have been implemented and the judges are all the same faces. If you don't support a 2 Division Traditional Division and Avant Garde Division then what we have now is what we'll have again and again. You agree ?.... or not ?

Mason should push and fight and make it loud and clear with WHY he wants this. He should back it up with 100s or even 1000s of letters from fans to show why they need this. He could back it with threads like this one and all the "Open Letters". Using shear numbers to prove his point.

I also believe the fan should have a vote. The new and wonderful power of the internet could be a way to give us a vote.

We all individually vote with our feet and our wallets. If we like something we support it. If we don't we move on. Its as simple as that.As fans, the only skin we have in the game is on the bottom of our soles. So far, theres been enough out there in DCI for me to remain engaged and involved at some level.

Not a union... trust me on that.

When a vote comes up, they can post it online and get a proposal vote from the entire general public. The results of that vote would equal yeah or nay. A basic public opinion poll - not rocket science.

We all individually vote with our feet and our wallets. If we like something we support it. If we don't we move on. Its as simple as that.As fans, the only skin we have in the game is on the bottom of our soles. So far, theres been enough out there in DCI for me to remain engaged and involved at some level.Others no doubt decide this for themselves.

The new judging sheets DCI has implemented are not about to change for many years now.. and we don't appear to want a Traditional Division and an Avant Garde Division created, so thats that, and what else needs to be said on this topic anymore that hasn't already been said ?

AND WALKING AWAY DOES NOT WORK... trust me, I tried it.

True story.

We used to have "Drum and Bugle Corps".

I could propose that we change the name of DCI but BOA is taken.

Sir: I congratulate you, as now Webster's has access to a remarkable redefinition of "traditionalist".

It reminds me of one time when a beloved local historic building was threatened with demolition, and a man jumped up at the meeting, called himself a "staunch preservationist" and as such he insisted ... he demanded! ... that the building in question be thoroughly photographed before it was to be razed.

True story.

• Like 2

True story.

We used to have "Drum and Bugle Corps".

I could propose that we change the name of DCI but BOA is taken.

Here's a question Kevin......Have you been to a Rock Concert within the last 20 years? If so, you will recognize that the productions (lighting, pyrotechnics, dancers and diamond screens) are pretty much normal. Evidently, the fans like them and believe it adds to the entertainment experience....in fact, those things might be considered requirements now. I'm an old fart and saw The Who, Janis and the Dead live back when they were projected by big amps...period! Was it better?..let's just say I didn't much care as it was a happening, but if you weren't in the first 20 rows you didn't really get the full effect. DC is exploring ways of bringing the experience closer to the fans and doing their damnedest to honor tradition. We need to give them some room....and I don't mean an empty room! :rolleyes:

Here's a question Kevin......Have you been to a Rock Concert within the last 20 years? If so, you will recognize that the productions (lighting, pyrotechnics, dancers and diamond screens) are pretty much normal. Evidently, the fans like them and believe it adds to the entertainment experience....in fact, those things might be considered requirements now. I'm an old fart and saw The Who, Janis and the Dead live back when they were projected by big amps...period! Was it better?..let's just say I didn't much care as it was a happening, but if you weren't in the first 20 rows you didn't really get the full effect. DC is exploring ways of bringing the experience closer to the fans and doing their damnedest to honor tradition. We need to give them some room....and I don't mean an empty room! :rolleyes:

actually I have. I have been to shows with both extremes and actually the lower budget shows show more creative genius. Workin with nothing makes you think outside the box.

I love both shows, but i would expect to see something I've never seen at a low budget rock show.

I might be tainted because I do deal with audio visual daily and I love the true creative moments that come from nowhere.

I've seen it happens more - the less budget you have.

I always think back to the helicopter fly over 1991 SCV.

They have my vote to have ALL the room they need but like rock-n-roll- they need to play a blues riff every once and a while and many of the new guys are playing old hallow body gibsons.

Edited by Kevin Powell

actually I have. I have been to shows with both extremes and actually the lower budget shows show more creative genius. Workin with nothing makes you think outside the box.

I love both shows, but i would expect to see something I've never seen at a low budget rock show.

I might be tainted because I do deal with audio visual daily and I love the true creative moments that come from nowhere.

I've seen it happens more - the less budget you have.

And I am in your camp, for sure on this....but us purists can be judgmental and do #### like...boo Bob Dylan when he went electric! Yikes!!! Then he went on to create some of the most beautiful and transcendent music ever made! It just required an open mind. I say, let the DC designers explore presentation...and like a good piece of fish..it may have a few bones..but you just put them aside and keep eating!