"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

And I am in your camp, for sure on this....but us purists can be judgmental and do #### like...boo Bob Dylan when he went electric! Yikes!!! Then he went on to create some of the most beautiful and transcendent music ever made! It just required an open mind. I say, let the DC designers explore presentation...and like a good piece of fish..it may have a few bones..but you just put them aside and keep eating!

OPEN MIND... two very wonderful creative words.

That piece of fish might be perfect two ways. Served minimally grilled with salt pepper and a squeeze of lemon OR pan seared with a bunch of strange exotic fruits and vegetables served flaming with a side of pan roasted ducks liver.

I always think back to the helicopter fly over 1991 SCV.

They also had the soldiers marching sound effect w/ the wood block contraption where there were a bunch of blocks suspended from a frame and it was "marched" on a board...

In all seriousness, what are the odds that today if someone did that it would be via a sound clip/patch?

• Like 1

They also had the soldiers marching sound effect w/ the wood block contraption where there were a bunch of blocks suspended from a frame and it was "marched" on a board...

In all seriousness, what are the odds that today if someone did that it would be via a sound clip/patch?

why think outside the box and WOW when it is easier to plug and play?

That was not the best show but it does nave those WOW moments. I watched it every night I could while on tour. That show proved to me that less can be more.

Edited by Kevin Powell

I also have a special place in my heart for that SCV show. The summer before, my corps director introduced me to Gail Royer. The next summer Gail came up to me standing on the sideline watching his show. He remembered my name and said "Kevin, are you having fun?" From that night on we would talk like long time friends.

In many of these discussions about todays DCI, I try to think back and reflect if Gail would still be proud of ALL the shows. I am not sure if he would.

So which is truly creative, and which is pushing the "easy" button?

So which is truly creative, and which is pushing the "easy" button?

I would say "Old School" gets a point on this one.

These days, full-on "traditional" drum and bugle corps would be truly innovative.

it would definitely shock people and bring them to their feet.

Correct. As you and I'm sure others are aware, Madison Scouts Brass Arranger ( and the theatre " BLAST " co originator ) James Mason submitted a proposal at the last Winters DCI Meeting to include a new " Entertainment Caption " onto the new judging sheets, but it was rejected as it did not have the votes neccessary for passage. You are correct that sometimes changes take time before others are on board with new ideas and proposals. Maybe this proposal ( like the A&E proposal of years ago ) will eventually find its way into approval at some future date, Mike.

It may, if they keep trying. If it does...great...f not...also fine by me. I want the corps to create the environment they wish to compete in.