"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

... That way, we can preserve the tradition (and allow the dinos to have shows they like ... they can skip the other half), and foster innovation and creativity.

Thank you and all your oh-so-innovative/creative brethren/sistren for once again labeling your Golden Age pioneers as "dinos" and reinforcing my beliefs that your activity and only your activity dismisses its great early pioneers as nothing more than cheap jokes.

We're not offended, really, as we Dinos have epithets for your side, too but there'd be so many automated Xes they'd be unreadable. However, feel free to guess what some of those might be.

What have today's ever-so-gifted innovation/creativity-Enlightened Ones done with the mantle they donned forty years ago with the 500+ drum and bugle corps they became stewards of? Where are they, and what of today's green kids that nobody wants anymore who we Dinos used to recruit and teach for free to get them involved in what was then a nationally-respected activity for all?

Go ahead, think of a smart reply. The Dinos won't care; they're not here or anywhere near, probably a good thing for both factions.

"My Heart Belongs to Da-Da"

• Like 3

Thank you and all your oh-so-innovative/creative brethren/sistren for once again labeling your Golden Age pioneers as "dinos" and reinforcing my beliefs that your activity and only your activity dismisses its great early pioneers as nothing more than cheap jokes.

We're not offended, really, as we Dinos have epithets for your side, too but there'd be so many automated Xes they'd be unreadable. However, feel free to guess what some of those might be.

What have today's ever-so-gifted innovation/creativity-Enlightened Ones done with the mantle they donned forty years ago with the 500+ drum and bugle corps they became stewards of? Where are they, and what of today's green kids that nobody wants anymore who we Dinos used to recruit and teach for free to get them involved in what was then a nationally-respected activity for all?

Go ahead, think of a smart reply. The Dinos won't care; they're not here or anywhere near, probably a good thing for both factions.

"My Heart Belongs to Da-Da"

What we have found out here is that most of us are dinos. If not today, we will be tomorrow. Every legacy shall pass but there will be a legacy nonetheless. How strong will your legacy be determined to mine? Who is to say? When you say it - Say it loud and with confidence. You did - the bold type is clear.

The word, the word, the word outside your domain, your stuffiness, this laughable impotence, your stupendous smugness, outside all the parrotry of your self-evident limitedness. The word, gentlemen, is a public concern of the first importance.

Welcome to DADA my friend.

• Like 1

Meh...

I refer to myself as a Dino regularly. Easier to type than "legacy fan of an undisclosed age, reduced mobility and dubious mental agility"....

Besides, what's the toughest animal we have today? Grizzly bear? Siberian Tiger? Try putting one of those up against a T-Rex and see how long it lasts!

It's just a word. I actually kinda like it.

Meh...

I refer to myself as a Dino regularly. Easier to type than "legacy fan of an undisclosed age, reduced mobility and dubious mental agility"....

Besides, what's the toughest animal we have today? Grizzly bear? Siberian Tiger? Try putting one of those up against a T-Rex and see how long it lasts!

It's just a word. I actually kinda like it.

AMEN Grandpa...

But only because he chooses a minimal palette. Not because it is forced on him.

He chooses the minimal palette because he knows there is no need to go any further.

In the drawer he has every color to choose from but he only chooses the six he needs.

a perfect triad plus burnt sienna to bring in the earth, maybe a little white and black for contrast.

the key is knowing how/when to use the toys that works, not just because you can.

and when it comes to electronics usage in DCI, that certainly isn't the case

THIS... This is the entire point.

GIVE them ALL the toys. There is no need anymore to restrict anything. BUT JUDGE Fairly, Give credit when credit is due.

Go ahead, think of a smart reply. The Dinos won't care; they're not here or anywhere near, probably a good thing for both factions.[/b]

Lots dinos are around drum corps these days...having started in 1964, I'd say that I qualify as a dino, yet I love what corps do today, as much as ever.

well that would be a judging issue then...seems their the ones that need to get their xxxx together but corps still should control their own choices...maybe if it were finally figured out how to approach this less would use the electronics or many would be do it better

sure it's an issue. and if you raise the issue, you get protested. if you get protested enough you don't get work.

so why raise the issue?

The same guy I think it is?

Part of the problem might be that electronics are danced around on the sheets, IIRC, Jeff. They seem to be avoided there.

Another issue. Who gets to jump in and give the corps the pimp hand when it's poor and in what captions? Accusations could fly that "YOU'RE JUDGING OUT OF CAPTION!!!!!" You know the game. You know many people like to stick the index finger out like a pistol and yell that when they can. :satisfied:

Yet another issue. You may have the argument "Oh, come on, Jeff, You've dumped us over something electronic involving one person or a very few people running it and it's such a teeny-tiny facet of out most wonderful program and you penalized the whole corps of kind, sweet, deserving, hard working young people! It's just one teeny tiny eensy beensy failure! Why take it out on us!? You got something against us!?"

Have I sat in on too many critiques on both sides of the table or not? :tongue:

I think that might be why people are avoiding it, Jeff. They want to avoid the acrimony after the contest over it. It may not be worth it to them. Just kinda thinkin' here about it is all. :satisfied:

well, it's tough to put it on the sheets....not everyone uses it. you know as well as I do you put it on there, everyone uses it. ( and no, not the guy you're thinking of)

judging out of caption happens a lot. yes there is bleed over, but far too much visual on music tapes, yet rarely any music mentioned on visual tapes. sure on paper the system is 50/50 music to visual, but the commentary is more like 65/35 visual to music.

on GE music who gives a #### about the color of the flag. it's a music sheet