"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

And that "Effect" judgement is completely opinion. I like and understand why we need the caption but it is the BIG HOLE of controversy. Opinions and ########... everyone has one.

All judging is, and always has been, the opinion of the judge about what is being observed visually or heard musically.

This answers my previous question. I thought so but electronics is not completely judged this way. That is an issue.

If and where that does not happen...it would be a judge-training issue. I have not heard tapes of DCI ensemble judges, so I have no way to know if they are making balance comments about electronic instruments.

if referring to electronics balance, I would HOPE it is not being included on the field...really applies to any commentary on balance, not just electronics.

I would consider anything that makes a sound in the ensemble because that is what an ensemble is. Pretty simple, it does not balance - it does not balance.

Why would electronics be outside of any other category of instrument? That is all it is - an instrument.

just trying to wrap my head around what folks are thinking - not harassing you Mike.

I would consider anything that makes a sound in the ensemble because that is what an ensemble is. Pretty simple, it does not balance - it does not balance.

Why would electronics be outside of any other category of instrument? That is all it is - an instrument.

I'm not sure you read what I said in a way I intended...you are 100% correct...any sound should be evaluated by the ensemble judge regarding how it balances within the total sound. OTOH...at the field level, no judge should be making balance comments, whether it is an acoustic instrument, and amplified instrument or an electronic instrument. Balance and blend is the purview of the ensemble judge. There is no need for anything special to be added regarding electronic istruments...it is already covered.

I'm not sure you read what I said in a way I intended...you are 100% correct...any sound should be evaluated by the ensemble judge regarding how it balances within the total sound. OTOH...at the field level, no judge should be making balance comments, whether it is an acoustic instrument, and amplified instrument or an electronic instrument. Balance and blend is the purview of the ensemble judge. There is no need for anything special to be added regarding electronic istruments...it is already covered.

cool.

Another direction on all this.

If you were running the zoo. How would you innovate and think outside the box?

This is throwing traditional thoughts out the window and imagining a direction it could go.

Personally, I would start by blurring the lines between the Guard and the Musicians even more. Thinking that you can almost fill a guard with great musicians, they too can play instruments if needed. The musicians are being taught to dance and move now. I would present them all in the same uniform and write drill that incorporates everyone in larger forms. Basically - removing clutter by reducing groups on the field.

This could do a couple of things. One, the group would appear more unified. Two, the big musical impacts could be played by everyone on the field (adding about a third more musical impact). on the other side, you would do the same by having all the musician using props during breaks.

I would also rethink all flags, rifles and sabers to be more prop oriented. Trying to create BIG shapes, color and texture on the field rather that everyone as individuals. I would experiment with group props rather than individual props.

ALL this would be to provide LARGER dynamics and more contrast in the highs and lows of the show.

This would not help aux scores but it would make people re examine what can be done as an entire GROUP.

Edited by Kevin Powell

All judging is, and always has been, the opinion of the judge about what is being observed visually or heard musically.

True. And there really are two sets of " judges "... A) DCI Judges and B) Audience Judges.

Another direction on all this.

If you were running the zoo. How would you innovate and think outside the box?

This is throwing traditional thoughts out the window and imagining a direction it could go.

Personally, I would start by blurring the lines between the Guard and the Musicians even more. Thinking that you can almost fill a guard with great musicians, they too can play instruments if needed. The musicians are being taught to dance and move now. I would present them all in the same uniform and write drill that incorporates everyone in larger forms. Basically - removing clutter by reducing groups on the field.

This could do a couple of things. One, the group would appear more unified. Two, the big musical impacts could be played by everyone on the field (adding about a third more musical impact). on the other side, you would do the same by having all the musician using props during breaks.

I would also rethink all flags, rifles and sabers to be more prop oriented. Trying to create BIG shapes, color and texture on the field rather that everyone as individuals. I would experiment with group props rather than individual props.

ALL this would be to provide LARGER dynamics and more contrast in the highs and lows of the show.

This would not help aux scores but it would make people re examine what can be done as an entire GROUP.

Dont you remember sometime in the 80s I think Cadets had a very small guard and used many to play some of the show so there were like 80 horns I think.....yeah big sound visual bore