"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

'BRASSO' says: "Right now, there are 5 users on this thread... period. So your quest for " numerous " ANY age group on this thread is sort of silly to begin with."

It was you who had insisted that there are many Golden Age members here, and I posted a trivia quiz with common-knowledge questions to prove my position that there are not. The subsequent silence from people who obviously don't exist speaks volumes.

"I don't do questionaires with people that have litmus tests, especially when their first few posts have been hostile towards others to begin with."

Your sensitivity towards criticism that you interpret as hostility is noted.

"But I know many of the answers to these questions, but your tone is divisive and dismissive of those relatively new to the activity, so I'm not interested in playing this game, but this dino wishes you a pleasant day anyway."

Right, okay. Bottom line: the Golden Age corps veterans, your "dinos", aren't here, and I say they haven't been for a long time.

'BRASSO' says: "Right now, there are 5 users on this thread... period. So your quest for " numerous " ANY age group on this thread is sort of silly to begin with."

It was you who had insisted that there are many Golden Age members here, and I posted a trivia quiz with common-knowledge questions to prove my position that there are not. The subsequent silence from people who obviously don't exist speaks volumes.

What does the lack of Golden Age drum corps enthusiasts in this particular thread prove? Would that prove that Golden Age enthusiasts have given up on drum corps? Or what? You are not clear on your claim, or in what your evidence is exactly, or how your evidence establishes your claim.

"But I know many of the answers to these questions, but your tone is divisive and dismissive of those relatively new to the activity, so I'm not interested in playing this game, but this dino wishes you a pleasant day anyway."

Right, okay. Bottom line: the Golden Age corps veterans, your "dinos", aren't here, and I say they haven't been for a long time.

And once again, Golden Age enthusiasts are NOT the dinos he or anyone else was talking about, although some of them might be. In this thread dinos clearly meant those who don't like the most recent innovations like amplification. That's all. You took offense at absolutely nothing.

This is a fair and balanced approach to the debate and both sides win. We dino's get our corps back, WGI has a place to play in the summer and puppies sleep with kittens.

Back on page 4, Kevin referred to himself as a dino. Why don't you send him a pm if you have an issue with that usage. He'll be just as confused as we are, but at least you'll have the right guy.

Edit: typos

Edited by Pete Freedman

"I don't do questionaires with people that have litmus tests, especially when their first few posts have been hostile towards others to begin with."

People didnt speak because as the OP, I asked them not to. Brasso did respond because he was being called out.. Please give him the respect in how he responded.

Your questionnaire was a litmus test for you to judge us and we are all pretty sure you still use the tick system.

On the flip side... this same debate and discussion has moved on to other places.

I truly love and respect your knowledge, passion and the effort that you are putting out - I just do not like your show. I understand where you stand on the "Golden Age" and think it is awesome. Now, let's take the time and discuss how your knowledge can help. Put some positive in your response because for an activity to last this long and for you to follow it this long - I am sure you have a positive side of drum corps of today

Edited by Kevin Powell

The "dinos" are here... they just happen not to fit your description of "dino". You might be a Spinosaurus and I may be a Velociraptor. Who's to say?

The "dinos" are here... they just happen not to fit your description of "dino". You might be a Spinosaurus and I may be a Velociraptor. Who's to say?

You have a wonderful sense of self deprecating humor, and seem like a very happy and intersting person to have around at a company picnic or family get together. You have a great uplifting positive outlook on life that is refreshing too. And very respectful of others too... even ones that may not agree with you. You also seem to have a very curious mind too, open to new ideas, concepts and things. Its a sign of intelligence to want to understand things better. You possess all these qualities it appears, and I for one am glad you are here to share with us your experiences in Drum Corps and why 1963 Drum Corps is totally wonderful but 2012 Drum Corps totally sucks.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I don't ever want to become a Velcrocraptor Dino. Thats real old and other dinos gotta clean up their mess.

• Like 1

..and the b flat horns too but mainly because you can now play in any key.

You could play in any key in G... ? It is easier to transpose in Bb just because we all started in Bb.

Actually, I walked away from DCI with the introduction of Bb. I saw that one change as the full transition to doing everything the "bands" do. They took the bugle out of drum and bugle corps (which is what I was) so basically they took me out of corps. I did miss some blah years of Drum Corps and a couple of great shows.

This thread is about just that. "The Acceptance". I probably dislike electronics and amps more than the bugle mistake. I cant stand either but THE KIDS ARE STILL HAVING FUN and LEARNING. I see the benefits of Bb financially (even if I miss the Big G sound). There maybe a benefit to electronics. One is "Dr. Beat" is always in the pit now. I did predict the amplification when they introduced Bb - They do not project the same - and I am pretty sure I still hate that as well.

Many of the changes before that from the 70s to the 90s were all judging and standards changes. I am cool with those type of changes because the core backbone of the activity was still there. I miss those corps but I have actually realized that the backbone is still there and it is different than what I thought - It's the kids - not horns or speakers.

• Like 1