Start a corps, save the activity

Several things, My area, Wilmington DE has several very good High School bands. What I want to do is introduce music to those that might not have an interest in school music. I had that chance and it opened up a new world to me. While other kids were listening to ONLY hip-hop I was listening to SCV playing Appalachin Spring and finding my favorite composer. Being able to hold a semi intelligent conversation about Mahler, Bernstein, Brubeck and others all because of drum corps.

While I would love to see a drum corps from Delaware I always see my vision as a group of kids who do parades and have a show designed for a gym. The tour is arranged around appearances at NBA and Indoor football games as well as stops at amusement parks and doing local parades.

But starting a corps in the Delaware Valley is difficult because of the fund raising chances. No bingo because of too many racinos. Also too many non-profits drawing from the same pots. Need to start a good pizza joint and use the profits for a corps.

• Like 1

Several things, My area, Wilmington DE has several very good High School bands. What I want to do is introduce music to those that might not have an interest in school music. I had that chance and it opened up a new world to me. While other kids were listening to ONLY hip-hop I was listening to SCV playing Appalachin Spring and finding my favorite composer. Being able to hold a semi intelligent conversation about Mahler, Bernstein, Brubeck and others all because of drum corps.

While I would love to see a drum corps from Delaware I always see my vision as a group of kids who do parades and have a show designed for a gym. The tour is arranged around appearances at NBA and Indoor football games as well as stops at amusement parks and doing local parades.

But starting a corps in the Delaware Valley is difficult because of the fund raising chances. No bingo because of too many racinos. Also too many non-profits drawing from the same pots. Need to start a good pizza joint and use the profits for a corps.

For a circuit aimed at indoor performance, check out SDCA - http://www.thesdca.org/

Great folks - very helpful and supportive!

Blackstar (Craig): Here is a question to see if you are wanting to support the community drum corps activity in a real and meaningful manner: Are you supporting, with all your might, all your soul, both DCNA and SDCA?

Are you involved with DCNA Stu? If so, how is it going?

Your name is " oldbones ". We could use some " youngbones " to pick up the torch and start up a new Corps somewhere too. Thats how it USED to be done. Those who marched went on to later start up their own Drum Corps in their community. It only takes a vision.. and then a committment with fellow visionaries sharing the same vision to just find a way to make it happen. All these Drum Corps we see today did not just fall down from the sky. They started up with a simple vision by someone or just a handful of people wanting to see what it could be like to build something worthwhile in their communities that could be life altering for some youngsters.

First of all, Blackstar I salute you and your efforts. I hope everything works out the way you want it to. Lord knows there is very little as far as drum corps goes in the entire DE-MD-VA area. Only Surf and Raiders are close enough if any are willing to try out.

Mr. Brasso, I didn't realize I was too old. Maybe just too old to start a drum corps in todays world.

At the meeting I attended, some were young, some were older (like me) some had DC experience some did not. Some had a process and some funding in place, others had a dream but lacked the funds to start the process. The fact is only 1 out of that group has started a small corps. I certainly hope the rest have not given up.

I'm not offended, just asking for a little respect for those who try (young or old).

I tried starting a corps once. Yes, it was a dream (none of grandeur). The start-up budget was for 18 horns, 12 percussion, 5 pit, 12 guard and compete in the Garden State Circuit. No expectations of doing DCI. I had a good business plan and a business to support the corps, just wasn't good enough. I wasn't fortunate to have a bingo, a rich alumni base, or a sugar daddy. Like most directors today, I spent many sleepless nights finding ways to raise the necessary funds to run the corps, right up till the end.

Since you deem me to be too old (my name is oldbones we need more youngbones), I challenge you (Mr Brasso) to do start one yourself.

If you have, I salute you.

You know, many talk the talk, rarely to they walk the walk.

There is no better experience than to dream and try than to dream and not try at all. Unfortunately, not everyone succeeds.

I salute you. I tried something much less ambitious, starting a small Christmas brass ensemble to do some brass caroling. I failed miserably. Tried to get things started on Craigslist and didn't get a nibble of interest.

Craig, have you had the opportunity to contact any Blue Rock alumni in the Wilmington area? I know 7th Regiment up in New London was started by some alumni of the old Surfers junior corps. You might find some willing financial supporters, as well as logistical support, in some drum corps alumni and fans already in place.

Edited by CrunchyTenor

Drum corps were started back in the day as nieghborhood groups to keep kids off the streets. This is needed now more then ever. They need the exposure to travel, positive adults in their life and chance to learn responsiblity. Drum corps can offer this.

It used to, back in the glorious Golden Age of 500+ corps, before the Midwest Combine/DCI artistes hijacked the activity, wrote off the majority of potential young enthusiasts as irrelevant, and concentrated on nationwide recruitment of the best-off, best-educated pretrained youths that could best serve their dreams of high-priced glory at the expense of the once-great activity.

I've been saying this here for a few years, and I understand how it irritates the in-group, mainly because they can't refute it.

But you're one of the few that has caught on about the in-groupers putting the actual mechanics of the activity aside in favor of bettering DCI itself, a philosophy even crazier than that of someone buying a Chevy because they somehow want to better General Motors. It's all part of the definite pack-mentality in this activity that is obvious to outsiders like myself, another reason why you'll rarely see me quoted.

Working with anyone outside of the immediate area is not feasible right now. My goal is to get instruments for the kids along with people to teach music. At least for the first several years marching is out besides parades. The group will be young and very inexperienced and the highlight of the year will be a local concert. Taking one small step at a time.

Starting a corps in todays times are near impossible. Besides the start up cost the ongoing cost without a very steady income places this outside the means of most people. I get 3-4 calls a week asking to donate money. Grant money is getting tighter. Also, as Oldbones pointed out not having an Alumni hurts because theres no built in donation source. I think if we looked back on DCP in the last 5 years of people announced or mentioned starting a corps we would be amazed.

I didn't really want to bring up what I'm doing because I didn't want people thinking I'm starting a corps in Delaware. I'm starting a small music program that may in the next 5-8 years grow into a drum corps.

• Like 1

Working with anyone outside of the immediate area is not feasible right now. My goal is to get instruments for the kids along with people to teach music. At least for the first several years marching is out besides parades. The group will be young and very inexperienced and the highlight of the year will be a local concert. Taking one small step at a time.

Starting a corps in todays times are near impossible. Besides the start up cost the ongoing cost without a very steady income places this outside the means of most people. I get 3-4 calls a week asking to donate money. Grant money is getting tighter. Also, as Oldbones pointed out not having an Alumni hurts because theres no built in donation source. I think if we looked back on DCP in the last 5 years of people announced or mentioned starting a corps we would be amazed.

I didn't really want to bring up what I'm doing because I didn't want people thinking I'm starting a corps in Delaware. I'm starting a small music program that may in the next 5-8 years grow into a drum corps.

In todays economic times, that is probably the best plan one could have. I wish you the best of luck.

Have you checked with some of the districts in the Delaware area that have suspended their music program to see if they have any instruments to rent? How about approaching a couple of the school districts that may have suspended their elementary and Middle School programs and asking if they would like your "INDEPENDENT" services. The only cost is the usage of whatever instruments they have? Just thinking a little outside the box.