What does BDs’ victory really mean?

Yes they are versatile. But I can't agree with the snippet I have quoted. They are very clean, yes, but from a content standpoint, I have to say that Michael Shapiro's guard does more, if not the most in DCI. At the moment, that is Blue Stars, I believe.

Sorry to nitpick,l but I couldn't let that go.

Pffffffffffff! Whatever. BD's guard made hoola hoops spin back to them like boomerangs and it was completely together and in time. That to me is unmatched. "Blue Stars"? Give me a break.

• Like 3

I think part of what BD's victory proves is that jazz running at 4 to 5 at 220 bpm while playing articulated 32nd note runs in 7/8 does not necessarily entitle any corps to win. If you want to do all that, fine, but don't assume that your corps is going to win just because your show is more difficult. It seems to me that being clean generally trumps higher demand.

Now, I admit that the specs above are an exaggeration. But it is also an exaggeration to say that BD just stands around putting on their jackets and only marches half tempo at 8/5 when playing the more difficult passages of their show. Let's give all of the corps credit for what they do and realize that the judges' scores are based on their specific vantage points, subjective perceptions and opinions and pre-set criteria.

Did you just forget that Crown rolls around on the ground for about 3 minutes? Or makes a concert arc while just the guard just twirls cubes for their last minute? The key to Crown getting a title is simple: Stop stopping. Their intros start out nice and slow, speed up for a huge production, then SLAM on the breaks for a ballad. Then the percussion feature is slow and the hornline just does stretches. This has been going on since about 2008. Just keep the energy up throughout the show and a title will be within reach.

• Like 5

Did you just forget that Crown rolls around on the ground for about 3 minutes? Or makes a concert arc while just the guard just twirls cubes for their last minute? The key to Crown getting a title is simple: Stop stopping. Their intros start out nice and slow, speed up for a huge production, then SLAM on the breaks for a ballad. Then the percussion feature is slow and the hornline just does stretches. This has been going on since about 2008. Just keep the energy up throughout the show and a title will be within reach.

But isn't pacing part of the score (indirectly)?

No, I didn't forget that, but thanks for bringing it up. "Fanfare" did seem to drag along, but more movement would probably not have fit the music. But that is still a design issue. I also remember there being very little color on the field (based on what I could see on FN). Crown is still a beast, and it seems that a title was within reach this year. Maybe their design did ultimately hold them back, but their 6th place percussion score certainly didn't help either.

I haven't noticed the pattern you mentioned from 2008 to present. I'll have to check out those shows again.

Pffffffffffff! Whatever. BD's guard made hoola hoops spin back to them like boomerangs and it was completely together and in time. That to me is unmatched. "Blue Stars"? Give me a break.

Did I make any claims about cleanliness or ability? No. I commented on content. And if you ate honest, you will admit that BD's guard has less content than Shapiro's.

And frankly, doing that with a hula hoop is pretty easy. Try it sometime.

EDIT: And I haven't watched any Avd's, but I have my now doubts that finals was as "perfect" as you claim. I was at finals, on the 50, and while I thought it was clean, it certainly didn't make my head pop off either.

Edited by mn trumpter guy

Entirely unrelated here:

I'll give BD at least one thing: they designed some darn good marching shoes. My school used to use Dinkles. My junior year, the director switched us to Drillmasters, and there wasn't a person that didn't at least like them. Those things are comfortable.

Pffffffffffff! Whatever. BD's guard made hoola hoops spin back to them like boomerangs and it was completely together and in time. That to me is unmatched.

That's funny right there.

Those of us who grew up with hoola hoops know how easy that trick is.

Let's see them throw a 6 without bending their knees or running all over the place trying to catch it.

A good rifle line puts a hoola hoop line to shame.

• Like 1

the day Phantom plays jazz and marches on a bicycle is the day a new era has begun. XD

I don't know what you mean by "marching on a bicycle," but Phantom got pretty jazzy with Maynard Ferguson's version of "Pagliacci" in 1991 and with their Gershwin show in 2005.