What does BDs’ victory really mean?

im not saying anything,,,,,and encores dont mean the mass liked or disliked anything......theres lotw of reasons why people stay or dont stay..maybe the bad storms last year..maybe the show...maybe the airport runs...who cares but i dont think it means anything....but to also use lack of people at an encore or a larger amount doesnt dimininsh a corps or make them better either...its only an encore and as far as last year , of course people liked Cadets , it was easy to view and appealed to many.........there were also many many who loved BD last year and this year...yeah yeah I know we all know the majority who liked or didnt like something..lol

what I am saying is I dont think an encore indicates anything...I was also there last year and this and I know I was with alot of cadet alumni during the encore and most were just socializing on the walkways but I can say the same this year , a few hootin and hollerin and most socializing

If it was just a poor showing by the Blue Devils at this year's encore, I wouldn't be saying anything.

But when you combine that with the fact that...

* there have been constant criticisms of the show all year long on BD about it not being entertaining

* many people saying they prefer Crown's show over BD's show all season long

* many people saying they don't like the direction the Blue Devils have gone with show design since the mid-2000's.

* the bloggers from the finals said Crown was definitely the crowd favorite.

* Blue Devils had an abnormally low fan vote at last year's Austin show.

* Blue Devil's show designers admitting they don't care about entertaining the crowds.

...and you'll have a hard time convincing me that the Blue Devil's had as popular a show as Crown this year or the Cadets from last year.

• Like 4

If it was just a poor showing by the Blue Devils at this year's encore, I wouldn't be saying anything.

* there have been constant criticisms of the show all year long on BD about it not being entertaining

* many people saying they don't like the direction the Blue Devils have gone with show design since the mid-2000's.

* Blue Devil's show designers admitting they don't care about entertaining the crowds.

...and you'll have a hard time convincing me that the Blue Devil's had as popular a show as Crown this year or the Cadets from last year.

Im not disagreeing with you just saying the encore doesnt mean a thing and as far as likes or dislikes ,...sure BD goes where others are afraid to but many ( and thats your word )disl;iked Crown also....as far as bloggers, DCP ers or whoever persepectives can be very different...youre right how MANY felt but

there were also MANY who felt the opposite of all the things you said

Edited by GUARDLING

There was a palpable reaction to Crown from the audience that wasn't observable for BD, from where we sat. And I emphasize that last part because I want to be sure that's how it seemed to us, and we were reporting on what we saw from where we were positioned. While I believe a decibel meter would surely bear that out, I would be quite hesitant to proclaim that an overall audience reaction showing a crowd's enthusiasm was equivalent to truly unveiling their sense of awe and respect.

Okay; can someone please tell me what I just said?

sure BD goes where others are afraid to

They definitely go places other people don't. I think it's a hard sell that people don't go there because they are "afraid" to. I think it likely that they don't go there because they don't want to; most groups try to entertain as many people as possible. some also try to push the boundaries of drum corps.

Personally, I feel like BD's design team thinks about entertaining as a secondary (or at least not primary) objective. Not that that is better or worse than other teams. It's just my impression, based on their designs.

DISCLAIMER: I actually found their show this year very interesting (though not 2008-2011).

There was a palpable reaction to Crown from the audience that wasn't observable for BD, from where we sat. And I emphasize that last part because I want to be sure that's how it seemed to us, and we were reporting on what we saw from where we were positioned. While I believe a decibel meter would surely bear that out, I would be quite hesitant to proclaim that an overall audience reaction showing a crowd's enthusiasm was equivalent to truly unveiling their sense of awe and respect.

Out of curiosity, from where you were sitting, what was the crowd reaction to Blue Devils? Was the crowd quiet, unenthusiastic, not engaged? Was there a fair amount of applause? Did you see a noticeable amount of people leaving their seats before BD?

Crown clearly had a great show, and people were rooting for them to win. Did Blue Devils seem to have fans of their own in the stands as well?

by people on DCP, and friends of people on DCP who are no where near the majority of drum corps fans

Crown had a great show, but that means only Crown had a great show. Foo Fighters sell way more records than Tenacious D, but arguably both bands are great in their own right (note: it is inarguable that The D is great. They are: accept it)

again, Crown has great and the fan favorite. Doesn't mean Blue Devils weren't great or appreciated/liked by many.

Last year's show has zero bearing on Blue Devils crowd appeal from this year

Where was that?! I haven't seen that posted anywhere can you please post a link that I must've missed?

Has anyone said this?!

Saying "Blue Devils' were great and I loved their show in 2012" does not mean "I loved Crown's show more than Blue Devils." Like is not mutually exclusive to one brand/show.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, from where you were sitting, what was the crowd reaction to Blue Devils? Was the crowd quiet, unenthusiastic, not engaged? Was there a fair amount of applause? Did you see a noticeable amount of people leaving their seats before BD?

Crown clearly had a great show, and people were rooting for them to win. Did Blue Devils seem to have fans of their own in the stands as well?

I was sitting at the top of Section 440. I'm sure Blue Devils had fans of their own in the stands. And I like to believe I was one of the biggest fans that night. (I personally really enjoyed and appreciated the show.)

But, yes, I'd unfortunately have to admit that much of the crowd was not as engaged in the production as I was. But they also weren't too engaged over the 2010 "Through a Glass, Darkly" production, which also fascinated me. I suspect part of my reaction in 2010 was due to having "City of Glass" when it was on LP and as soon as it came out on CD. I was familiar with it and loved the music.

This year's reaction by many, I believe, was more due to the unique visual presentation that had little precedent. The music wasn't as far "out there" as in 2010, but the audio commentary over the music was a source of distraction for many. After it was explained to me to listen to how the musical cues were being taken from the audio overlay, I became even more fascinated and conscientiously began looking for those.

I suspect more people would have "gotten" the show had they been more exposed in their development to some of the concepts and ideas that the corps' creative staff was using. As for some of the more seemingly random moments...I performed under John Cage and went to dance recitals by innovators such as Merce Cunningham; so I didn't feel intimidated or confused.

When I feel I'm not up to speed on a show, I try what I can to research the creative elements to enlighten my viewpoint. It often works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, I feel I need to try harder.

I hope BD's 2012 show is one that will grow on people the more they watch it on Fan Network or the DVDs. As for the masses that fled the seating area before the corps' victory run-through...that just made me more thankful for those that stayed to show the corps their support and perhaps even to give the trying-to-understand-the-show thing another whirl.

It's certainly interesting to note how people responded to Star of Indiana's "Medea" show of 1993. Now, look at how many times that show comes up as a turning point, as a creative influence, as something many people remember more fondly than they did when it was being performed live.

I hope the same happens with "Cafe Voltaire."

• Like 1

Where was that?! I haven't seen that posted anywhere can you please post a link that I must've missed?

I heard that it was on the Internet. Who said it and what they really meant (if it was said at all) isn't as important as remembering that if someone says it was on the Internet...well, then...you know what I mean? Like, uh-huh?

:shutup:

BD's victory should mean a change in the sheets as they should have won by a good chunk more. :devil:

• Like 1