Blue Stars' Helmet

Why don't Blue Stars use their trademark (literally) helmet anymore? They kept it for a little while, when they had the blue-white split uniform, but now have ditched it in favor of a shako. If they are the only organization that can use that exact style, why don't they? Is the design still trademarked?

Edited by BariDude

They decided it was time to move forward, while still trying to maintain their underlying identity. A uniform doesn't always make a corps, it can help though. The Blue Stars still retain the star on the uniform, they still perform the same style of show they did since becoming Div.1. It's still the Blue Stars. They just changed up their old uniform in order to be a bit more current. I always thought the off-center plume would cause problems, since it made them look off-center a lot when I would watch them.

But the year that they changed the uniform and ditched the helmet, they did make Finals for the first time since 1979, so....

• Like 1

Why don't Blue Stars use their trademark (literally) helmet anymore? They kept it for a little while, when they had the blue-white split uniform, but now have ditched it in favor of a shako. If they are the only organization that can use that exact style, why don't they? Is the design still trademarked?

I think I agree with you on this. Blue Stars in my opinion has changed so much that they began abandoning their roots and have forgetting where they came from (and I myself hate it when organizations and people themselves do this too much). I mean change is ok, but don't forget the time when there wasn't, or don't forget the time in which you didn't have all that stuff. I think when one remembers their roots, it makes them appreciate what they gained a bit more and appreciate who and where they are. I remember when I was there in the Blue Stars, their motto was always tradition, tradition, tradition, but I guess not anymore. I still enjoy them as a corps, but this is just my personal opinion. Modern can be ok too. But, I always admire the corps that remembers their roots, and still manage to do well aka. the Troopers, Cadets, Santa Clara, Cavaliers, Crossmen, Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts. But, I guess many would argue that drum corps itself has abandoned it's roots with all of the added stuff in recent years aka amplifications, etc.

Edited by En929
  • Like 1

I think I agree with you on this. Blue Stars in my opinion has changed so much that they began abandoning their roots and have forgetting where they came from (and I myself hate it when organizations and people themselves do this too much). I mean change is ok, but don't forget the time when there wasn't, or don't forget the time in which you didn't have all that stuff. I think when one remembers their roots, it makes them appreciate what they gained a bit more and appreciate who and where they are. I remember when I was there in the Blue Stars, their motto was always tradition, tradition, tradition, but I guess not anymore. I still enjoy them as a corps, but this is just my personal opinion. Modern can be ok too. But, I always admire the corps that remembers their roots, and still manage to do well aka. the Troopers, Cadets, Santa Clara, Cavaliers, Crossmen, Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts.

Dont worry anyone, it was just a phase. Now that everything is back under blue star family, they will get back to their roots more. I doubt that helmet will come back though, it just doesnt work with any other uniform besides the old school one. Even when I marched they were still rich with tradition, it never went away. Not to flame the previous director again, the helmet was gone before him in 08, but under him he changed the uni to the grey, we had no real history nights, we only played the Jewish Chorale like 2 or 3 times the whole season, and hardley sang it until 2010, when he added his own words to it. And this year, under new direction, I was so extremely pleased to hear them play it before every show I went to during warm up. I do believe they played it at every show too.

• Like 1

It was really distracting at finals...anyone passing over the 50 wearing white turned invisible because of that helmet!!

Oh wait, I'm in the wrong thread again! doh.gif

• Like 1

I personally liked it, and was upset when they switched in the middle of 08. I remember saying in the lot "who the hell is that?" because I didn't recognize the shakos.

If Crossmen ever try shakos again there will be blood shed devil.gif

I agree with those who liked and would like to see a return to the PITH helmet. And the original uniforms never had any "stars" anywhere. The shakos and grey make them unrecognizable and nondistinctive. Return to your roots and quit trying to look like the Blue Stars of Indiana.

The Original LaCrosse® Blue Stars guard wore shorts when all the other guards wore shirts. They were the sex symbols or their day. Of course today, the shorts they wore would be conservative. Now a return to the Navy Blue against the green of the field would look good. The grey and green are too close to each other in the color spectrum to provide any contrast.

• Like 3

I agree with those who liked and would like to see a return to the PITH helmet. And the original uniforms never had any "stars" anywhere. The shakos and grey make them unrecognizable and nondistinctive. Return to your roots and quit trying to look like the Blue Stars of Indiana.

The Original LaCrosse® Blue Stars guard wore shorts when all the other guards wore shirts. They were the sex symbols or their day. Of course today, the shorts they wore would be conservative. Now a return to the Navy Blue against the green of the field would look good. The grey and green are too close to each other in the color spectrum to provide any contrast.

Are you saying the Blue Star guard, back in the day, did not wear shirts? I should have been more alert.

I believe we should expect a Blue Stars uniform change next summer, but I doubt you will see the original helmet.

Edited by mcjordansc

I remember when they switched to the shakos, they said a big part of the reason was they simply couldn't keep the helmets in place doing the much faster movement common today. They had tried numerous options to try and plant them more firmly on the head, but they would still end up crooked on many people, or even falling off, causing potential hazards on the field. That all seemed sensible enough and there was quite a bit of discussion about it.

Hopefully the gray uniforms have seen their last performance. The color absorbed all light and was neither bright nor dark enough to make a crisp impact. Time for something new, with more blue!

• Like 3

I don't mind the shako too much, but the uniform itself is the issue for me.

Blue Stars were one of the FEW corps that had a uniform that is SO strongly associated with their identity. I would say the only other corps that have that would be cavaliers, PR (when they have a baldric), Cadets, scv(ish), troopers, BAC.... only a few corps that when you see them, the uniform is un-mistakenly THEM.

That is HUGE.

Blue Stars had that IMO with the navy blue uniform with the white straps/buckle. Why on earth did they give that up for the current uniform? Does anyone remember when they had a new uniform concept that looked like their old one but with short sleeves (like the oldER uniform)? I was very excited for that but it never happened (it was around the time when they were moving to D1)

I would love for them to return to the classic uniform. If they worried about how it makes the drill pop, add a little more white to the shoulder or something. White helmits/shakos are good enough I think though.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1