Blue Stars' Helmet

People forget that at one point in time, The Cavaliers wore a shako.

I think I agree with you on this. Blue Stars in my opinion has changed so much that they began abandoning their roots and have forgetting where they came from (and I myself hate it when organizations and people themselves do this too much). I mean change is ok, but don't forget the time when there wasn't, or don't forget the time in which you didn't have all that stuff. I think when one remembers their roots, it makes them appreciate what they gained a bit more and appreciate who and where they are. I remember when I was there in the Blue Stars, their motto was always tradition, tradition, tradition, but I guess not anymore. I still enjoy them as a corps, but this is just my personal opinion. Modern can be ok too. But, I always admire the corps that remembers their roots, and still manage to do well aka. the Troopers, Cadets, Santa Clara, Cavaliers, Crossmen, Phantom Regiment, Madison Scouts. But, I guess many would argue that drum corps itself has abandoned it's roots with all of the added stuff in recent years aka amplifications, etc.

I don't mind the shako too much, but the uniform itself is the issue for me.

Blue Stars were one of the FEW corps that had a uniform that is SO strongly associated with their identity. I would say the only other corps that have that would be cavaliers, PR (when they have a baldric), Cadets, scv(ish), troopers, BAC.... only a few corps that when you see them, the uniform is un-mistakenly THEM.

That is HUGE.

Blue Stars had that IMO with the navy blue uniform with the white straps/buckle. Why on earth did they give that up for the current uniform? Does anyone remember when they had a new uniform concept that looked like their old one but with short sleeves (like the oldER uniform)? I was very excited for that but it never happened (it was around the time when they were moving to D1)

I would love for them to return to the classic uniform. If they worried about how it makes the drill pop, add a little more white to the shoulder or something. White helmits/shakos are good enough I think though.

I agree with this entirely. Anyone who says that old school uniforms cannot work in today's activity needs to look a few places above the Blue Stars and see the Madison Scouts. I think the old school Stars uniform would already work better than that just because of the two white stripes across the chest.

As far as the helmet, was it just the right-side plume that made it off-balance? Phantom and Bluecoats seem to have little trouble with theirs...

I agree with this entirely. Anyone who says that old school uniforms cannot work in today's activity needs to look a few places above the Blue Stars and see the Madison Scouts. I think the old school Stars uniform would already work better than that just because of the two white stripes across the chest.

As far as the helmet, was it just the right-side plume that made it off-balance? Phantom and Bluecoats seem to have little trouble with theirs...

Oh I forgot to put Madison on that list. They were lost for a while, but now they're found :)

Could someone please post some pictures in this thread, or link to them? I for the life of me can't remember the helmets in question (its very possible I never saw them live.)

Google image search brought me this one

l.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo Spandy! Brings a tear to my eye.

The originals were a little darker blue, had short sleeves and the plumes were not as big. And the guard wore shorts as I mentioned previously while all other guards wore shirts. Blue Stars started as a color guard on Brice Prairie, WI and then they formed a corps by absorbing an existing corps from LaCrescent, MN known as the AppleArrows. In about their third or fourth season they tried foil plumes instead of feather plumes.

I think a return to modern versions of any of the original "look" would be a move in the right direction. As others had said, when you're one of 13 founders of the (dci) activity and you have spent so much time and money to develop an instantly recognizable identity (i.e., Cavies, Scouts, SCV, Garfield, Troopers etc.) why would you abandon it?

It would be like the Kilties coming back in shakos and pants!