Blue Stars' Helmet

Grey uniforms suck. No matter who wears them, they look like crap and don't work. I'd change those before anything else.

• Like 5

First, i agree with those that don't like the gray. Wouldnt surprise me to see that go away whenever the next uniform change is made.

As to the old (-06) uniform, it really had to go. The helmet never fit a lot of members well despite numerous different things tried (in addtion, they also stained pretty easily, especially with those red plumes). The cross straps detracted from the corps visually (a giant X on everyone's chest is great for showing off dirt). The old uniform cut also had issues (Though that could be fixed).

If it were my choice, i'd go for something based off of the 08-09 uniform. The main problem with it was the jacket was designed for the half and half pants that went with it, so while the switch to white pants looked a ton better (and was much less of a visual nightmare), it never quite fit. Design it with white pants from the start and it'd be great. Wouldn't be opposed to some sort of helmet if it fit with the design, but would need to be something new, designed to fit better.

Edited by AlexL

I thought the grey (gray?) worked well for Houdini, but as a general uniform I liked the 2008-2009 white pants better.

I understand and agree with the reasons for changing from the old blue and cross-straps, but it would be cool to see those return in some variation.

I know in 2008 when we changed from the helmets to the shakos there was a lot of uproar from the veterans. The shakos with that uniform definitely look better, though. As much as I would love to see the helmets return, I would want them to renovate the inner mechanism so they stay straight and fit everyone.

I would love to see a return to the helmet, but it would have to be redesigned from the inside and that would be costly. The solution to the fit and stability issue - Take the stripped bottom half of a shako and affix the shell of the helmet over that. This could be done by a manufacturer, but at what price. They were also heavy by comparison, so they would have to be made lighter. Another problem was that the shell of the helmet was only one size, so what fit and looked good on one person wouldn't necessarily look good on another. So, there would have to be different sizes made, again more costly and possibly a slight uniformity issue. Another poster said the helmets stained easily and that's true, but nothing a little white shoe polish couldn't fix. There isn't an easy solution and I think that's why they went with a shako, it was easy, but good things are rarely easy and I think it would be to their benefit to explore the redesign possibilities. It would be a significant initial cost, but might be worth it in the long run.

Never liked the cross-belts. There, I said it.

Why not a helmet w/centered plume, a la Regiment and Bluecoats?

Mike

No offense, Mike, but...it wouldn't be the Blue Stars. As to all the visual criticism of the helmet and uniform...honestly, I don't really care. I consider the visual identity of the corps more important than some designer or judge's subjective view on the matter. Now, talking about creating a newer uniform that incorporates aspects that are still uniquely Blue Stars but is more modern? Absolutely, I'm open to the idea, though I'm not exactly the one to do a rendering of what that would look like.

I'm not saying that the corps needs to perpetually look like the Blue Stars Monster, but the whole "they kept the star" in thing...the star's never been part of the traditional uniform, so that doesn't really sway me. I'd like to see what a modern take on the classic would look like, if Madison can do it we sure as hell can.

If the star was centered with an appearance of straps?

Now here...is the "classic" Blue Stars uniform, complete with belt, white leather striped helmet, and "brillo" plume:

FFBlueStars1.jpg

FFBlueStars2.jpg

Edited by bluestarsfco

Grey uniforms suck. No matter who wears them, they look like crap and don't work. I'd change those before anything else.

Yup. When a corps comes out with grey pants, it tells me one thing: you want to hide dirt. Grey, more than any other color (including green) blends in with grass. It's entirely a contrast thing, I think