Blue Stars' Helmet

Now here...is the "classic" Blue Stars uniform, complete with belt, white leather striped helmet, and "brillo" plume:

FFBlueStars1.jpg

FFBlueStars2.jpg

That's it. The ORIGINAL LaCrosse® Blue Stars. The real deal!

Edited by Martin I. Zing

Incidentally, the leather version of the helmet had webbing inside to adjust the fit. There was still one around at the old corps hall (and probably the new one too) complete with brillo plume and all.

No offense, Mike, but...it wouldn't be the Blue Stars. As to all the visual criticism of the helmet and uniform...honestly, I don't really care. I consider the visual identity of the corps more important than some designer or judge's subjective view on the matter. Now, talking about creating a newer uniform that incorporates aspects that are still uniquely Blue Stars but is more modern? Absolutely, I'm open to the idea, though I'm not exactly the one to do a rendering of what that would look like.

I'm not saying that the corps needs to perpetually look like the Blue Stars Monster, but the whole "they kept the star" in thing...the star's never been part of the traditional uniform, so that doesn't really sway me. I'd like to see what a modern take on the classic would look like, if Madison can do it we sure as hell can.

I have to agree... The one thing the corps might be able to do (having never seen one of pr's or bc's helmets) is steal the inside design- again, not sure what that looks like, but I remember a significant "fitting" issue when they wore the helmets, even in early 2008

No offense, Mike, but...it wouldn't be the Blue Stars. As to all the visual criticism of the helmet and uniform...honestly, I don't really care. I consider the visual identity of the corps more important than some designer or judge's subjective view on the matter. Now, talking about creating a newer uniform that incorporates aspects that are still uniquely Blue Stars but is more modern? Absolutely, I'm open to the idea, though I'm not exactly the one to do a rendering of what that would look like.

I'm not saying that the corps needs to perpetually look like the Blue Stars Monster, but the whole "they kept the star" in thing...the star's never been part of the traditional uniform, so that doesn't really sway me. I'd like to see what a modern take on the classic would look like, if Madison can do it we sure as hell can.

I agree with you Dave (no Regiment/ Blucoats helmet for the Blue Stars) though I will admit their uniform was probably my favorite in all of DCI. I can understand the corps wanting to modernize but they moved from a uniform that was instantly recognizable to a cookie-cutter uniform that any band could have worn.

I could see how the special helmets were hard to fit but as for the off-centered plumes...they seemed to work fine for Carolina Crown. Im sure there is a way to construct a helmet that won't fall off.

Personally I'm all for the blue uniform, white cummerbund, white pants stripes, white shoes, white cross buckles, white helmet, and RED plume.

If I recall, the guy who made their uniform posted a lot of his samples on DCP a few years ago. He made some great stuff (including a few modern takes on the Blue Stars uniform). Maybe they'll be going back to one of those sketches.

Either way, good luck to the Blue Stars next season!

I thought the 07-09 uni was pretty slick and not as cookie cutter as some might think. Here is an interesting article I looked up about the redesigned uniforms that Michael Cesario had designed, and it really just lookes awesome in sketch. http://www.bluestars.org/news_archive.php?archive_year=2002

A couple interesting facts about the blue stars uniform.

-First corps to use gauntlets.

-The helmet design is unique and trademarked by the corps. No other corps or band can use the exact same design as part of their uniform.

I just threw this design together real quick in response to some comments in this thread. Possible old school/new school feel?

CLB-1-1.png

Edited by TubaJon
  • Like 2

Why don't Blue Stars use their trademark (literally) helmet anymore? They kept it for a little while, when they had the blue-white split uniform, but now have ditched it in favor of a shako. If they are the only organization that can use that exact style, why don't they? Is the design still trademarked?

If you really want to know, you should contact the Blue Stars organization directly. But to me it sounds more like you're saying "I don't like the shako. I think they should go back to the helmet." Yes, no, maybe so?

Peace,

Fred O.

Stick a mirror where the buckle would be, and I'm sold! :thumbup:

• Like 1

We're gettin' there. A darker NAVY blue and a return to the PITH helmet and I could vote for it. Good job to all who have contributed to this discussion. Thank you.

Crossmen are ready to write a check.

• Like 1